Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

321 - 340 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can log via SCT x4 or SCTx4 and livelink. Can you run a base line for comparison? Since you have the experience with this it would help for me to actually see what you are logging for me to replicate.
I have torque pro, I can test stock Airbox and filter on lms93 tune and report data. If you want to do the same for Steeda's. I really don't want to return this CAI so I am hopeful there are real numbers to justify the 300 bucks.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That won't work. You need to run both intakes on the same car with the same logging and tune ideally as close together as possible to see the difference if any. Weather has a huge impact on the results.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are running a LMS mail tune you should stay away from the Steeda anyway. Now if you are being tuned in person with either a "street" tune or a "dyno" tune that's a different story.

LMS themselves only suggests using a "High Flow" panel filter on there mail tunes. That is what they used when tuning there donor car.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Well, EcoBoost is speed density, the air box/filter has no impact on your tune nor do you need to tune for a different filter/box. You can run without an airbox entirely and it wouldn't matter as it would be compensated. The ECU takes in your torque request via the gas pedal and figures out how much boost to run to try and meet this demanded torque. I believe the only Fords to still use a MAF sensor are the Mustang GTs with the 5.0, even the N/A 3.5 V6 Explorers are speed density now. The VE tables are there to reflect the stock engine and turbochargers.

I wanted to clarify on why you can't have 2 people with 2 different cars run datalogging using one as a baseline. You want to use the same vehicle and same tune/boost levels to show any delta from the Steeda or aftermarket intake. Otherwise, I could show you a baseline run with a stock Fusion Sport flowing 34 lb/min, and then do a run with a 19 psi tune showing it flow 44 lb/min with the same paper filter. Now if you ran a 19 psi tune with the paper filter flowing 44 lb/min and then ran the same tune/vehicle using a Steeda under the same conditions (as close as possible). the air flow result would be more useful.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you're running the stock turbos, you are limited by the turbochargers.
If you are running a LMS mail tune you should stay away from the Steeda anyway. Now if you are being tuned in person with either a "street" tune or a "dyno" tune that's a different story.

LMS themselves only suggests using a "High Flow" panel filter on there mail tunes. That is what they used when tuning there donor car.

"Mail" tune assuming you mean since it wasn't custom made for MY car? I personally drove there and they got my strategy code and then they loaded the tune themselves. LMS said to expect 5-10HP with an aftermarket CAI. But since now the argument is currently that the stock airbox/filter isn't the bottleneck, I don't know what to believe.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
"Mail" tune assuming you mean since it wasn't custom made for MY car? I personally drove there and they got my strategy code and then they loaded the tune themselves. LMS said to expect 5-10HP with an aftermarket CAI. But since now the argument is currently that the stock airbox/filter isn't the bottleneck, I don't know what to believe.
LMS probably quoted 5-10 hp based on their dyno runs in a controlled shop environment with the hood propped open.

·
Registered
739 Posts
LMS probably quoted 5-10 hp based on their dyno runs in a controlled shop environment with the hood propped open.

Wait, why would that matter? I thought you said the stock airbox and filter pulled the same amount of air as aftermarket why would opening the hood matter?..... ahhhhh I am confused now.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Wait, why would that matter? I thought you said the stock airbox and filter pulled the same amount of air as aftermarket why would opening the hood matter?..... ahhhhh I am confused now.

I said the stock turbos are the restriction. When you prop the hood open and have the conical system feeding on cooler air blown from a fan inside a shop (and not through the top of the radiator in that tiny slit), the cooler air might have a benefit on power. But at the track, it's a different story due to heatsoaking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dang I just have to thank Oreo for all of this information and time invested. I just sat here over an hour reading this thread lol. Good stuff.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Piles of data here. If I have a down moment this weekend, I'll sit down with a third or fourth pot of coffee and really read this whole thread.
Now, with my current standard caveat that I have not actually even TOUCHED or SEEN my car, much less been under the hood of ANY FS, has anyone looked into replacing the full intake plumbing? FoMoCo LOVES to use basic molded plastic for the intake track. On my old MS3, there were numerous indentations and things like that in the tubing to make it fit under the hood with all the various bulges and protrusions. The plumbing from intake to turbo, turbo to TMIC, TMIC to BPV, BPV to MAF/TB, MAF/TB to the plenum was actually quite minimal. The MS CAI actually lengthened the run, as it moved the actual intake from the front part of the engine box to the wheel well, but it ran almost all the way to the turbo and widened the actual plumbing. All the rest of the plumbing could be replaced with very short sections of large diameter silicon pipes. You gave up a little at the bottom end for near instantanous throttle response and truckloads of boost at anything over 2K RPM.
Historical reminising aside, we apparently have LOTS of pipe under the hood, and I suspect FoMoCo remained true to form and most of it is cheap, heat retaining plastic with numerous pinch points and constrictions to allow it to fit with all the rest of the various bits. Has anyone here taken a detailed look at it all? If anyone has a lot of pictures they are willing to send me, or a blueprint/schematic of it all, I would be willing to contact a materials guy I know and see what it would take to create uniform diameter, smooth walled, better flowing plumbing.
EDIT: Can someone specifically send me a pic of the airbox? the only one I see is on Steeda's wepage for the CAI. and if that pic is accurate, I would personally suspect the biggest bottleneck is right there in the airbox where it necks down from the actual "air enters here" hole to the airbox itself....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Checked out the air box and underneath the rad cover. One sticker loose in the bottom of box and the one just in front of intake scoop under cover hanging on by thread.

Even if you're not into nodding the car etc. this is an essential maintenance item for all. Just get it done.

Took me all of 5 minutes and I don't work on cars. You don't have to pull the whole cover off either.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
183 Posts
so i just stumbled on this thread, gonna revive it because im curious but dont want to read through 34 pages of stuff. TLDR; the steeda cai doesnt seal against the hood, they claim its your fault when you ask them, and the only way to fix it is it rip out your hood liner and replace it with a thicker one?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was able to adjust the threaded support post under the box enough to raise it until it did seal against the hood liner. It coincidently relieved the kink in the front accordion air duct as a plus.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not gonna see any measurable gains over a drop in. I’m making one for the cool factor and to monitor the filter. Get some practice laying fiberglass for my gauge pod that I plan to make.
ive got a buddy who works with acrylic.. might just have him cut a top piece for it. i know it wont help much for performance but it looks nicer than the stock one and i sadly dont have the time or space to make my own :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not gonna see any measurable gains over a drop in. I’m making one for the cool factor and to monitor the filter. Get some practice laying fiberglass for my gauge pod that I plan to make.
ive got a buddy who works with acrylic.. might just have him cut a top piece for it. i know it wont help much for performance but it looks nicer than the stock one and i sadly dont have the time or space to make my own [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/FushionSportForum-2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/img]
Time I understand seeing I’m replacing all the flooring in my house at the same time lol. Including two bathroom remodels. As far a space I rebuilt a 2.3 ford 4 cylinder in an apartment. Ground floor thank god lol. Once I’m done I will write up something for the forums. If I had more time I would have been done a long time ago.

321 - 340 of 382 Posts