Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my fusion sport last August with 21,000 miles (I am now at almost 37,000 miles). it feels like something is binding in the front or rear when I am turning, sounds like rumble strips which only started when the dealership replaced the transmission and both front axles 3,000 miles ago after my drivers front axle snapped. I just put 4 new tires on the car which seemed to calm the issue down slightly but I am still paranoid that something is going to break and leave me stranded again. Has anyone else had or is having the same issue????

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take her straight back and tell them to fix it.
I just took it back today again, I have taken it back several times but they tell me that the tech didn't feel anything wrong.. I am hoping that this time they will find something but was just curious if anyone else has experienced this...

·
Registered
335 Posts
You say the replaced the transmission, but did they do any work on the PTU?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ask your dealer if your repeated requests for them to find and repair something in the driveline are on record, and will they cover the eventual repairs when whatever is wrong finally fails. Maybe you should go to a different dealer for a “second opinion”? It’s a long story but I had to have my rear differential replaced due to being towed to my dealer nose-up by Ford Roadside Service when my engine failed. It was unknown to me and my dealer that it had been towed that way. While bringing it home from getting the new engine, the damaged rear diff behaved and sounded the way you described your “gremlin”. Except there was no way anyone couldn’t hear or feel it. I didn’t see where you said why your axle snapped but perhaps whatever those problems were extended to your rear diff as well. I also strongly second maydk65 on the PTU as a potential culprit.

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say the replaced the transmission, but did they do any work on the PTU?
All that i know is that they replaced the transmission and both axles because there was metal in the trans fluid

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ask your dealer if your repeated requests for them to find and repair something in the driveline are on record, and will they cover the eventual repairs when whatever is wrong finally fails. Maybe you should go to a different dealer for a “second opinion”? It’s a long story but I had to have my rear differential replaced due to being towed to my dealer nose-up by Ford Roadside Service when my engine failed. It was unknown to me and my dealer that it had been towed that way. While bringing it home from getting the new engine, the damaged rear diff behaved and sounded the way you described your “gremlin”. Except there was no way anyone couldn’t hear or feel it. I didn’t see where you said why your axle snapped but perhaps whatever those problems were extended to your rear diff as well. I also strongly second maydk65 on the PTU as a potential culprit.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like the transfer case in the back, We built a few cars that ended up needed it replaced due to issues with it binding up when turning sharp in lots, makes all kinds of racket too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
FYI - in the event it’s a rear differential problem; when mine was damaged the dealer replaced it entirely with a complete center section that shipped from Ford assembled and even with fluid in it. They told me (in 2017) that Ford does not recommend nor sell components to repair that assembly. I say this in case your dealer tells you they’ll crack open the assembly and replace the clutch packs or something like that. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI - in the event it’s a rear differential problem; when mine was damaged the dealer replaced it entirely with a complete center section that shipped from Ford assembled and even with fluid in it. They told me (in 2017) that Ford does not recommend nor sell components to repair that assembly. I say this in case your dealer tells you they’ll crack open the assembly and replace the clutch packs or something like that. Good luck!
The dealership just called me and told me that they will be replacing the clutch packs in the rear transfer case, I asked them about ford not recommending to crack the assembly open and they told me that they are following the warranty handbook.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Idk - maybe things have changed. My car had roughly 17k on it and Ford Roadside Assistance was guilty for damaging it. I had just had my engine completely replaced too, when many Sport owners only got new heads. So maybe it depends on how hard the dealership fights Ford on behalf of the customer or maybe Ford has had a change of mind when it comes to those differentials. As long as it’s done right, and the work is warranted by the dealer, then I guess it’s ok. I’m going to ask my service manager and see if knows anything about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The clutch pack is easy to change, biggest reason they go that route. Pulling the whole unit is another story, if they had made the axles bolt on like a lot of other manufactures, they job would be a piece of cake, but when you have to pull the axle out of the diff in order to remove it, things get more involved.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The rdu clutch pack is not a serviceable/replaceable item.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you sure about that ? You can buy them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When you look at Ford parts diagrams it notes the assembly as “required” which indicates it’s a full replacement, not dealer rebuild. My dealer service manager says this is of particular importance regarding warranty claims. Ford will typically require dealerships to replace certain complicated or “difficult to get right” components with preassembled factory units to avoid further liability/customer ill will as a result of trusting a dealership mechanic to bench build something. Or even worse, some dealerships sublet the work to third party shops, and if something goes wrong, the customer is in for a messy experience as everyone points fingers at each other.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's part of a service kit, so I think it's listed separately in the parts catalog.

SSM 46965 - 2013-2018 Various Vehicles - Rear Axle Noise – Low Speed Parking Lot Maneuvers – After Extended Driving

Some 2013-2018 Escape/EcoSport/Edge/MKX/MKC/MKT/Fusion/Flex/Kuga/Mondeo all-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles may exhibit a clunk, thump, grinding, popping, shuddering or chattering from the rear axle when the vehicle is turning during parking lot or figure 8 maneuvers at low speed after extended driving. Replace the RDU clutch using service kit CV6Z-4A232-A. The Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 205-02 has been updated to include this repair. For claiming, use causal part 4A232 and applicable labor operations in Section 04 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, I’m not an expert. I just play one on Internet forums! Ha!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts