Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! William here, aka Old Man Fusion. Greetings from snowy Colorado!

I thought I'd tentatively poke my head in here...

Currently, I drive a '13 Ford Taurus SHO. It's been a great ride for the last seven years, but "Ragin' Bull" is beginning to show its age. At 117k on the odometer, the suspension's going south, the MAP sensors need cleaning (AGAIN), one power door lock actuator has burned out, the windshield's showing the effects of being a CO car...

...It's tired. And the fixes for all of these things are going to end up being more expensive than the car is worth. Forgot to mention: I'm speed-limited on the interstate. Not really by choice---the hood latch failed last summer. It didn't fly all the way up, but it popped up against the retaining hook at 75 mph...didn't need any more coffee after that...I-25 through CO Springs is a madhouse, and this happened in traffic, so...yeah, I can't get it over 70-75, or the hood starts fluttering so badly that it looks like it's gonna fly up.

I've found a gently used '19 FFS at Phil Long Ford here in the Springs. Looks VERY well optioned, and 16-17k miles isn't too bad for a one year old car. Wanted to solicit some opinions on it...I've been lurking around this forum seeing reports of leaky oil pans, pothole detection systems that don't really work, etc...the posts have got me a little nervous. I'm looking at either this, or a 2018 Buick Regal GS that I've found up in Castle Rock.

Here's a link, hope it works for all of you: https://www.phillongford.com/used/Ford/2019-Ford-Fusion-37a7f1dd0a0e0a170c726414814ed703.htm?mycarsr=vdp-recentCars

My biggest issue right now is financing. I'm coming off of a long employment drought; was out of work between November '18 and January of this year. As if that wasn't bad enough, my wife was diagnosed with two forms of breast cancer last May.

Things are better now; I've got two jobs, one as a GS-9 with the Army, another as a part-time security guard at a construction site in Denver. I'm about to take on a third, as a published author, this coming summer as long as the COVID doesn't screw me over at the editing level. But my credit rating is mortally damaged after over a year of late/unpaid bills. I'm a cosigner on my wife's car; the amount of time off she's had to take for her cancer treatments caused her car to get repossessed. Fortunately, with our tax returns, we were able to reclaim it. But the financial hit is bad...really bad.

So anyway...here's the TL;DR version: Introducing myself, long-time Fusion fan, think I've found one that I like, bad financial history, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hi and welcome , hang in there it will get better ….

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Old Man Fusion, I sure admire your positive attitude, given all the difficulties that you and your wife are overcoming.

As far as your candidate Sport goes, it looks fine to me. You could ask the dealer to ensure that all the car's software is current.

I like my '17 a lot, I still enjoy climbing in every time for a drive.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I loved my 2014 SHO even though it had a lot of nit noid problems. Stock vs Stock and Tuned vs Tuned, the SHO was a much faster car than the Fusion Sport. That 3.5 EcoBoost has 100+ ft-lb more torque when launching and that comes on at 2700-3000 RPM whereas you need to spin that 2.7 EcoBoost to 4000 RPM or more to get the most grunt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome Old Man. Thanks for sharing your story. For the most part I can't recall any 19 owners sharing any warranty horror stories. The big ones were predominantly with 17's and the odd 18. The oil pan issue one that might be carrying through.
As a value for money daily driver, you won't do much better if you want some comfort and technology included. I would figure a comparable life to the SHO before you'd look to turn it over. As long as you remember it's still a Ford and not a 50k European car you'll be very happy. 3 year ownership next week and still loving it like it was the first week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello all! William here, aka Old Man Fusion. Greetings from snowy Colorado!

I thought I'd tentatively poke my head in here...

Currently, I drive a '13 Ford Taurus SHO. It's been a great ride for the last seven years, but "Ragin' Bull" is beginning to show its age. At 117k on the odometer, the suspension's going south, the MAP sensors need cleaning (AGAIN), one power door lock actuator has burned out, the windshield's showing the effects of being a CO car...

...It's tired. And the fixes for all of these things are going to end up being more expensive than the car is worth. Forgot to mention: I'm speed-limited on the interstate. Not really by choice---the hood latch failed last summer. It didn't fly all the way up, but it popped up against the retaining hook at 75 mph...didn't need any more coffee after that...I-25 through CO Springs is a madhouse, and this happened in traffic, so...yeah, I can't get it over 70-75, or the hood starts fluttering so badly that it looks like it's gonna fly up.

I've found a gently used '19 FFS at Phil Long Ford here in the Springs. Looks VERY well optioned, and 16-17k miles isn't too bad for a one year old car. Wanted to solicit some opinions on it...I've been lurking around this forum seeing reports of leaky oil pans, pothole detection systems that don't really work, etc...the posts have got me a little nervous. I'm looking at either this, or a 2018 Buick Regal GS that I've found up in Castle Rock.

Here's a link, hope it works for all of you: Used 2019 Ford Fusion For Sale at Phil Long Ford of Chapel Hills | VIN: 3FA6P0VP0KR133961

My biggest issue right now is financing. I'm coming off of a long employment drought; was out of work between November '18 and January of this year. As if that wasn't bad enough, my wife was diagnosed with two forms of breast cancer last May.

Things are better now; I've got two jobs, one as a GS-9 with the Army, another as a part-time security guard at a construction site in Denver. I'm about to take on a third, as a published author, this coming summer as long as the COVID doesn't screw me over at the editing level. But my credit rating is mortally damaged after over a year of late/unpaid bills. I'm a cosigner on my wife's car; the amount of time off she's had to take for her cancer treatments caused her car to get repossessed. Fortunately, with our tax returns, we were able to reclaim it. But the financial hit is bad...really bad.

So anyway...here's the TL;DR version: Introducing myself, long-time Fusion fan, think I've found one that I like, bad financial history, what do you guys think?
William,
That is above average mileage I have a 19 with only 7K at this point. The oil pans for the 19 still can leak I have had 3 new oil pans on mine. The original pan leaked, the replacement leaked and this one has been going good.
If I was in your financial situation I would not buy a FS I would be getting a less expensive car to drive that gets much better gas mileage. I drive mine pretty easy and I only get 20mpg.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My dad putts around in his 2017 Fusion Sport, basically all sub-60 mph driving to get groceries etc... (retiree) and he averages 17 mpg. Totally bone stock. His intercooler outlet and throttle body are completely dry, that's how little boost he runs.

I can average about 22-23 mpg with more highway driving, but I can see about 27-28 mpg on pure highway driving. I set it so that it shifts into 6th gear as soon as possible, around 35-40 mph if I recall correctly.

It's disheartening to hear about pan leaks on a 2019. I wonder if the 3.0 on the MKZ/Conti have the same issue, and same question about 2020 Explorer ST.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Old Man Fusion Welcome from another CO member! I too have a 2019 and thus far no issues to report. One comment on the pricing that Phil Long Ford has listed for that car, $28,499 is too much for a used FFS, even a 2019. That's not far off what I paid for my brand new 2019 in January, $30K. I would try to get that price below 28K or even down to around 27K.

Vidmo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts