Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the silencer that Ford puts inside the intake tubes on their Ecoboosts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Silencer? I'd love some more info on this. Is it inside the actual intake tube?

AFAIK, my Focus ST didn't have this. My old Lincoln did (sort of), however, and sounded so much better once I modified it/removed it.

edit: this car NEEDS more induction noise.

·
Banned
249 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was being serious lol... can you confirm we don't? Some guy claims his company makes them for Ford's 3.5 and 2.7.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
those look more like air straighteners. you need those

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those look more like air straighteners. you need those
Full-Race who makes intakes and other performance parts for the 3.5 Ecoboost actually recommends you remove them when installing their CAI. I guess the proper term for them are "attenuators".

Quote from their site, "For maximum performance gains, Full-Race recommends to remove the attenuators (turbo noise reducers) inside the OEM intake tubes, when installing."

See Step # 5
http://www.full-race.com/articles/F150-Eco-Boost-cold-air-intake.pdf

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Most stock intakes have some form of a silencer, so I would be surprised if the 2.7 doesn't have them.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well I've read that unless you tune your car without them keep them in. But again I'm going by the mazdaspeed community that actually tested the honeycomb vs no straightener theory.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well I've read that unless you tune your car without them keep them in. But again I'm going by the mazdaspeed community that actually tested the honeycomb vs no straightener theory.
As I was reading through the provided links yesterday, I got the impression that they are not a hindrance unless tuned, as well.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Taken from the F150 forum:
"I work for a company that produces these blow molded turbo ducts for both the 2.7L and 3.5L TT engines. We also assemble the swirl vanes as part of the sub-assembly provided to FORD (tier 1) among other welded bellow and cuffs to them. I was the production engineer that worked directly with FORD Dearborn. The swirl vanes in question are injection molded product. The ridges are used to de-mould the product out of the tool. The newer vanes lack these because of the parting line associated with de-moulding has changed.
The vanes purpose are for NVH prevention. "Noise Vibration Harmonics". That means they will quiet the air stream by creating a air pre-swirl condition to the turbo impeller. They also provide a minor increase in spool time at lower RPM ranges during initial acceleration. In addition reduce the turbulance on the incoming air (K coefficient)."

From another thread in more layman's terms:
"-remove the swirly things. They are called "Attenuators" and serve to only make the turbo "whooshing noises" quieter."

So they increase spool time "minorly". Probably not noticeable if not tuned then? Mainly just a noise reduction deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it's been confirmed the 2.7 does have the silencers and once they are removed there is definitely an increase in turbo whistling.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well it's been confirmed the 2.7 does have the silencers and once they are removed there is definitely an increase in turbo whistling.
I figured they did since most new cars do now a days and at least you can hear the whine better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea thanks to jnhalstead's hard work and determination he was able too. He said he's working on a video to try and capture the sound.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Two questions.. How do we remove them and if we have a tune will removing them affect the tune??

·
Registered
739 Posts
Where in the intake tubes are they? Exact location.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Laptop is @ geeksquad while its under warranty so Im not posting anything anytime soon. Ill mess with my sons hero4session later. Will say...a catch can is really needed. The amount of oil residue in my front tube at the turbo was alarming at 23k

Gjb...feel free to post anything from fb messenger

1 - 20 of 29 Posts