Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've had my eye on the 2017+ Fusion Sport now for a year or so, as I am trying to replace my aging Audi a4 that has had several maintenance nightmares over my years of ownership.

My main concern is how will the maintenance be if I am owning this car long term.
I will obviously try and follow the maintenance schedule on the Ford website as closely as possible. The real question I have is basically how much the maintenance costs will be. From doing some quick searching around on here, I've seen people say that the transmission should be serviced every 30k or 50k miles?

Obviously, with this car having two turbos, it's not going to be as reliable as a 2.0 Fusion, but I'd like to know before buying one that it isn't going to be extreme on my wallet all the time.

I know these cars aren't that old yet, so we may not really know the long term reliability of the drivetrains, but any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the family! I have a 2017 Fusion Sport, now going on 36k miles. I have never driven an A4, so I cannot compare the two. I have had no excessive maintenance cost. Normal, motor oil changes. previous owner replaced tires @ 28k miles. I have had the PTU Oil changed @ 30K miles. Some people have had issues with oil leaks from the oil pan and the PTU, but as for me no leaks, so far.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Welcome! So far the 2.7 has been a solid engine in all vehicles it's offered in (aside from the ones early on that had the bad-from-factory cylinder heads - search the forums for that thread). Just because it's a twin-turbo doesn't necessarily mean it's less reliable. (Look at the 1.6! lol).

So yes, it's recommended to drain and fill the trans, PTU (transfer case), and rear diff every 30-50k miles. While that's not required, it's very strongly recommended if you plan to keep your car after 100k miles. Other than that, maintenance costs are low, especially compared to an A4 (plus, no "service position" needed here! 😁).

Other parts of the car have actually been around for a little while - the 6F55 transmission has been around since 2007, the CCD system and parts have been around since at least 2013 on the MKZ, etc. Plus (again other than those bad batch of heads) the engine has been in the trucks since 2015, as well as the Edge and a several Lincolns.

Like all cars they do have their, uh, quirks. It's not a huge issue, but some have had leaky oil pans - some a bit leaky from factory early on, many after dealers repeatedly not sealing the oil pans properly. But at this time, no known serious failures across the range of cars with the 2.7 engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! So far the 2.7 has been a solid engine in all vehicles it's offered in (aside from the ones early on that had the bad-from-factory cylinder heads - search the forums for that thread). Just because it's a twin-turbo doesn't necessarily mean it's less reliable. (Look at the 1.6! lol).

So yes, it's recommended to drain and fill the trans, PTU (transfer case), and rear diff every 30-50k miles. While that's not required, it's very strongly recommended if you plan to keep your car after 100k miles. Other than that, maintenance costs are low, especially compared to an A4 (plus, no "service position" needed here! 😁).

Other parts of the car have actually been around for a little while - the 6F55 transmission has been around since 2007, the CCD system and parts have been around since at least 2013 on the MKZ, etc. Plus (again other than those bad batch of heads) the engine has been in the trucks since 2015, as well as the Edge and a several Lincolns.

Like all cars they do have their, uh, quirks. It's not a huge issue, but some have had leaky oil pans - some a bit leaky from factory early on, many after dealers repeatedly not sealing the oil pans properly. But at this time, no known serious failures across the range of cars with the 2.7 engine.
Hi there,
Thanks for the quick reply.

For the trans, PTU, and rear diff, how much did that cost you typically (if you've had that service done yet)? I'm sure it's dependent on the area and who's doing it, but I'm just curious. A few hundred dollars??

Also, is there a specific date range of manufacture that I should avoid? I was looking more at 17s (as they're the only ones in my area really).

Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've done my own work so far, and cost maybe $80 for the trans fluid (but enough for 2 or 3 drain/fills), and $40 for enough Amsoil gear/diff fluid (also enough for at least 2 changes each). I've seen some posts about dealers charge around $200 including fluids (and I've also one or two people post that their closest dealers refuse the work and say it's lifetime fluid - most just do it tho). There's a few threads on these topics if you look around / search for them and want more info.

As for the years with engine issues, here is the TSB for it, affects built before Jan 1 2017. I'd even give like 2 months after that as a buffer just to be safe. Either way, a cheap Ford-backed warranty wouldn't hurt, just something that covers the engine and maybe even trans. Can find them cheap through Ford dealers online (like Floor Ford). I have an early build as I ordered mine, I had my heads replaced about 15k miles ago and have been perfect since (but I also wasn't affected bad, saw the smoke one time and took a video).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts