Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed two car seats in my Sport.
The car seats have been in there since the day I got the car, but my kids have been using the 5 point harness. Both kids are now over 40lbs and it is not recommended to use the 5 point harness with them beyond that, so I took out the seats, took out the 5 point harness system, and put the seats back. Everything is tethered in the car, so it was a case of "nothing much has changed".

But it has changed. Now the kids are harnessed with the rear seat belts running over/through their booster seats. As you can see in the photos, I have the air bag seat belts and the latch at the seat is basically rigid in place and the seat belt buckle is almost the size of my children, but not as flexible. I was able to latch the driver side buckle without a kid in the seat, but I have not yet been able to latch the passenger side because the middle belt latch is right next to it (and a different size, naturally). The seat belt latch is actually BEHIND the car booster seat.

So my question for all of you - have you encountered this problem, and if so, how were you able to resolve it?

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you are using the rear seat belts you don't need the latch system, it doesn't provide any more protection to use both. Some car seats will even state in the manual not to use both. That should allow you to move the seat over enough to fasten the seat belt properly.

Also, check your car seat manual. Even though the car manual says the inflatable seat belts should be compatible with most car seats, I remember my car seat manual saying NOT to use with inflatable seat belts.

Lastly, you can always make things less bulky by not having a high back car seat. High backs haven't been shown to provide any more frontal protection than a simple (cheap) no back booster. Side protection is debatable and varies by model, but I doubt it makes much difference there either.

Reactions: Aseller

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, the design of the seat belt latch is not very good for car seats. One of my first posts on this forum back in July was on this issue. My problem wasn't that it couldn't be done, but that it was very difficult, and just about impossible for my 6 y/o son. And you may have a wider car seat than I.
Not sure if OP was saying the latch system was problematic, I use it to keep car/booster seat from moving around when child climbs in and out of it, or just the seat belt latch positioning(pics 3/4).
Unfortunately the seat belt latch is very short and tucked into the seat, which is a cleaner look than the older style(and more maneuverable) latch on a short belt, but not good if it's located somewhat behind the car seat. I think this is kiwiguys and my sons problem.
Now I don't have the inflatable seat belts which in kiwiguys picture(4) looks much more bulky. But our buckle has a bit of an angle on it which just adds insult to injury when trying to get it into the latch straight with it angling towards the car seat.

So long story short I may have an idea that may work.
Now I'm only referring to what I dealt with in kiwiguys third and fourth picture where you have the passenger side and middle seat latches together. I don't have a car seat on drivers side. You can't pull the latch out any from within the seat unfortunately, but if you can get it to angle towards the driver side it should help.

Try stuffing something(rag?) on the left of the passenger side latch between the latch and the seat bottom, thereby pushing and angling it towards the driver side. This should make it easier to line up and latch the buckle. Good luck. If I'm explaining this poorly let me know and I'll try to take a picture of what I mean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the exact same car seats and feel your pain. My oldest just moved to the standard seat belt and it is a pain to latch. From what I understand and have read (hopefully it's correct!) you don't need to strap the seats down once you are at that stage. So I have to turn the seat just a bit to latch and then push it back. I also extend the lap belt part all the way until it locks and then let it retract so it is a safer fit with no play.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks. I showed the pics to my wife :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe this only works for belts without airbags, correct?
I don't know, I don't have the belts with the airbags. You might want to ask your salesperson. When I had my SHO, I told my salesman how the kids couldn't buckle themselves, and he gave me those seatbelt extenders, and they just happened to work on the Fusion Sport. So, maybe there is an option for the seatbelt with airbags. Couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP, I thought they recommended not using Latch over 40 pounds but the seatbelt attaching seat to the car and using 5-point harness was ok. Where did you get this info?

Secondly, I used the latch outbound to install an infant seat and convertible seat. I used the middle seat belt to install a convertible booster and use the 5-point harness.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I believe this only works for belts without airbags, correct?
Correct. The "air charge" comes thru the fastener. If you look closely you will see the air channel.
-Lee
PS We have the inflatables on our 2015 Edge. I opted not to get them on the Sport.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Now you have to take it to the drag strip with the seats in it!
I had my daughters seat in my 2004 SRT-4 and was running high 12's, it
drew some laughs for sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm having this problem with my car. Really hard to get the booster seat to click in the latches, eventually I did but now I can't buckle the seatbelt in the fastener because the booster seat is basically covering the fastener. Really wish I didn't have the air bag seat belts in the back seat. Poor design from Ford. I guess they think FFS owners don't have kids WTF. We don't even have the option in Canada to not have these seat belts. Now looking for a narrower booster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So it's a little late to be asking, considering I've had the car for a few months now, but did you have rear-facing seats in? Did they fit? Is there still leg room up front? Do I strap them to the roof? Is a turtle without a shell naked or homeless?

·
Registered
183 Posts
ive found the roof quite effective when dealing with rowdy children XD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts