Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion sport 2.7L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm currently saving up and planning to upgrade to bigger turbos because who doesn't want more power. So bigger turbos means better fueling I think we can all agree on that but I have been struggling. Is our only option really the Extreme-DI 60% and 35% because spending 2500$ Or 1500$ On a fuel pump isn't my preferred thing to do. I've also read that others say 35% is useless so only way to make more power is the 60% which is 1000$ more.

Soo my question is would a in tank fuel pump be able to help with some of the fueling to avoid the costly HPFP or is there any other ecoboost HPFP that could fit in our 2.7s with some tuning of course to make it work. I curious if possibly a fuel pump made for 3.5 or may the 2.3 platform for the RS. Maybe a long shot I just know my turbos are going to cost a arm and a leg so saving money where I can would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
IF your plan is to run the MKZ turbos then the HPFP is not needed you can run up to E40 fuel with the stock system , if your gonna go big then IMO the evo is more then enough fuel pump as the injectors are the issue not the fuel pressure .

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I haven't done the math but the low pressure pumps generally aren't the big limiting factor. It's the HPFP and is only an issue if you plan to run E30 or higher E85 content with bigger turbos. Injectors as well. The downside to running XDI is you must get the tune done by a XDI dealer. They are generally well respected but I hate having someone else do the tuning for a variety of reasons I won't get into.

But on the stock 2.7 setup we have, I've run E50 with a full tune without running out of fueling capacity. Based on some of the math I've done, I could theoretically run up to full E85 with a full tune as our turbos aren't flowing a super large amount of air mass when maxed out. I've done E50+ without any problems. Depending on how I feel this summer, I may experiment with more E85 now that I have the MPVI2 Pro with standalone datalogging. I hated schlepping my 13 lb laptop, MPVI1 Pro with 300 miles of cables/harnesses, etc all the time outside of dedicated tuning sessions.

On the SHO/ExSport's Gen 1 transverse 3.5L EcoBoost, a full tune nets you 48-53 #/min of air mass and going above E30 is an issue as I have verified it. Theoretically there's no significant statistical advantage to going above E47 on GTDI.

BTW our 2.7 stock HPFP should go up to 2900 psi, not 2200 psi as it shows in the stock tune. The VE table for the stock HPFP only goes to 2200 psi in the rows but if you look it is still in the 90% range once the table is cut-off. I remember reading on Bosch's site that our Fusion Sport pumps were a newer generation rated up to 2900 psi. The Gen 1 transverse 3.5L EcoBoost used an older pump and was rated for 2200 psi.

The 3.0 in the Explorer ST has a pump rated for 3600 psi, but it physically won't be a drop-in replacement. I just looked at videos of the Explorer ST XDI swap and the angle of the low-pressure port and high-pressure ports aren't close to being the same. However, I'm sure someone with enough time can make their own high pressure line with flared nuts to mate with the Explorer ST Pump, and maybe make their own low pressure line/connector as well. As-is, the Explorer ST HPFP doesn't look like a drop-in replacement at all. The reason I bring up the Explorer ST HPFP is that you can grab the pump settings off an Explorer ST base tune and should be able to copy it over to your tune. XDI is keeping their HPFP settings within their XDI dealership. The ExST pump is $350+ so it is a lot more economical for those seeking a bigger HPFP.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Any info on the 2.3 focus RS or even the ranger far as pressures go ?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The Focus RS and Raptor are similar, 2900 psi. The Ranger goes up to 3600 psi. I know the Ranger's single turbo flows quite a bit of airmass at the limit, impressive actually at over 40#/min.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts