Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at jacking up Ruby with my floor jack and the only places to put a jack is on the wielded frame/body seams. I know this is where most new cars are jacked up from but their must be a better way. It seems to me that you could easily damage the seams with your floor jack. I found some rubber jacking pads on Amazon that have a slot in them for the body seam to sit in. They look pretty good to me but a bit expensive for a slotted Hockey puck. Anyone had any experience with these or what do you use when jacking up your car?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
this is so much cheaper and easier

Attachments

Reactions: MY27FUSION and TomS

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
LOL No. I was just using D&D's description. But yeah. It's a good idea.
i had to look it up and Subie guys posted that idea instead of using the 2x4 idea...

Im gonna have to go to my folks place and see if i have any left there

Reactions: D&D and 1153

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've done both and you can do it with a hockey puck. Unfortunately a 2x4 doesn't. The whole point is not to jack up by the pinch point but around it so you don't damage it.

This is what I've done in the past.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm going to try and find poly urethane some where and make my own

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decided to try the Hockey puck retrofit. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just finished making my own custom made jacking pads. I made 4 of them for when the car is put on a hoist. Used 8 hockey pucks total. I screwed 2 together for each pad. I cut a slot 5/8 inch deep with my table saw. One cut is sufficiently wide for the pinch weld seam. I tried them out on the hoist at the shop and with my floor jack at home and they work perfectly with no damage to the pinch weld seam or body panels. Cost was $15.49 for 8 pucks and $1.29 for a bag of screws. Total cost $16.78 including tax.:) I may try to sell the dealership on them when I go in tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my puck update. When putting the (jacking pucks, this is my newly invented term) on the car so it can be raised with a hoist I found that the pucks would not hold their position on the spot weld seam with out someone holding them. This makes it time consuming with 4 pucks. Tomorrow I am going to stick the pucks on permanently with urethane caulking on the inside of the seam and the top inside half of the puck. The bottom of the lower puck only hangs down about 1/2 inch below the body panel. You can only see it if you are laying on the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be careful when ordering a pre-made weld seam jack adapter online:
Most vehicles have shallow weld seams, so most of the options online have slot depths of about half an inch. They will not work well with the Fusion Sport weld seams (or will require some modification).
Fusion Sport weld seams are over an inch deep. Measure your weld seam before you buy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jack Point on Fusions

Great comments gentlemen. I used a ~ 4 inch 2X4 with a 5/8 slot. Took two passed on the table saw. Worked great. Cost nothing. Got a black 19 Sport, awesome ride...don't see many. Cheers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I know this is older and this isnt the answer sought but just buy the steeda jacking rails. Took no time to install, and placing the jack under the car takes 2 seconds. The time I've saved from trying to place and arrange some hockey puck/home brewed deal alone was worth the $.

Reactions: Carrie

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had some jack pucks that I originally purchased for a 2016 Corvette< & found they work on our 2018 Fusion also. They stay in place during use since they insert into the slotted hole in the "frame" rail. I remove & put them back on the shelf when done using.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've just used the magnetic seam adapters on all my vehicles. The hockey pucks are generally too big to work on certain cars with excessive body effects.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts