Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that that is used on the Mustang?

Was speaking with someone that pours over all things Mustang and Ford and I asked him about the Fusion. He was excited about the engine, indicated the suspension is the same that is used on the Mustang, also that the car in general for what you get in the price range is a big winner.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard mention of the mustang having active suspension so I would be inclined to say no, they're not the same.

I'm pretty sure that the FFS's active suspension came from over at the Lincoln camp, not from the mustang.

maybe the standard fusions share some components, but they are far from being the same.

·
Registered
481 Posts
the mustang is strictly RWD and obviously the fusion is AWD(most of the time FWD) so i would also say a big no lol. However there might be smaller components that could be similiar? (doubt it)

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
The Fusion Sport has CCD (Continuously Controlled Dampening) suspension, where the valves in the shocks are controlled electronically. The Mustang GT350 has MagneRide, where the fluid in the shocks has magnetic properties, and different electrical supplies to the shocks change the physical properties of the fluid itself. Basically, no they're not the same, but do the same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rear sub frame, control arms, shock tops, and probably more parts are the same on the Mustang as the Fusion. I've seen both on a lift at the same time and compared. The only difference between the shocks on the two cars seems to be travel and maybe stiffness. There was a member on the 2gfusions forums that ran Mustang springs on her Fusion.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
The rear sub frame, control arms, shock tops, and probably more parts are the same on the Mustang as the Fusion. I've seen both on a lift at the same time and compared. The only difference between the shocks on the two cars seems to be travel and maybe stiffness. There was a member on the 2gfusions forums that ran Mustang springs on her Fusion.
I'm sure shock tops/mounts and other small(er) parts are the same, but do you have proof that the Mustang's RWD coupe sub-frame is the same as the Fusion's AWD sedan sub-frame? I can't see that one being true... Looking up the two parts online at least, they do appear to be different.

Didn't people have to use the Mustang springs upside down for the Fusion? And wouldn't different suspension travel mean different suspension parts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure shock tops/mounts and other small(er) parts are the same, but do you have proof that the Mustang's RWD coupe sub-frame is the same as the Fusion's AWD sedan sub-frame? I can't see that one being true... Looking up the two parts online at least, they do appear to be different.

Didn't people have to use the Mustang springs upside down for the Fusion? And wouldn't different suspension travel mean different suspension parts?
As far as actual proof of the sub frames being the same, I have none. I was at a buddy's shop for an alignment on my 2016 and both cars were in the air. We were just looking at the two cars and comparing and it all appeared to be very close. Makes me wonder how hard it would be to put Mustang hubs on a Fusion for their bolt pattern, brakes, etc.

For the springs, you may be right for them turning them upside down, the springs shouldn't have been on that car considering the weight difference and distribution being different with the two cars.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
As far as actual proof of the sub frames being the same, I have none. I was at a buddy's shop for an alignment on my 2016 and both cars were in the air. We were just looking at the two cars and comparing and it all appeared to be very close. Makes me wonder how hard it would be to put Mustang hubs on a Fusion for their bolt pattern, brakes, etc.

For the springs, you may be right for them turning them upside down, the springs shouldn't have been on that car considering the weight difference and distribution being different with the two cars.
Maybe the rear is close (seems unlikely, just due to the stang rear being an 8.8 and having axle shafts
that have to handle full driveline torque), but I have 2015 stang GT takeoff rotors/calipers and they are nothing
like the Sport.

I already posted pics of how hard it would be to put S197 brembos on, and the stock 2015
4 pistons calipers are huge compared to them (bottom is S197 brembos, top of S550 stock GT)

The rotor hat on 2015's is very tall, compared to S197 or the Sport also.

Here is the S550 calipers on S197 rotors and the Sport rotors are very similar to S197 stock GT's.
Would need ungodly spacers.

Sport rotor

Maybe you can replace "spindles" on both ends, but it would seem odd that a 2WD with massive brakes,
and a "FWD" with smaller brakes, would have the same geometry spindles, but you never know I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts