Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading articles on various sites that keep talking about Ford's "2nd generation" EcoBoost engines. Specifically that the 2.7L and 3.5L engines now have both direct injection AND multi-port injection, thereby preventing carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. But... I have not found concrete proof. Has anyone seen/read/heard anything definitive? I'd like to think that my 2017 Fusion Sport has the latest engine technology, especially when dealing with the carbon buildup (which I'm still not sold on is a real problem if one uses proper oil).
Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been reading articles on various sites that keep talking about Ford's "2nd generation" EcoBoost engines. Specifically that the 2.7L and 3.5L engines now have both direct injection AND multi-port injection, thereby preventing carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. But... I have not found concrete proof. Has anyone seen/read/heard anything definitive? I'd like to think that my 2017 Fusion Sport has the latest engine technology, especially when dealing with the carbon buildup (which I'm still not sold on is a real problem if one uses proper oil).
Thanks.
I'm almost certain that our 2.7 ONLY has direct injection, as does the F150... but the 2.7 in the edge sport does infact have the extra injector(s). I may be wrong, but thats how I understand it.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Russ-

I think the "2nd generation" only applies to the 3.5L in the 2017 F150. I think there are some "lessons learned" incorporated and they have given it a moniker since it is a somewhat revised motor compared to what was in there prior. I am almost certain that our 2.7 "only" has direct injection but that really is state-of-art and provides significant benefit to multi-port injection as proven by the performance, drive-ability, and mileage we are apparently enjoying the ... "heck" out of.... :).

I haven't done enough research to speak authoritatively about the benefit of both Direct and Multiport... but I understand the benefits we've all gained from Fuel Injection vs Carburetors, to Multiport, to Direct.... I promise they are great. Ford will also likely be able to justify the additional complexity and expense to the very latest small improvement to the F150.... they sell a few of those. Us guys got it pretty good right now and I don't see that we should expect a bunch of $$ going into something Fusion specific... we will likely get the trickle down, but as I said... the briar patch is not a terrible place for some...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just an afterthought.... I feel for your desire to get the latest and best technology, but what's state-of-the-current-art today certainly won't be tomorrow.... Don't let one specific technology advance cause buyer's remorse or delay a purchase unless it is of absolute necessity (you define necessity) .... To some extent (NO dig to Ford or the need to market).... all car companies will delay or incorporate incremental changes to feed your very desire..... I've owned a bunch of vehicles and I remember being particularly perturbed when the year following purchase that a certain unnamed German manufacturer with a three consonant name came up with a 6 spd vs 5 spd AND added 10 more horsepower.... DONT FALL FOR IT!

You results may vary...

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our FS is in the shop for an engine issue. There has been a long delay (2 weeks) on getting our issue taken care of because they claim this is a brand new version of the 2.7L Ecoboost.

So yes....I believe our 2017 Sports have a brand new generation of the Ecoboost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you see the news on the new F150? They are saying it will have a new 2.7L V6 that has both direct and port injection.

Ours is not this new engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you are correct! If you look at the f150 brochure for 2017, on page 7 it states the 3.5L has two injectors one in the cylinder and one above in the intake. For the 2.7L. it states it only has Direct injection..

I cant post the link since Im new but its on Fords website, the .pdf file (just lookup 2017 f150 brochure)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts