Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Fusion Sport yesterday and start having some doubts.
Average mileage display numbers that are abnormaly low.
I did two trips:
1) It was nigh time without traffic when I came back from the dealer: MPG=10 for a 7.5 miles drive.
I did not slept well last night.

2)Today from LA I went to Malibu and came back.
I reset the MPG counter on the freeway.
Mix of Freeway and slow traffic: MPG=13 for a 70 miles trip.

The lowest official MPG for this car is City: 17 MPG.

Does somebody get abnormal low MPG display on the dashboard?
Is it a real value?

I doubt that this car is able to burn so much gasoline when I am driving cautiously.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Are you running 87 or 93 octane? I think the average for a stock Fusion should be around 22MPG combined city and highway, at least thats what I got.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Are you looking at instant or trip. It makes a difference. In any case most dash MPG's reading are off.

Instant is what the computer thinks it is doing at that moment.

Trip:
The first instance not enough distance to accurately gauge anything. The second if you reset your trip to 0 before starting should have given you a decent calculation. It really depends on how much slow/idle traffic you had.

With that being said my mileage was all over the board when I first got the Sport. After a couple tanks she leveled out. Some of it I attribute to new engine and most to my right foot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought a Fusion Sport yesterday and start having some doubts.
Average mileage display numbers that are abnormaly low.
I did two trips:
1) It was nigh time without traffic when I came back from the dealer: MPG=10 for a 7.5 miles drive.
I did not slept well last night.

2)Today from LA I went to Malibu and came back.
I reset the MPG counter on the freeway.
Mix of Freeway and slow traffic: MPG=13 for a 70 miles trip.

The lowest official MPG for this car is City: 17 MPG.

Does somebody get abnormal low MPG display on the dashboard?
Is it a real value

I doubt that this car is able to burn so much gasoline when I am driving cautiously.
Don't worry fella. Mine was terrible for the first 750-1000 miles. I wanna say I ver age 16ish. After 1000, it gets better. I'm currently at a lifetime of 18.4 with 7400 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It sounds like you might be going to the "fuel economy" part of the menu. Which gives you an instant as well as an average until you reset it.

You can also view MPG in the Trip section.

I always use Fuelly app to keep track of it at the pump. Overall, the car system has seemed to mostly be showing about 1mpg better than I'm actually getting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I typically hand calculate my MPG, I have a 80% Highway 64 mile round trip commute to work. I set the cruise at 75 and average 27 MPG (display is 1-2 mpg lower)

My trip 1 display says my average since the car was new is 21.9, but this includes all my hot roding and numerous times at the track. Car has @6700 miles on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got the car the tank was already full.
I need to empty it before making any hand/phoneapp calculation.

Instant mileage indication (bar graph) seems ok (above 30MPG on freeway in the traffic at constant speed ).
Only the average calculation is far off, even after a reset.
Airwelldone gives me some hope.

I need a few weeks to refill the tank several time.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I haven't noticed a fluctuation in the dash calculation, but I drive 95% highway.
Ford says wait till 3000 miles before calculating mileage, and they were dead on.
Right after 3000 my mileage picked way up.
I'm right around 27mpg's, calculated, after my last fill up the dash was reading 28.4 till I got below 1/2 tank, after
that I was driving more aggressive and it dropped to high 26's.

·
Registered
293 Posts
When I got the car the tank was already full.
I need to empty it before making any hand/phoneapp calculation.

Instant mileage indication (bar graph) seems ok (above 30MPG on freeway in the traffic at constant speed ).
Only the average calculation is far off, even after a reset.
Airwelldone gives me some hope.

I need a few weeks to refill the tank several time.
The average may be skewed cause it idled forever at the dealer. Then the people thay work there probably drive like dummys, so bad mpg.... if your active one is lookong ok... id say your fine, i havnt tried reseting the trip one... od assume its possible?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
740 Posts
Mine ,on the trip, has always run a couple higher than when I calculate with the fill up method. I fill up, zero the trip 1, drive, fill up again to see how much was burned, then divide the miles driven.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Mine ,on the trip, has always run a couple higher than when I calculate with the fill up method. I fill up, zero the trip 1, drive, fill up again to see how much was burned, then divide the miles driven.
Get the Fuelly app, it will do that all for you, you just have to plug in the info at every fill up.

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always reset my trip counter when filling up to get the MPG for just that tank. Otherwise, the MPG calculation will include the previous history.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't worry fella. Mine was terrible for the first 750-1000 miles. I wanna say I ver age 16ish. After 1000, it gets better. I'm currently at a lifetime of 18.4 with 7400 miles on the clock.
I agree with Airwelldone. She's a gas hog at the beginning. The consumption calculation is accurate to real world math on my car. Dont pay much attention to the real time as it runs on a rolling average (I have the 401A)

The mileage started matching the sticker around 2500 miles. Mixed is around 23 for me. Hwy around 28.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Sport has about 12K miles on it. Using 87 octane, I get ~20-22 mpg (mixed hwy+local) when measured using the trip counter.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Get the Fuelly app, it will do that all for you, you just have to plug in the info at every fill up.
It's ok. I prefer to keep my math skills in use. lol

Reactions: Wildcat Birdie

·
Registered
63 Posts
This car is about 27-30 highway and 18-24 city. The 18 city is when I'm gunning it everywhere and the 24 city is when I accelerate mildly. On the highway 27 is about 80mph where as 30 is about 65mph. I normally do about 75-77mph when I'm on the highway and it's right around 29mpg on average. I have never reset my trip 2 on board mpg and I'm at about 23mpg overall in 10k miles.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I do about 95% city and I have never come close to even 17 during normal driving, my average is about 14.6...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine has about 4500 miles, and the mileage seems to be going up a bit. My last fill up calculated to 22.4 mpg. It must have been a little more highway driving than usual.

Worst ever when it was new and I was really "enjoying it" was 18.5. I could live with that considering the fun factor...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Fusion Sport has now a little more than 500 miles. Gazoline is 87 Octane.
Results are better but not exceptional.
After several resets the trip calculation and average indication are around 20 mpg.
Fuelly gives me 19 mpg at the second refill.
My trip is 50% city / 50% freeway.

These days traffic is bad in LA.
I was expecting a better result (22 mpg) that may come later with an higher mileage.
Your testimonies give me some hope.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts