Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've only been to the track twice. My avg 60ft time is 1.9 sec. I understand from looking at other's times that my time sucks. I'm sure it is my driving and not the car that is the issue.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Hey I also want to mention on here that I updated my Beta HP Tuners VCM Suite to build 1000-something-or-other the other day and the PIDs show a lot better info, descriptions are more clear, there's just a lot more there. I was on 400-something before that I think. So if you haven't updated in a bit, maybe think about it, they've got some nice improvements.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
The more I read about all this, too, the more convinced I am that our engines can make big power. None of this is stuff you you guys don't already probably know, but in looking at the torque model tables it looks like they go up to at least 600 or so. I think the 406 limiter is a literal copy of the lb ft translation from the NM rating of the tranny. So you guys are right when you say there's a lot of power left on the table. It's mostly down to what you think the drivetrain can handle without shredding, but I have no doubt the engine can put it out. Anyway like I said you guys already know this because you've been doing this way longer than me but I'm getting more confident in how this works so I'm feeling better about being able to make changes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oh hell, my torque demand tables go up to 590 lbs. LOL.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Oh hell, my torque demand tables go up to 590 lbs. LOL.
Yeah I thought about you when I was looking at those. Man your car must be insane to drive. ;)

Hey what are the recent changes to the tranny you've made? I know you said you've been playing with that since you showed me your tune. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
But that doesn’t mean you will get 600 ftlb of torque. The torque tables are there to model the power train. But you are constrained by the limits of the turbochargers and other aspects that are in the speed density calculations the ECM performs. When EcoBoost tuning first became popular everyone was trying to figure out how to keep the throttle blade open. The Tuning School had a convoluted way of adjusting the WGDC table and throttle body to force this. That’s now how it should work. Some started tweaking the torque tables to trick the PCM. I played with this and saw 27 psi boost on my SHO during early experimentation.

Bottom line is you are going to be limited by the stock turbos which are modeled in the base tune.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah I thought about you when I was looking at those. Man your car must be insane to drive. ;)

Hey what are the recent changes to the tranny you've made? I know you said you've been playing with that since you showed me your tune. Just curious.
Mainly just changing boost pressure a lb at a time, and keeping looking for the sweet spot with shifts. Think I've got dialed in pretty good. Car runs good, I monitor engine torque and will see 500+ with 21 22 lbs of boost which is plenty.

·
Registered
618 Posts
But that doesn’t mean you will get 600 ftlb of torque. The torque tables are there to model the power train. But you are constrained by the limits of the turbochargers and other aspects that are in the speed density calculations the ECM performs. When EcoBoost tuning first became popular everyone was trying to figure out how to keep the throttle blade open. The Tuning School had a convoluted way of adjusting the WGDC table and throttle body to force this. That’s now how it should work. Some started tweaking the torque tables to trick the PCM. I played with this and saw 27 psi boost on my SHO during early experimentation.

Bottom line is you are going to be limited by the stock turbos which are modeled in the base tune.
I,ve made a few changes to the waste gate tables, along with all the limiters being raised. Goes a long way to making more power, and I know I push the chargers to the limit.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
618 Posts
VE is fine stock, only thing I do is lower the max torque tables five percent on some maps, but most I don't do anything with it. You really don't need to do anything with it, you go messing with to much and it will run like garbage if at all.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Oh I know, I played with those on the SHO during the initial experimentation to try and get the throttle to stay open (wrong way of doing it). One time I went WOT and let off, and heard a loud blow off sound. Checked my logs and saw 27 psi of boost at the TIP sensor (relative! Not absolute!).

·
Registered
618 Posts
LOL, have a I/C boot on a 7.3 blow off at 30 PSI. Sounds like a 12 gage shot gun going off under the hood, :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
BTW I think I finally actually understand how our FFSes are getting 380 on the torque rating, even though driver demand says 350.

It's in the WOT engine torque tables, down in there you'll see around 4200 RPM I think, 382 or so for the WOT demand torque. So even though the driver demand at that RPM should be 350, at WOT you're ignoring driver demand so you'll get the 382 (unless something else steps in and limits it). Several of you probably already know that, but since we were talking about it I figured I'd mention it, if only to say I finally understand that piece now.

It also explains what people mean when they laugh about the Driver Demand tables because in reality if you're really pushing the car, odds are you're not looking at Driver Demand anyway.

So much to learn with these things but I'm slowly picking it up. :cool:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Hey guys, looking for opinions on how much torque you reserve for OP only vs Driver Demand. As we lift limiters out of the way, I've noticed the stock table keeps about 30 for OP only. Do you keep with that pattern or just make the two more equal? I imagine having some reserved would give you that rush of power at WOT, but otherwise you'd already have that power before OP mode. So it's probably a subjective feel thing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I always hit the Driver demand table when I'm writing something, but the limiters are where a lot can be gained by raising them.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
I always hit the Driver demand table when I'm writing something, but the limiters are where a lot can be gained by raising them.
Yeah I definitely think you're right. I'm just wondering about whether to "save a little" for the OP tables or just let it all hang out in DD. I may just have to try it both ways and see which feels better.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Go about 450 tops in driver demand, what I do is start at 0 peddle and 600 rpm's high light the whole table then raise them 10 to 30 %.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Go about 450 tops in driver demand, what I do is start at 0 peddle and 600 rpm's high light the whole table then raise them 10 to 30 %.
Okay so yeah if you do that, then do the same (or more) in your OP tables you'd be maintaining that "kick in the pants" feel at WOT (along with just making more power generally). I'm not where I can see it right now but I'll go take a look once I am.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just keep your max boost under 20 lbs.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts