Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

341 - 360 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
hey, useful life skills are good! ive got the skills and knowledge for almost all manufacturing processes but im restricted to a 600 sq/ft apartment, which really sucks for when custom work liek this is needed. your the guy making fiberglass housing right? have you tried making a more form fitting mold by 3d printing the interior of the case and laying the fibre glass around it? that way you can curve around components and maby get some bigger inlets in there, then after it cures you can just pull the 3d printed reverse mold out and you've got your housing. just a thought, just realised i gloated there a bit, whoops

·
Registered
261 Posts
My airbox is much bigger than the stock box like the steeda unit. I used craft foam from Home Depot it’s just foam insulation board they sell in smaller pieces. Most work done at kitchen table. Cutting and sanding done outside as will the application of the resin. Still need to test fit and modify my form. Want it to fill the space well. The life skills thing was not directed at you lol. Just trying to make sure my kids aren’t helpless. My daughter can cut in a room for paint freehand and flawless. Took some badgering but it’s all good lol.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This whole area is one big leak. They could have left the stock piece that transitions right and had a nice straight shot into the box.

Agreed... seems like this whole section needs to go left. It was a pia when I installed it, the accordion hose barely had enough stretch to make it there.

My brothers buddy said we could make a new box out of aluminum but I don’t think there will be any measurable gains for the $

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok there has been a lot of debate about the factory air box vs Steeda CAI and the gambit of opinions.
Just read the entire thread. Just want to say thank you very much for the data Oreo. Seems like all the people making incorrect assumptions in the second half of the thread obviously didn't read the first half :rolleyes:

One thing I didn't see tested was swiss cheesing the stock box so I'll probably try that and gather some data this spring before going with a Steeda CAI or building a custom intake of my own. An upgraded intercooler is always first on my list for any turbo car I own so that will be my first purchase for my new Sport.

·
Super Moderator
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
Just read the entire thread. Just want to say thank you very much for the data Oreo. Seems like all the people making incorrect assumptions in the second half of the thread obviously didn't read the first half :rolleyes:

One thing I didn't see tested was swiss cheesing the stock box so I'll probably try that and gather some data this spring before going with a Steeda CAI or building a custom intake of my own. An upgraded intercooler is always first on my list for any turbo car I own so that will be my first purchase for my new Sport.

This is as close as I got to swiss cheesing but didn't do an long term testing as I knew it was just going to breath hot air and heat soak quicker with the factory FMIC. https://www.fusionsportforums.com/f...i-under-hood-temps-iat-iat2-9.html#post173978

Under hood temp in summer can be brutal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I never did see when or why you decided to go with a larger intercooler. I thought you had determined the stock unit was sufficient until the turbos were enlarged. The Steeda units are in sale again and I'm picking up my new 19 next week and was trying to determine if it was worth the cost and hassle of getting one, but I'm still undecided.

·
Super Moderator
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Less heat soak, quicker recovery time, lower IAT2 temps, better air flow...

·
Registered
294 Posts
So I just read this entire mega thread. Looked quickly under my hood. There is a giant cavity between engine bay and driver fender. Any reason we couldn't just drawl fresh colder air in from that area? Not sure how you'd get a filter on it but an oval shaped hose into that area would provide more and cooler air for sure.

Anyone tried something like that?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was thinking something to supplement the front snorkel, not replace it. I wonder what kind of CFM you are getting through the smushed ends going into wheel well. Did you cut an opening the plastic wheel well shroud as well?

·
Registered
365 Posts
They’re each 3.5” hoses feeding the 2.25” intake tubes. And yes I cut an opening in the fender well liner to let in more air.
Intake temp is ambient once you get moving but it doesn’t take long to heat soak when sitting still.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think the trans cooler in the driver's side fender would heat the air when your not moving.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks to @Oreo for all of the work you and others did on this thread.

I recently just purchased a new 2019 and I'm planning to install the Steeda CAI, but the divets in the hood lining was something I wanted to address, and I did not like the idea of manufacturing a cover for it, so I took a different route.

I spent some time looking around the local hardware store today I think I found a relativity easy way to fill in the divets and still allow them to be accessible if you ever need to remove the hood liner. See the attached pics below for my process.

Vidmo

Attachments

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
181 Posts
So is there a definitive way to avoid heatsoak with the IAT #s? Was there a difference in results when using the seal provided by Steeda or sealing the box with a homemade cover? I don't recall seeing anything that says one way or the other?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Fender intakes have been used by GM for their GTDI cars. The positive aspect is it isolates the air stream from engine compartment heat. Negative aspects are it seems to suck in more debris and water, making it easier to hydrolock the engine driving in flooded areas. Ford has normally positioned their air intakes high above the axle lines, generally under the hood or something similar (old SBF 302s, 5.0 HO, etc...) but sometimes the snorkel is in the engine compartment corner behind the headlight (Crown Vic, S197 Mustangs, etc).

My Cobalt SS Turbo (2.0L LNF) and girlfriend's Malibu LTZ w/ LTG use the fender intakes. IAT1 is pretty much ambient. She lost her first Malibu in the great flood of August 2013 (where they stole the copper wiring from the I-696 pumps during heavy rains, causing the freeway to flood and Michigan State Police divers to be deployed to search for survivors) where the engine hydrolocked and threw a rod leaving her stranded. My old Dodge k-car used a fender intake as well, and I drove through a very flooded road causing water to be sucked into the engine. It froze overnight and had a hard time starting it, but because the engine was a POS, it didn't hydrolock or anything. Just a ton of water went into the engine/oil.

The SHO had a good setup, where the air intake snorkle is just under the hood lip. I am surprised my SHO's hood didn't rust out like my Explorer's hood, but I modified the hood seal for more direct air flow. Literally it was a straight shot of air from the front, under the hood lip, into the airbox. The Fusion Sport draws the air through the grille, above the radiator channel isolator, and into the airbox.

341 - 360 of 382 Posts