Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Picked up my 2017 Fusion Sport yesterday and drove it home 350 miles. Figured I'd share some first opinions.

This is my third fusion. I've previously driven an '08 and '12 both the 2.5L I4 NA motors. I've always enjoyed the Fusion for being sporty, good-looking, roomy and well featured, but this car goes miles above.

Starting with the motor: I tried really hard to follow break-in procedure (500 miles of varying speed, staying out of the top of the rev range), but it's impossible. If they wanted these motors broken in correctly, Ford should have disabled Sport mode and forced the rev range low for the first 500. Most of my driving yesterday was interstate, and the Fusion handled itself quite well both in traffic and in the wide open parts of I-70. Every on-ramp became a personal challenge of finding out how good the ContiProContact tires are. All you have to do is squeeze the - paddle twice and put your foot in, and you'll find yourself facing a reckless driving charge before you can back out of it again. The car is responsive and available in D. I used it for most of the cruise home. It was easy to swoop slow traffic even outside of Sport mode. Power is still ample in 6th going from 70 to 85+.

The car really shines in Sport mode. I honestly can't find words. It throws you into your seat. It's loud, deep and mean. (I'm wondering if there's some sound reinforcement. I'm going to have someone else drive it Monday so I can be outside and listen to it from the outside.) Shifts are quick and fluid. The car will easily find 100 before you remember to get out of the throttle. When I first drove it around the block at the dealer it was hard not to giggle. It was still hard not to giggle after 5 hours of driving it. I described the power as available in D, in S the power is eager and it's ready before you are. There's little hesitation, the car just says OK and throws you into your seat.

The Lightning Blue is gorgeous. My father had a '15 in Deep Impact Blue and this color looks way better. I'm not a huge fan of the wheels, but they're growing on me. The interior looks good. The fit and finish is what you'd expect from a higher end Ford, for sure. The leather wrapped steering wheel is comfortable both at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3. I'm not a huge fan of the dual display instrument cluster. It results in too many buttons and the controls are a little confusing. I highly recommend the air conditioned seats. I know I'll never be able to go back.

Adaptive cruise control is cool. I wish it beeped or vibrated the steering wheel before it started to slow down though. Even the shortest following distance is longer than I'd usually wait before changing lanes to pass someone. This resulted in weird moments of slowing down, and the quickly gaining speed again. I'm sure my fuel economy would have been better if I'd noticed it was about to brake. Lane keeping works pretty well. There were a number of times it couldn't find lane markers, but when it did have them the adaptive steering kicks in nicely to keep you in your lane with small steering input.

Sync 3 with Android Auto worked well. I used Android Auto the whole way home with my Nexus 6P with no issues. The interface was fast and responsive. Though with navigation and streaming music, my phone did not charge at all.

The only thing I can really complain about is start up. There's no key, no manual gear shift, no manual parking brake. You get in, put your foot on the brake, push the start button, turn the dial, take your foot off the brake and go. It's slightly disorienting. Everytime I get in I have to sit for a moment convincing myself there's nothing left for me to do. I can just go. It's weird, but I'm sure it'll pass.

My first tank of gas, which you shouldn't measure fuel economy from, was BP 93 Octane. I got 26.8 MPG on all interstate driving.

Here's my speclist:
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Lightning Blue
401A: Dual LCD Instrument Cluster, 10-way driver and passenger seat, Ambient Lighting, Dual-zone Climate, Reverse Sensing, Sony 12 Speaker Audio, Sync 3
Driver Assist: Auto High Beams, Blind Spot Monitoring, Heated Steering Wheel, Lane Keeping, Rain-Sensing Wipers, 110V Outlet, Sync Connect
Adaptive Cruise Control & Pre-Collison
Cooled Front Seats
Voice Navigation

Reactions: Airflow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for posting!
Have you noted RPM in 6th gear at cruising speeds - 60 - 75 MPH
on the highway?
Thanks,
- Ray
Still waiting for local dealers to receive 1 .....

·
Registered
186 Posts
I appreciate your taking the time to put together this great write-up when you could be out looking for a twisty road to check out the suspension. Your car is exactly like mine except for the color (I went with Platinum White, partly to hide the chrome) -- and the fact that mine is still on a rail car about 20 miles from here awaiting the last leg of its journey.

There have been a lot of questions about the sound, and many will be encouraged by your description. It sounds like they let a lot more engine growl into the cabin. The Sport has active sound cancellation (like being inside giant noise-cancelling headphones), and it is turned off (or way down?) in Sport mode. Way better than the setups that play fake noise through the audio system.

It will be interesting to play with the settings for functions like lane keeping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting!
Have you noted RPM in 6th gear at cruising speeds - 60 - 75 MPH
on the highway? ...
I didn't notice. I'll check during my drive to work tomorrow and get back to you.

I appreciate your taking the time to put together this great write-up when you could be out looking for a twisty road to check out the suspension. Your car is exactly like mine except for the color (I went with Platinum White, partly to hide the chrome) -- and the fact that mine is still on a rail car about 20 miles from here awaiting the last leg of its journey.

There have been a lot of questions about the sound, and many will be encouraged by your description. It sounds like they let a lot more engine growl into the cabin. The Sport has active sound cancellation (like being inside giant noise-cancelling headphones), and it is turned off (or way down?) in Sport mode. Way better than the setups that play fake noise through the audio system.

It will be interesting to play with the settings for functions like lane keeping.
I think the Blue looks pretty good with the chrome, plus I'm a big supporter of keeping color on our roads.

The car does stay quiet in the normal mode when cruising, but will perk up under power. I'm worried that it is playing fake noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really appreciate the write up... Question about the suspension: does it have a "sport mode" too or does the "S" button control that too?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The car does stay quiet in the normal mode when cruising, but will perk up under power. I'm worried that it is playing fake noise.
I've seen several published references to the use of Active Noise Cancellation (it's been used to quiet down Fusion hybrids since the 2013 redesign) in the Sport, and that it is disengaged in Sport mode. Hopefully that's the case. Quiet out on the highway is a good thing (to me).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you for your write up and details. I just put a down payment on an Oxford white with everything but summer tires, floor mats and rear inflatable seat belts.

No idea on ETA.

Look forward to whatever more you care to share.

Enjoy your wheels!

·
Registered
624 Posts
" I'm worried that it is playing fake noise." - yellingdog.

So I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting!
Have you noted RPM in 6th gear at cruising speeds - 60 - 75 MPH on the highway?
I did some driving this evening for no real reason. 65-70 hovers right around 2k.

One thing to note on the various other comments about the sound. The Sport has thicker glass like the other higher end Fusions for noise dampening.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really appreciate the write up... Question about the suspension: does it have a "sport mode" too or does the "S" button control that too?
I have not seen separate controls for the suspension. Sport mode does seem to firm up the suspension.
I believe the steering can be configured to be in either Normal or Sport regardless of the "S" button.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You understand the the relationship between RPM and speed is just math, right?

Assuming the details available are correct (transmission ratio, tire specs, final gear ratio) 60 MPH in 6th should be ~2425 RPM and 75 should be ~3035 RPM.

So, looks like the Sport runs a little bit lower RPMs for than the 2.0L EB does, for the same speed. But not much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I believe the steering can be configured to be in either Normal or Sport regardless of the "S" button.
According to page 100 of the owner's manual, the steering can be set to Normal or Sport settings Independently for the Drive and Sport modes in the Driver Assist menus.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Assuming the details available are correct (transmission ratio, tire specs, final gear ratio) 60 MPH in 6th should be ~2425 RPM and 75 should be ~3035 RPM.

So, looks like the Sport runs a little bit lower RPMs for than the 2.0L EB does, for the same speed. But not much.
Yup, final drive is 3.16 for sport and 3.36 for 2.0 AWD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, final drive is 3.16 for sport and 3.36 for 2.0 AWD.
Yes, but the transmission gearing is different between the two as well, along with (potentially) tire size. Remember that the 2.0 has a 6F35 and Sport has (supposedly) a 6F55, so that factors in as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts

What numbers did you assume?

Based on 6th gear ratio of 0.75, final drive of 3.16, and tire diameter of 26.4 in, RPMs should be around 2250 at 75 mph.

·
Registered
624 Posts
According to page 100 of the owner's manual, the steering can be set to Normal or Sport settings Independently for the Drive and Sport modes in the Driver Assist menus.
I too saw this comment in the manual, however that option is not available, at least on my Sport. Not sure if it is available when optioned with the Driver Assist package.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I too saw this comment in the manual, however that option is not available, at least on my Sport. Not sure if it is available when optioned with the Driver Assist package.
I have the driver assist package and that menu option is also not available on my vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice write up! The wife stole mine all last week so I didn't get a chance to drive it much :crying:

I have the driver assist package and that menu option is also not available on my vehicle.
I was also looking for options along these lines and didn't see them on mine. When I did get a chance to drive it... I didn't notice much difference in handling and ride between normal drive and sport. It mostly seemed to be more response throttle and tried to stay in the power band while in sport mode.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts