Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
Discussion Starter #21
Does it hurt when they go off? I've always wondered what that's like. I've been told they can really tear you up but I think that's more true of the older ones than more modern ones like our cars. I think our cars will evaluate a bunch of things including velocity, driver and passenger weights, how close your seat is to the dash, all kinds of stuff then set off a detonation of the appropriate power level to inflate the bags. So theoretically it shouldn't use any more force than absolutely needed. I do remember being told by an engineering lead of a prototype team that the original air bags went off with the same force as a shotgun blast, so they were pretty rough at first, and didn't have all the computer stuff ours do.
It wasn't very involved, likely cause our heads didn't interact with them. My body stayed straight the entire time. It was a slide, the moment of realizing the car won't redirect in time, bracing, then the car impacted and the air bags go off. It was rather loud, like a 9mm shot close to you. The worst thing was the smoke from them. My girlfriend was coughing an hour later, likely since she has more sensitive lungs than me.

Deeply unpleasant experience, but not too bad. I'm sure my tune would be different had the front bags fired.

Premium Member
It's okay, we all make mistakes along the way. You'll remember this and be really careful for the rest of your life I'm sure.
Ha! Interesting theory. If he's anything like me, the only thing he'll learn from it is how to handle it next time it happens. Lol.

I've been sideways, or close to it into at least 3 curbs that I can think of off the top of my head, plus I don't even know how many times I've gone off-roading inadvertently when there wasn't a curb. It hasn't stopped me yet from doing my worst Ken Block impression whenever I get the chance, and I don't expect it will. I will say this, though; I never endager the safety of others. Just property. My Mustang hasn't even developed a taste for crowds, and I plan to keep it that way.

Premium Member
It wasn't very involved, likely cause our heads didn't interact with them. My body stayed straight the entire time. It was a slide, the moment of realizing the car won't redirect in time, bracing, then the car impacted and the air bags go off. It was rather loud, like a 9mm shot close to you. The worst thing was the smoke from them. My girlfriend was coughing an hour later, likely since she has more sensitive lungs than me.

Deeply unpleasant experience, but not too bad. I'm sure my tune would be different had the front bags fired.
I had a Corolla fail to yield when he made a left turn in from of me as I was doing about 60 in my 01 Grand Cherokee. My front passenger tire met his back passenger tire and it sent his car spinning. I don't remember it being all that jarring, but that might be because my vehicle had a good 1500lbs on his. I agree that the propellant was the worst part.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #25
You could always get a Fusion with the 1.5L 4-banger or even the 2.5 without a turbo. ;)
Ah no 馃槀 knowing what I'm missing out on would be agony. FuSpo or nothing!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #26
Ha! Interesting theory. If he's anything like me, the only thing he'll learn from it is how to handle it next time it happens. Lol.

I've been sideways, or close to it into at least 3 curbs that I can think of off the top of my head, plus I don't even know how many times I've gone off-roading inadvertently when there wasn't a curb. It hasn't stopped me yet from doing my worst Ken Block impression whenever I get the chance, and I don't expect it will. I will say this, though; I never endager the safety of others. Just property. My Mustang hasn't even developed a taste for crowds, and I plan to keep it that way.
Yeah, no people involved with my stunts for sure. I don't have the heart to hurt bystander real bad.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #28
Once it's fixed find a local autocross. You'll learn more about car control in a single day for $50 than you would otherwise in a decade.
How does one go about getting involved in one?

Registered
Ouch! Glad nobody seriously hurt but that鈥檚 a major bummer. Like everyone said, could be worse, but it鈥檚 still a gut punch. Many years ago I crashed an e36 m3, not having nearly as much fun as you probably were, and it was like months of depression. Family will understand and you鈥檒l get through it so keep your head up. Best of luck

Registered
I don't know where you're located but try these:

In basic terms autocross events consist of timed runs (as opposed to wheel-to-wheel racing) in a parking lot or on an air field. The course is lined with traffic cones, so it's basically the safest kind of racing - there's nothing to hit really. Speeds are fairly low, typically below 60mph, but that's what makes it such good training for the street.

When you do go, keep a few things in mind, just off the top of my head, in no particular order:
1) these are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet so don't hesitate to ask questions and seek advice;
2) ask if there are instructors available; if not, ask some of the fastest guys if they will ride along with you and give you pointers, particularly for your first few runs;
3) although the risk and punishment on your car are minimal, make sure your car is mechanically safe (e.g. wheel bearings, brake pads, etc);
4) you need a helmet but most clubs will offer loaners - figure this out ahead of time;
5) "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" doesn't always apply but it sure does to autocross;
6) you'll see a wide variety of cars, from minivans and limos to Vipers and GTRs. Miatas will probably be the fastest. Don't feel intimidated haha

I'll post more if I think of anything, it's been a few years since I've done one.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #31
Thought you folks who participated might like an update.

So far the damages have totalled around 9k. The interior airbags really accounted for the vast majority of it. They still haven't looked at the steering, but they want to get it on a lift to assess the damage to it. The car refuses to steer now so 馃檭.

Either way, gonna be looking at new wheels, new rear cross member, new lower control arm, and new knuckle. Then our airbag friends all need replaced. They are going to see if they can salvage the headliner, if not that's another 1.2k, the seat really surprised me. One new seat back ran $800!

Anyways folks, I'll give the whole estimate here once they have it all ready. I'd love to hear more from you guys if you have any advice or wisdom for me!

Registered
What happened to the seat back @DarkArkAngel ? I don't understand that part. Unless there's an air bag packed in there somewhere? It just seemed unlikely that would be damaged. Anyhow I'm sorry to hear it's so much money, hopefully your insurance is good. My guess, if it won't steer at all, is maybe your steering rack got damaged. I would guess either that, or the clockspring but I don't think your clockspring is the problem because it didn't look like your steering-wheel airbag went off. So my guess is when you slid into the curb the impact messed up something in your steering rack maybe. Anyhow that's just a guess over the internet from a total amateur so not worth much. Let the real mechanics look and it and they'll tell you for sure. ;)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #33
What happened to the seat back @DarkArkAngel ? I don't understand that part. Unless there's an air bag packed in there somewhere? It just seemed unlikely that would be damaged. Anyhow I'm sorry to hear it's so much money, hopefully your insurance is good. My guess, if it won't steer at all, is maybe your steering rack got damaged. I would guess either that, or the clockspring but I don't think your clockspring is the problem because it didn't look like your steering-wheel airbag went off. So my guess is when you slid into the curb the impact messed up something in your steering rack maybe. Anyhow that's just a guess over the internet from a total amateur so not worth much. Let the real mechanics look and it and they'll tell you for sure. ;)
There is! For all those who didn't know, the front seat side bolsters closest to the door on each side contains an air bag. Gave my girlfriend a cool bruise. 馃槀 So that's why the top half of the seats need replacement.

The tech I got seems very knowledgeable, and she guessed that the clock spring might be the culprit too. So I guess I'll have to see when I visit the car later today.

Gonna need the rear valence replaced apparently as well. Didn't seem to damaged to me but hey.

Registered
Other than wheels/tires, the only thing I needed replaced after slamming mine into a curb was hubs/bearings. So might wanna ask if those are included with the new knuckles.

Oddly the worst/loudest hub/bearing after my accident was the front drivers side but the impact was only on the passenger side wheels.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #37
Other than wheels/tires, the only thing I needed replaced after slamming mine into a curb was hubs/bearings. So might wanna ask if those are included with the new knuckles.

Oddly the worst/loudest hub/bearing after my accident was the front drivers side but the impact was only on the passenger side wheels.
I will certainly ask. They told me that more damage will likely crop up when the car is taken after repairs to be realigned.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #38

Mainly worried about my rear diff at this point. Would hate for that to bust.

Registered
If the bag in the steering wheel went, it will need a clock spring. What happens is the bag goes off, the bag side gets hot enough that it melts the plugs that go into the bag back there. Only way to replace the plugs is to replace the whole spring, that's another 400 bucks. Most all seats these days have bags in them, all total a Fusion has eight air bags. One in the wheel, left side, one in the dash right side, knee bags both sides, curtain bags both sides, bags in both seats, and some have bags in the rear seat belts. We call them exploding seat belts, yeah they do. all that plus a side sensor in each front door two in the front, either side of the cooling, and a RCM. It's under the console between the front seats. RCM stands for Restraint Control Module. The rear exploding seat belts was a odd feature that only lasted a year or two we think, mine has it, but not all Fusions built in 2017. I think over the years I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 with them, and I've seen and built a bunch.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #40
If the bag in the steering wheel went, it will need a clock spring. What happens is the bag goes off, the bag side gets hot enough that it melts the plugs that go into the bag back there. Only way to replace the plugs is to replace the whole spring, that's another 400 bucks. Most all seats these days have bags in them, all total a Fusion has eight air bags. One in the wheel, left side, one in the dash right side, knee bags both sides, curtain bags both sides, bags in both seats, and some have bags in the rear seat belts. We call them exploding seat belts, yeah they do. all that plus a side sensor in each front door two in the front, either side of the cooling, and a RCM. It's under the console between the front seats. RCM stands for Restraint Control Module. The rear exploding seat belts was a odd feature that only lasted a year or two we think, mine has it, but not all Fusions built in 2017. I think over the years I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 with them, and I've seen and built a bunch.
I was fortunate that the front airbags didn't go off, so I am not sure if the clockspring was damaged. I don't have the rear airbag seatbelts either, but I have seen them on other modern Ford products.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts