Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Levels Performance who makes a well-reviewed bolt on intercooler for most of the other EcoBoost engines is looking for a Sport in the Orlando, FL area to use to develop an intercooler solution for the new car.

Most of the EcoBoost motors are greatly limited by the stock IC and so having a bolt-on IC upgrade would make a huge difference in tuning gains.

You can check out their website here: Levels Performance. Their contact info is on the website.

Reactions: 1153 and qwerty3089

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just emailed Level's about the intercooler upgrade. I'll keep you guys posted

Reactions: ike and 1153

·
Registered
89 Posts
What kind of reasonable gains could you see from an intercooler upgrade?
You don't really gain anything from an intercooler per se. It's more of a what will I not loose question. It will prevent heat soak and help retain the hp lost through higher heat situations.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What kind of reasonable gains could you see from an intercooler upgrade?
Probably not much without a tune. However, atleast 20 Hp/20 Trq at the wheels with a Livernois or Unleashed tune. Match that with a nice downpipe and expect to see even more gains.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
With a good efficient intercooler, one should gain 5-10% HP increase and allow for more power down the road. Im curious how close to maxing out the turbos are on the sport and if they can be pushed much more beyond a tune.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm only in Oregon...but might be cause for a road trip! Always wanted to see Flo-rida. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm only in Oregon...but might be cause for a road trip! Always wanted to see Flo-rida. :)
C'mon down, the fishing here is great 🐟

·
Banned
249 Posts
Have you seen the wait times on Levels?? Its like a 1 man show and built to order. Some of the 2.0 guys have waited 6 months.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
With a good efficient intercooler, one should gain 5-10% HP increase and allow for more power down the road. Im curious how close to maxing out the turbos are on the sport and if they can be pushed much more beyond a tune.
Garrett rates them at 200hp each, so beyond a tune and minor bold-ons, you will see seriously diminishing returns.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So 400 hp but people get well above that with just a tune.
Negative, 330's HP is the max Ive seen with a tune so even with 20% drivetrain, that's not 400HP. Not to mention 20% parasitic lose might be on the high side with dyno pulls being done in 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You can max out the 2.7 EcoBoost on the F-150 and Fusion Sport very very easily with just a tune. People have argued with me on this in the past, but the F-150 and Fusion Sport 2.7 engines are essentially the same in terms of how they perform (whether one uses Borg Warner K03 and the other uses Garrett GT154x doesn't matter from this perspective). The torque models are the same, the inferred turbo compressor maps are the same (with the exception of the compressor speed lines), speed density tables are the same, etc... the main differences are the throttle body tables, intercooler volumes, and some of the VCT tuning. The torque model tables being the same is the most critical aspect, as it essentially maps out the volumetric efficiency of the engine as a whole. E.g. At 2.20 airload and 6500 RPM, the engine is expected to produce X ft-lb of torque. If these values are tweaked significantly without actually changing the hardware that impacts VE (turbos, cams, displacement, etc) it can cause the wrench icon to turn on. So the F-150 2.7 and Fusion Sport have identical torque model tables.

The F-150 has an engine oil cooler while the Fusion Sport does not have one (It'd be right next to the oil filter). The F-150 and Fusion Sport both max out the turbos around 44 lb/min at 20-22 psi. But the Fusion Sport is at or beyond the choke line at this flow rate, and the turbine speed is 260k+ RPM (inferred) creating massive amounts of heat. The data I saw for the F-150 2.7 showed that IAT2/MCT delta over IAT at 44 lb/min was 60F-90F or so, which isn't too bad but this wasn't at the track. For the Fusion Sport, flowing 44 lb/min at 21-22 psi results in a MCT/IAT delta of +110F at the track with heatsoak. But 42 lb/min is an easy flow rate for both F-150 and Fusion Sport. Stock is 36 lb/min on the Fusion Sport.

I have yet to see any solid data on aftermarket IC's for the Fusion Sport, aside from some of the non-DMR Generic SAE/Torque/ELM327 style logs. If that MCT/IAT delta can drop to about +60F at 44 lb/min with heatsoaking at the track, it might be a worthwhile upgrade as long as there wasn't any more turbo lag , but based on the STFT data I have seen, the turbos are way beyond their efficiency when flowing 44 lb/min at 20 to 22 psi on the Fsport.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can max out the 2.7 EcoBoost on the F-150 and Fusion Sport very very easily with just a tune. People have argued with me on this in the past, but the F-150 and Fusion Sport 2.7 engines are essentially the same in terms of how they perform (whether one uses Borg Warner K03 and the other uses Garrett GT154x doesn't matter from this perspective). The torque models are the same, the inferred turbo compressor maps are the same (with the exception of the compressor speed lines), speed density tables are the same, etc... the main differences are the throttle body tables, intercooler volumes, and some of the VCT tuning. The torque model tables being the same is the most critical aspect, as it essentially maps out the volumetric efficiency of the engine as a whole. E.g. At 2.20 airload and 6500 RPM, the engine is expected to produce X ft-lb of torque. If these values are tweaked significantly without actually changing the hardware that impacts VE (turbos, cams, displacement, etc) it can cause the wrench icon to turn on. So the F-150 2.7 and Fusion Sport have identical torque model tables.

The F-150 has an engine oil cooler while the Fusion Sport does not have one (It'd be right next to the oil filter). The F-150 and Fusion Sport both max out the turbos around 44 lb/min at 20-22 psi. But the Fusion Sport is at or beyond the choke line at this flow rate, and the turbine speed is 260k+ RPM (inferred) creating massive amounts of heat. The data I saw for the F-150 2.7 showed that IAT2/MCT delta over IAT at 44 lb/min was 60F-90F or so, which isn't too bad but this wasn't at the track. For the Fusion Sport, flowing 44 lb/min at 21-22 psi results in a MCT/IAT delta of +110F at the track with heatsoak. But 42 lb/min is an easy flow rate for both F-150 and Fusion Sport. Stock is 36 lb/min on the Fusion Sport.

I have yet to see any solid data on aftermarket IC's for the Fusion Sport, aside from some of the non-DMR Generic SAE/Torque/ELM327 style logs. If that MCT/IAT delta can drop to about +60F at 44 lb/min with heatsoaking at the track, it might be a worthwhile upgrade as long as there wasn't any more turbo lag , but based on the STFT data I have seen, the turbos are way beyond their efficiency when flowing 44 lb/min at 20 to 22 psi on the Fsport.
If what you are saying is true, then the MKZ 3.0T must have slightly different turbos than the Fusion Sport - since they are able to produce 400 HP stock on that engine, and with a tune, well above that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If what you are saying is true, then the MKZ 3.0T must have slightly different turbos than the Fusion Sport - since they are able to produce 400 HP stock on that engine, and with a tune, well above that.

I'd have to look at the stock tune for the AWD MKZ 3.0T, but that engine is slightly larger displacement as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
@metroplex Ford also lists the F150's 2.7 as having "High Pressure Direct Injection" where the Fusion just has plain old Direct Injection. The Edge is also different, having "Multi-Shot Direct Injection".
@EddieEcoBoost As Metroplex said, the larger displacement does help. But yes, the Fusion Sport, Edge Sport, MKX, and Continental share the same turbos(FT4Z-6K682-F and FT4Z-6K682-G), where the MKZ & Continental use different turbos (GB8Z-6K682-A and GB8Z-6K682-B). I'm sure they're able to handle more powerful, seeing as it wouldn't be just for packaging reasons since they're similar engines.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
@metroplex Ford also lists the F150's 2.7 as having "High Pressure Direct Injection" where the Fusion just has plain old Direct Injection. The Edge is also different, having "Multi-Shot Direct Injection".
@EddieEcoBoost As Metroplex said, the larger displacement does help. But yes, the Fusion Sport, Edge Sport, MKX, and Continental share the same turbos(FT4Z-6K682-F and FT4Z-6K682-G), where the MKZ & Continental use different turbos (GB8Z-6K682-A and GB8Z-6K682-B). I'm sure they're able to handle more powerful, seeing as it wouldn't be just for packaging reasons since they're similar engines.

The Edge Sport, Fusion Sport, and F-150 2.7 factory calibrations have the same fueling parameters. I couldn't spot a difference as they are all run at the same pressure levels as they are all GTDI engines. I think the terms you mentioned may just be marketing terms. The 2017-up F-series use split-injection though, so they have port and direct injection.

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
The Edge Sport, Fusion Sport, and F-150 2.7 factory calibrations have the same fueling parameters. I couldn't spot a difference as they are all run at the same pressure levels as they are all GTDI engines. I think the terms you mentioned may just be marketing terms. The 2017-up F-series use split-injection though, so they have port and direct injection.
I'm aware of the split-injection with the 2nd generation 2.7 in the F150, that's different. When the 2.7s first came out I know there were large differences in what tuners were able to achieve on the 3 vehicles (again, very early on). It could just be a marketing thing, but that's strange that they would market 3 different terms for the same engine. Not saying you're wrong tho, more or less just pointing that out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm not sure what software the tuners were using, but HPTuners didn't have sufficient parameters unlocked for the Edge Sport and Fusion Sport. I know because I had to work with them on getting them unlocked just a month ago. The F-series had issues with boost limiting in 1st gear up until a few months ago with HPTuners, but they had almost all the major limiters already unlocked. If the tuners were using SCT, then it's a different story probably because SCT generally unlocks them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts