Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to enjoy the snow day with my car today. On my last pass in the parking lot I ran into a curb 🤦‍♂️ waiting on the insurance and everything but was wondering what you guys are thinking on repair, what tips you have, etc.

This just after my grandpa's accident too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You need new rims but oh man, air bags. Air bags. :confused: I'm so sorry to see that happen to you. You'll have to talk to insurance about it but air bags is a bad sign.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need new rims but oh man, air bags. Air bags. :confused: I'm so sorry to see that happen to you. You'll have to talk to insurance about it but air bags is a bad sign.
Thanks. I have no one to blame but myself. Worst case is I'll become a lurker again for a few years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It,s done stick a fork in it. The bags are the killer, the curtain bags alone are a grand a side, then add the seat bag plus cover that's another 500 bucks. On top of al that, rims and the rear bumper damage. You might get lucky and they will fix it, but wouldn't surprise if they wash it out.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have the right coverage this will just cost you the deductible (typically $500 but it can vary). They'll fix it. Your rates will probably increase. Not much else to say. I know it sucks being in your shoes and the situation looks bad but it's really not - just a very routine insurance claim and repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It,s done stick a fork in it. The bags are the killer, the curtain bags alone are a grand a side, then add the seat bag plus cover that's another 500 bucks. On top of al that, rims and the rear bumper damage. You might get lucky and they will fix it, but wouldn't surprise if they wash it out.
It'll cost $5-7k, sure - nowhere near enough to total the car.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Decided to enjoy the snow day with my car today. On my last pass in the parking lot I ran into a curb 🤦‍♂️ waiting on the insurance and everything but was wondering what you guys are thinking on repair, what tips you have, etc.

This just after my grandpa's accident too. View attachment 27627

Thanks. View attachment 27623 View attachment 27624 View attachment 27625 View attachment 27626
It's a bummer but on the bright side - you know the airbags work. If you drive enough you have accidents. It'll be good as new after it's fixed.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a bummer but on the bright side - you know the airbags work. If you drive enough you have accidents. It'll be good as new after it's fixed.
Yeah. I am mostly ashamed. My parents were always giving me crap that I was gonna wreck my car and such, and I promised myself that I would be responsible.

Now I gotta face everyone and admit to them that I couldn't handle it. 😂

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yeah. I am mostly ashamed. My parents were always giving me crap that I was gonna wreck my car and such, and I promised myself that I would be responsible.

Now I gotta face everyone and admit to them that I couldn't handle it. 😂
It's okay, we all make mistakes along the way. You'll remember this and be really careful for the rest of your life I'm sure. It's good you learned it early, and it sounds like you might even be able to get the car repaired if you have good coverage. Just have to see. Either way, let this be a lesson you hold onto. At least it was in a parking lot, and not on the open road or something. In the big picture this is pretty minor compared to what some people deal with, so just take a breath, and move on. I hope either way that you continue to hang around, and I hope for your sake that regardless of this car that you still end up with an FFS one way or another. This one or another one. It's great having you on here! :)

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's okay, we all make mistakes along the way. You'll remember this and be really careful for the rest of your life I'm sure. It's good you learned it early, and it sounds like you might even be able to get the car repaired if you have good coverage. Just have to see. Either way, let this be a lesson you hold onto. At least it was in a parking lot, and not on the open road or something. In the big picture this is pretty minor compared to what some people deal with, so just take a breath, and move on. I hope either way that you continue to hang around, and I hope for your sake that regardless of this car that you still end up with an FFS one way or another. This one or another one. It's great having you on here! :)
Many thanks. For sure another FuSpo if this one doesn't survive. Gonna be a sec til I have saved up again if so but hey 🤷

I appreciate all the support from you guys! This community is prolly my favorite part of owning this car so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
When you have insurance it sort doesn't matter how much the repairs cost since you're not paying for them. If it does get totalled out (I doubt it will) you might have to fight them for a fair payout, since some companies will try to low-ball you, but cross that bridge if you get to it.

And yes, I've also done a lot of dumb crap behind the wheel when I was younger. Kissed plenty of curbs in high school and college. You gotta find a better parking lot to play in!

·
Registered
486 Posts
When you have insurance it sort doesn't matter how much the repairs cost since you're not paying for them. If it does get totalled out (I doubt it will) you might have to fight them for a fair payout, since some companies will try to low-ball you, but cross that bridge if you get to it.

And yes, I've also done a lot of dumb crap behind the wheel when I was younger. Kissed plenty of curbs in high school and college. You gotta find a better parking lot to play in!
My first accident was backing my car into my best friends car in a driveway. Opps!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I pulled a similar stunt about a month ago. Painful/expensive lesson... No insurance claim for me. My air bags didn’t deploy but I destroyed both passenger wheels and shoved them up into the fenders bending them up too. Surprisingly the only suspension damage was the hub bearings started making noise. I bolted up new hubs and got an alignment and it drives perfect. Still haven’t got my bodywork fixed.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled a similar stunt about a month ago. Painful/expensive lesson... No insurance claim for me. My air bags didn’t deploy but I destroyed both passenger wheels and shoved them up into the fenders bending them up too. Surprisingly the only suspension damage was the hub bearings started making noise. I bolted up new hubs and got an alignment and it drives perfect. Still haven’t got my bodywork fixed.
Yeah, I was very surprised at the airbag deployment. The impact wasn't more than 15-20mph. My only wear and tear is a small bruise on my hip.

Both me and my girlfriend were fine. The airbag discharge smoke probably did more damage to us than the accident 😂

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm feeling like I can never play again after this. 😂 Time to get my grandma pants on from now on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man. Good luck to you and your girlfriend with the situation.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yeah, I was very surprised at the airbag deployment. The impact wasn't more than 15-20mph. My only wear and tear is a small bruise on my hip.

Both me and my girlfriend were fine. The airbag discharge smoke probably did more damage to us than the accident 😂
Does it hurt when they go off? I've always wondered what that's like. I've been told they can really tear you up but I think that's more true of the older ones than more modern ones like our cars. I think our cars will evaluate a bunch of things including velocity, driver and passenger weights, how close your seat is to the dash, all kinds of stuff then set off a detonation of the appropriate power level to inflate the bags. So theoretically it shouldn't use any more force than absolutely needed. I do remember being told by an engineering lead of a prototype team that the original air bags went off with the same force as a shotgun blast, so they were pretty rough at first, and didn't have all the computer stuff ours do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Turn them upside down, and run a lead cord to the bag, then plug it in the wall. You can send them about twenty feet into the air, :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts