Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the prices seem to be coming down on the Stinger GT's, I think they may end up like the FS discontinued as not many are sold. I got on a Stinger forum and Stinger owners on the forum didn't think much about the FS. They seemed to bad mouth the FS a lot. Maybe I will have to drive one.They do seem to be a step up in many ways. I like the 3.5 motor better than the 2.7 and the interior looks nicer. The torque also comes on at only 1300 rpm's ours are 3500 rpm's. The 8 speed may be better than our 6 speed, I was a little surprised that the Stinger GT was a tad heavier than the FS. Never drove anything from Kia, the older Kia's were really bad. But Kia seems to be building better quality cars now. I think it needs a bigger gas tank.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm with you on thinking they'll probably end up much like the FFS. The market for these types of cars just doesn't seem to be there right now. I plan on hanging onto my FFS for as long as I possibly can because I can't imagine what I'd replace it with.

Although the Cadillac CT5-V is looking really nice. I could totally see myself in one of those. No Forscan but that car is in a whole other league. That's assuming GM doesn't decide to kill off all sedans like Ford has.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engineer, I do like the FS but I have had the oil pan replaced twice and it seems to be good as its been over 4000 miles but that leaky oil pan is always in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@dtd I have the same concern about the oil pan. I don't really know why they designed it that way, but it seems prone to failure. I haven't had any trouble with mine, nor am I aware from the records I do have, of any previous issues with that with my car, but like you said it's always in the back of your mind. I wish they'd just come out with a gasket. Or just redesign the whole thing. But it's probably not worth the effort since the car is canceled anyway. No point in spending money on R&D at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Local guy has one and said it is in the shop more then in his garage...

·
Registered
150 Posts
On the subject of this thread though, here's the thing. I really think the FFS is about the best all-around car for me, especially for anywhere close to the money. Take the Caddy I mentioned above, for instance. It is a great car (assuming it's reliable). But for example, it does have the tablet-on-the-dash thing going on like a lot of new cars do today, which I really dislike. I really like that our Fusions have the Sync integrated into the dash. So overall I chose my FFS because it's the best for me, and then of course the money isn't comparable either. For what we all paid we got a serious car.

So that's why I always tell people I'm holding onto my FFS as long as I possibly can. It'll probably be a really long time before I get rid of this car. Hopefully Ford will be over their anti-sedan phase by then and have another solid luxury sport out. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry the Stinger.
Oreo,
what year Stinger was it, a GT? I have been reading alot about the 2020 and everything I see is the 2020 is more dependable than the Fusion, Kia as a whole is rated pretty highly. If you recall when the FS came out it had many problems. People had to take the cars back to the dealer many times until Ford finally figured out some of the problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll just share this link: 3.3L Engine (Lambda MPI/GDI/T-GDI) Specifications And Review on MotorReviewer.com

I hope that's okay; if not, @Oreo please let me know. In any event, toward the bottom of the link they discuss some reliability problems with the engine in the Stinger GT.

It sounds like it's open-deck design, which if I remember correctly is what was associated with a lot of the cooling problems/engine failures on the EB 1.5 from Ford. Not saying it'll be a problem in this application, just something to think about.

Personally, I really like the CGI block we have. I hope Ford/Lincoln do more with that in the future, especially if they make more luxury-sport cars down the road (as opposed to trucks/SUVs, since I'm more of a car person).

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
It is a 19 GT. I also know they are having some paint issue as well but that is not limited to the Stinger.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'll just share this link: 3.3L Engine (Lambda MPI/GDI/T-GDI) Specifications And Review on MotorReviewer.com

I hope that's okay; if not, @Oreo please let me know. In any event, toward the bottom of the link they discuss some reliability problems with the engine in the Stinger GT.

It sounds like it's open-deck design, which if I remember correctly is what was associated with a lot of the cooling problems/engine failures on the EB 1.5 from Ford. Not saying it'll be a problem in this application, just something to think about.

Personally, I really like the CGI block we have. I hope Ford/Lincoln do more with that in the future, especially if they make more luxury-sport cars down the road (as opposed to trucks/SUVs, since I'm more of a car person).
The fact our engine was designed for a half ton truck, it's probably one of the stoutest engines ever put in midsize car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ah the stinger is ok just can't get past that KIA brand in my face all the time it will always have that cheap ring to itself.😏

·
Registered
150 Posts
@WhiteGhost I understand completely. True story: Years ago, starting out, we owned a brand-new Kia Sephia. It had a really annoying problem where the shifter would get stuck and it wouldn't come out of park. We took it to the dealership and they told us "yeah that's a known problem, we can't fix it but just stick a pen down this hole and wiggle it around". Sure enough, there was a little hole beside the shifter. We always kept a pen with us from then on when driving that car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In fairness though, I'm not sure how much to take from that experience. I mean, that was many years ago, and from what I've heard the Kias are built better now. But it sure made an impression on us, and we haven't owned a Kia since. We didn't own that one very long after that, either. Anyhow, like I said, they may be better now. I don't know. I'm not trying to be mean, I just think it's kind of a funny story because we couldn't even believe it when it happened.

I just know that I love my FFS, and I feel like it's got one of the most durable engines out there. Mainly because it doesn't have to work hard to put out a massive amount of torque. That and things like the CGI block, make me very comfortable that this car can move without really having to work hard to get it done. Some day, years down the road, I'll probably need to replace it, and when that day comes, if I leave the Ford/Lincoln camp it'll probably be because they're just not making anything I want to drive any more. Which is possible, with the way they're going. I'm hoping mostly for one of two things. Either 1) they have a good Lincoln midsize luxury-sport with AWD similar to the MKZ by then, or 2) that at least there's a good AWD Mustang option. And I'm honestly not sure whether either will be the case, so I may have to leave Ford/Lincoln at that point. But it won't be because I wanted to, it'll just be because they stopped making cars for me.

Anyhow, that's a really long time down the road, many years hopefully. I plan to enjoy this car for a really long time. It's part of why I haven't tuned it, although once my warranty is up I might consider that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
@Engineer Tune it...... Tune it.... its begging you to tune it.... it wants you to tune it.... just do it. You'll be amazed how much of a difference it really does make. I only have 5K on mine and took the plunge. No regrets at all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You're a bad influence @Vidmo ;) I'm actually starting to consider it though. Only thing I'm really worried about is chewing the transmission up. I know ours is the 6F55 so it's beefier than the other Fusions though. If it's just a tune it's probably fairly low risk. It would be nice to wake it up a little.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As long as you don't abuse the transmission, keep the trans, PTU, and rear diff changed every 30k miles, you will not have problems with it. Now, if you take it to the drag strip every weekend, all bets are off.

Reactions: Engineer
1 - 20 of 22 Posts