Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if I'm the only one experiencing this potential issue...

I've noticed a humming noise from what my ears tell me is the rear right of the car when cruising at varying road speeds (35, 45, 70 mph). I can't replicate it and it seems to come out of nowhere, growing from silence to a medium-loud hum (300-500Hz range), holding its volume for 1-5 seconds, then fading back to nothing. The frequency doesn't seem to change with speed. Twice I had the mind to take my foot off the gas pedal when the noise started and it ceased immediately. It happens maybe once a week or every other week when I'm driving at constant speed.

I'm concerned it's drivetrain related - like a joint or bushing that will fail over time, or one of these hums will get louder and not go away except with a sudden "BANG".

Has anyone else heard odd, soft humming like this?

-GFunk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Probably a wheel bearing or tire. But I heard of a lot of sports with half shaft issues as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
I get a soft droning noise when cruising with the engine going around 2700 RPM, and very little load on the engine (but as soon as I take my foot off the gas it goes away). I only hear it with the radio off, it's very quite, but it's a deep-ish drone that just vibrates in your head a little. I know it's the engine, but the sound just goes throughout the whole car. Is this similar sounding to what you have, or something different?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I feel like I have this going on as well. I almost would describe it as a "whirring" noise. Happens when at cruising speed and very light throttle. Then when taking my foot off the throttle it goes away. I thought it might be turbo noise or something like that. Only mod is an AFE Dry Pro filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Differential noise. Right point of harmonics and load.

Reactions: Mjolnir

·
Registered
405 Posts
I feel like I have heard this as well, but was never really able to determine if it was the car or not. I always assumed it was a car next to me or something else. The way I would describe it, it sounds like a car 2 lanes over went over the rumble strips on the shoulder, however the sound is coming from your car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe it's ring gear noise in the differential. The floating point of the teeth between on a load or off. I've always heard a very slight noise like this myself, it is so slight I really don't worry about it myself.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I believe it's ring gear noise in the differential. The floating point of the teeth between on a load or off. I've always heard a very slight noise like this myself, it is so slight I really don't worry about it myself.
Yeah, I hadn't worried about it since it still drove just fine. I just commented since I saw a post on it and was curious what it was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get a soft droning noise when cruising with the engine going around 2700 RPM, and very little load on the engine (but as soon as I take my foot off the gas it goes away). I only hear it with the radio off, it's very quite, but it's a deep-ish drone that just vibrates in your head a little. I know it's the engine, but the sound just goes throughout the whole car. Is this similar sounding to what you have, or something different?
I get the droning sound precisely when the car reaches 40 MPH. If I'm less than 40MPH or more, it doesn't do it. But if I am holding at 40, the drone gets VERY annoying quickly. Sort of like a "chinese water torture". And unfortunately, the highways around me are all rated at 40MPH and the police love to hide in spots or have their radars out. So if I want to travel as fast as I can, it's 40 with the drone... or I go 35, but then people in the rearview are giving me the eye.

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
I get the droning sound precisely when the car reaches 40 MPH. If I'm less than 40MPH or more, it doesn't do it. But if I am holding at 40, the drone gets VERY annoying quickly. Sort of like a "chinese water torture". And unfortunately, the highways around me are all rated at 40MPH and the police love to hide in spots or have their radars out. So if I want to travel as fast as I can, it's 40 with the drone... or I go 35, but then people in the rearview are giving me the eye.
Yeah I think that's around the speed I notice it, too. I know what you mean, I can only stand hearing it so long before it drives me nuts, haha. Our roads are also 40MPH limits, and I usually drive city to make things worse.

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
I just happened to come across this. Obviously it isn't for our cars, and not even the Edge which is the same platform. But I wonder if this is similar to what's going on with us.

TSB 16-0138 2.7L – 6F50/6F55 – BUZZ, HUM OR MOAN NOISE FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AT 40 KM/H (25 MPH)
Publication Date: October 7, 2016
LINCOLN: 2016 MKX

ISSUE: Some 2016 MKX vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine and 6F50/6F55 transmission may exhibit a buzz, hum or moan noise from the engine compartment at 40 Km/h (25 MPH) and above or at engine speeds from 2000 to 3500 RPM. This may be due to the transmission fluid cooler tube.
ACTION: Follow the Service Procedure step to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE: Replace the transmission fluid cooler tube. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-02.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
G2GZ-7C410-A Transmission Fluid Cooler Tube
XT-10-QLVC Motorcraft MERCON LV Automatic Transmission Fluid

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
160138A 2016 MKX 2.7L: Replace The Transmission Fluid Cooler Tube (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.9 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage. Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7C410 42

Reactions: QuickSilver

·
Registered
481 Posts
def isnt normal sounds like gear noise or what DaMifo posted

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would also concur on it being the read diff. My flex with this system hummed when lightly loaded on the highway. This isn't a wear issue, just a symptom of the gear set ratio and lightly loaded drive train. You should hear what 410's sounded like in the old 8.8 diffs, they really whined.

I haven't really noticed it on my FS, however it is winter and our roads have crappy surface finishes leading to lots of tire noise, which will mask this somewhat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just so it's in this thread - I've noticed this around 1800 RPM, and think it is the air intake. It's more noticeable under acceleration or changes in RPM around 1500-1800 rpm. I'll put it in sport mode and shift out of that gear to get rid of the sound. Too bad there isn't a fix for this, though.

I guess it's probably worth taking it into the dealer to see what they say.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My intake noise I get is more like a sticker stuck in the snorkel. Like playing cards in your bike spokes.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
My intake noise I get is more like a sticker stuck in the snorkel. Like playing cards in your bike spokes.
Have you looked? It actually could be...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having this same problem and the hum has become a heck of a lot louder and more often! It started around the 1500 mile mark and I'm at 2500 and it's just becoming more and more of an every day thing! I'm on the verge of calling the dealer and asking them to look at it but I don't want to lose my car while they investigate a problem that might not have a solution yet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not being mechanically inclined I made an appointment at the dealership, last night the sound drove me crazy on the way home so I popped the hood. The only thing I found out of place was that my windshield wiper fluid reservoir cover was loose and flapping around (maybe creating a whistle from air moving around the engine). After replacing it and making sure it was clipped tight, I drove around for a few minutes and... no more hum!!! Taking her out tonight for a longer cruise on some of Maine's best back roads. I will keep you updated!!! Noises always come back when you think they are gone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts