Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
The single biggest thing you can do is just the tune though, hands down that's the biggest gain by far, for the least effort. You can get huge gains across the board with that. With a good tune, your 80mph+ performance is much, much higher.
Agreed. My tune is definitely the most noticeable at highway speeds - it just piles on speed with total ease.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I’m with Engineer - by far the biggest bang for the buck is a tune - but if you have any concerns for your warranty, you’ll have to forgo that until your warranty expires (or your concerns do. Whichever comes first!). Looking back on my 5+ years and 122k of ownership, next on my list of suggestions is lightweight wheels and tires. Considering that you’ll probably delay getting a tune, I’ve learned from experience that lighter wheels and tires really make a difference you can feel in acceleration. They’re going to be expensive, very expensive. My philosophy on expensive parts is get them while the car is young so you can enjoy them and theoretically spread the cost over a longer period of ownership. In other words, don’t buy $3000 worth of wheels and tires and then sell the car a year later. Same thing with turbos, intercooler, and downpipes, all of which (IMO) really aren’t needed without a tune. They are medium to high effort to install if you DIY, costly if you pay someone else, and those costs stack up if you don’t do the whole package at once, as work gets done, then redone again. As far as exhaust…well, good luck. As you’ll see while you dig through the archives here, bolt-on exhausts for these cars that actually improve performance are unicorns. Most of the guys pushing the envelope have gone full custom (myself included) and there’s a number of philosophies being applied. Not to mention it’s also a very expensive route to go if you don’t have a lift, can’t weld, or don’t have access to a friendly person who does. One important thing that I can share with you is that if my ownership experience is any reflection, you will not regret buying this car. You will enjoy driving it even if it’s bone stock. I’ve gotten waaay more for my money than I hoped for. As far as all-weather (and I do mean ALL) performance, comfort, practicality, fun, and style, there’s nothing like it for the price. Enjoy!

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I’m with Engineer - by far the biggest bang for the buck is a tune - but if you have any concerns for your warranty, you’ll have to forgo that until your warranty expires (or your concerns do. Whichever comes first!). Looking back on my 5+ years and 122k of ownership, next on my list of suggestions is lightweight wheels and tires. Considering that you’ll probably delay getting a tune, I’ve learned from experience that lighter wheels and tires really make a difference you can feel in acceleration. They’re going to be expensive, very expensive. My philosophy on expensive parts is get them while the car is young so you can enjoy them and theoretically spread the cost over a longer period of ownership. In other words, don’t buy $3000 worth of wheels and tires and then sell the car a year later. Same thing with turbos, intercooler, and downpipes, all of which (IMO) really aren’t needed without a tune. They are medium to high effort to install if you DIY, costly if you pay someone else, and those costs stack up if you don’t do the whole package at once, as work gets done, then redone again. As far as exhaust…well, good luck. As you’ll see while you dig through the archives here, bolt-on exhausts for these cars that actually improve performance are unicorns. Most of the guys pushing the envelope have gone full custom (myself included) and there’s a number of philosophies being applied. Not to mention it’s also a very expensive route to go if you don’t have a lift, can’t weld, or don’t have access to a friendly person who does. One important thing that I can share with you is that if my ownership experience is any reflection, you will not regret buying this car. You will enjoy driving it even if it’s bone stock. I’ve gotten waaay more for my money than I hoped for. As far as all-weather (and I do mean ALL) performance, comfort, practicality, fun, and style, there’s nothing like it for the price. Enjoy!
I agree with pretty much all of that. I've actually thought a lot about the intercooler thing, and my impression is if you're going to do back-to-back pulls on a track or something like that, and want the best time slips, you definitely want the intercooler. Otherwise, for a daily driver, I don't think it matters because the stock intercooler will do a decent job. I actually think even a tuned car will generally do fine with the stock intercooler if you're just using it as a daily or something, and just want to be competitive in common traffic situations, and have some more fun. I think the aftermarket intercooler becomes useful though if you're spending a lot of time at the track looking for the best times back to back.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you for the helpful info!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
What kind of tune are you running, if you don’t mind sharing?
Oh jeez, you're opening up a can of worms :ROFLMAO: Folks get very opinionated on this topic and will defend their choice to the death! I'll recommend right off the bat that you do your own research and not just trust what strangers on the internet say.

That said, since you asked, I have a Livernois tune. The other popular choices are Unleashed and Tuning By James.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oh jeez, you're opening up a can of worms :ROFLMAO: Folks get very opinionated on this topic and will defend their choice to the death! I'll recommend right off the bat that you do your own research and not just trust what strangers on the internet say.

That said, since you asked, I have a Livernois tune. The other popular choices are Unleashed and Tuning By James.
HP Tuners! But only if you want to do your own tuning. 😉

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Tuning By Engineer???? :)
There are several of us doing it on here, making our own changes and data logging the car, then adjusting it again. It's sort of like you do with Unleashed or something, except you can actually see what's going on and make your own changes. 😎

I actually got the system initially because I just wanted to see inside, and learn more about the car. You definitely get to do that with HP Tuners! There's so much to learn. But it gives you a level of control you just don't get if you rely on someone else to tune your car.

It's definitely not as simple though, there's a lot more involved with it, but that's kind of what most of us who use it wanted. 🙂

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

I’ve heard great things from all of those companies, lol. I definitely plan on doing my own research. What gravitated you toward that versus another tune?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I’ve heard great things from all of those companies, lol. I definitely plan on doing my own research. What gravitated you toward that versus another tune?
I'm a bit reluctant but I'll share some thoughts. A couple of caveats first:
  1. This is all just my opinion, based on my knowledge, my experience, my research, etc. As I said before, don't believe any of my crap - do your own research!
  2. I reached out and talked to Livernois, Unleashed, and Tuning By James. All three seemed like great options; all three are highly regarded and have good reputations; and I honestly can't say anything negative about any of them.

That said, I believe that they achieve different goals. Livernois is more suitable for set-it-and-forget-it folks who are happy with just a more conservative safe tune that leaves a bit of performance on the table, and are not going to be doing additional mods. On the flip side, Unleashed and Tuning By James will get you the most performance and they will work with you to tune around your mods. That's why Livernois doesn't need data logs - it's the same tune going on the same cars, much like Ford doesn't ask customers for data logs for every car. Once you start doing additional mods, suddenly every customer's car is unique and the other two tuners are (more) happy to tweak around those changes.

I was happy to go with a more conservative tune. It gives me a peace of mind (I am NOT suggesting that cars with Unleashed or James's tunes are in any way unreliable - this is just my own subjective feeling of comfort and ease). Thus, I liked the idea of a canned tune (vs a more custom one), figuring that maybe a bit more time was spent on a single tune rather than countless different (largely similar) ones. I also liked that Livernois has been around for a while and that they have ties to Ford - again, gives me some peace of mind.

Now, for this next part keep in mind that I've never driven a car tuned by Unleashed or by James - like I said, they have great reputations but I have no experience with their product. That said, I like my Livernois tune a lot. It was easy to install and I've done literally nothing else (not even spark plugs or thermostat). The car feels OEM but just turned up to eleven - sharper, more responsive, more fun, and definitely faster. I'm a bit bummed out that it took very little time for me to get used to the power and no longer find it impressive (not their fault obviously), but on the first drive after the tune I was giggling like a school girl. I also find that the car is now... too fast for my local roads (again, this is specific to my area); it's rare that I have the room to really let 'er rip, mostly just highway on ramps.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Black LMS 93V6, GFB Diverter, K&N panel, 165* thermo Ultimate Perf FMI
16 Posts
Welcome and Congrats!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts