Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I didn't realize you had a catch can. That's something that was always in the back of my mind when running a catch can is that it introduces new points of failure in the PCV system.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well it wasn't really all that loose, plus it has a rubber O ring on it for sealing, I would say I got a 1/4 to half a turn at the most, after I noticed that, I figured that was the cause. I took it out , and beat the snot out of it, stayed out. Oh, and off in left field. I found a 3.0 eco over in Indiana for 2200 with 30,000 on it. Really tempted, LOL

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well it wasn't really all that loose, plus it has a rubber O ring on it for sealing, I would say I got a 1/4 to half a turn at the most, after I noticed that, I figured that was the cause. I took it out , and beat the snot out of it, stayed out. Oh, and off in left field. I found a 3.0 eco over in Indiana for 2200 with 30,000 on it. Really tempted, LOL
Well $2200 would be a steal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well $2200 would be a steal.
Yeah, considering I was seeing them listed for 26 n up a couple months ago

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Which version? Gen1 with DI only, or Gen2 with port injection as well? I haven't heard of anybody putting the latter into an FFS yet.

·
Registered
618 Posts
18 Lincoln MKZ

·
Registered
618 Posts
Paul n I talked about buying a killed MKZ for the motor if we could find one that people didn't go crazy on. They bought a 17 Titanium 2.0 for parts to fix a 20 and Brian needs the motor out of it for his 16 that puked, Still had to pay 4 grand for it, but we got a lot of parts.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
Hey any of you guys with HP tuners have a copy of a stock FFS calibration with the 380 lb ft torque Driver Demand setting? I don't know the calibration ID for that, sorry about that. I have the more common stock with 350 but I'd like to see the differences.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if there are any differences in fueling, airflow, or any of that. I'm just hoping to learn something from whatever slight differences there are between what should be otherwise very similar calibrations, just basically as a learning tool.

Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm out, mine goes to 350# max. wonder where this unicorn 380# file lives.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Somebody ( @metroplex maybe? ) mentioned some of the early 2017s I think came with that calibration. I suspect it's almost identical to ours but I'd love to get my hands on it to see.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I don't recall mentioning it but if I did, I just perused the files I have and the F-150s are 380-389 ft-lb driver demand at the full throttle position, same as the Edge ST. Their 2.7 turbos are almost identical in flow numbers and compressor maps. None of my Fusion files (early or mid/late 2017s/2018s) show anything over 350 ft-lb for DD. The Edge Sport is really the same as our Fusion Sport. The Edge ST compressor speed lines are slightly different (looks like they flow more at lower turbine speeds) very similar to the F-150 but it's really not statistically different. There's no real point in copying/pasting the driver demand numbers. Your first obstacle is really finding all of the torque limiters and any boost limiters, as you steadily increase driver demand. You don't want/need a whole lot of boost with the 2.7 and 3.0 turbos. Most of the time Ford puts the advertised torque values as the limiters. This is really apparent in the Gen 3.5L EcoBoost HO vs. Non-HO. The 2018 F-150 3.5 HO and non-HO turbos have the same compressor maps but different torque limiters. I know the turbine wheel materials are different as are the compression ratios. The Raptor was designed for sustained performance driving (racing in the Baja desert) whereas the XLT/Lariat are driven like cars on the street going from Home Depot to the grocery store.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I don't recall mentioning it but if I did, I just perused the files I have and the F-150s are 380-389 ft-lb driver demand at the full throttle position, same as the Edge ST. Their 2.7 turbos are almost identical in flow numbers and compressor maps. None of my Fusion files (early or mid/late 2017s/2018s) show anything over 350 ft-lb for DD. The Edge Sport is really the same as our Fusion Sport. The Edge ST compressor speed lines are slightly different (looks like they flow more at lower turbine speeds) very similar to the F-150 but it's really not statistically different. There's no real point in copying/pasting the driver demand numbers. Your first obstacle is really finding all of the torque limiters and any boost limiters, as you steadily increase driver demand. You don't want/need a whole lot of boost with the 2.7 and 3.0 turbos. Most of the time Ford puts the advertised torque values as the limiters. This is really apparent in the Gen 3.5L EcoBoost HO vs. Non-HO. The 2018 F-150 3.5 HO and non-HO turbos have the same compressor maps but different torque limiters. I know the turbine wheel materials are different as are the compression ratios. The Raptor was designed for sustained performance driving (racing in the Baja desert) whereas the XLT/Lariat are driven like cars on the street going from Home Depot to the grocery store.
Interestingly (well, interesting to me anyway), the Edge Sport stock file I have shows 350, not 380. So that is at least consistent with my stock FFS file. Anyway it seems like the Edge Sport/ST must have the same situation as the FFS, in that some come with a 350 calibration and some with a 380, for some strange reason. Realistically it probably isn't noticeable to an average casual driver, and anyone who really wants to max out performance is going to tune anyway, but I'm still curious about it because I think there might be something to learn from it. It just seems odd to me.

This all seems consistent, though, with the literature on the FFS. I remember seeing documents from the beginning of when the FFS was introduced, that said 350, then it was revised to 380.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Edge ST and F150 have the same engine at least for Gen F150. Those do not have it at 350 but rather 380 or 389 like I said above. Edge Sport is identical to the FSport.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I,ve looked at 2.7 F 150 stock tunes before, seen a lot of things that are different, but I also think some of it has to do with the ten speed too.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
618 Posts
I,ll get a look later flash is still in the car, LOL. One thing Paul and I noticed with the 2.7 was the early builds ran good, but at some point they changed the tuning, and they ran better out of the hole. this was with the same gears and cab set up. most all the trucks we built were crews, built a few supers, but not many. Wasn't any point when you end up paying almost the same thing for both at auction, and yeah I know, makes no sense.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
When they first came out, a lot of 15-16 F-150 2.7 owners were complaining of boost limiters while launching in 1st gear. HPTuners claimed it did not affect the Fusion Sport, but I had a boost limit for the longest time launching (less than 1 psi).

Whatever was updated recently, I am now able to get up to 11 psi of brake boost launching during some tests. Probably not a good idea for the axles, haha. That was the only way I got some wheel spin off the line with minor axle hop. So for those that have enough axle hop to warrant aftermarket RMM's and other mods, I highly recommend you go back to your datalogs and see exactly what RPM you are launching at and how much boost you are running. I can tell you 100% for a fact when launching 0.5-4 psi, I'll get maybe maybe a chirp off the line. Above 4 psi, and the tires are getting roasted and its not helping much with the launch. I don't plan to do that again and my factory tires are down to about 3/32" at 18k miles if that gives you an idea of how little traction I have. I am not sure how folks are getting enough axle hop with better tires unless they are launching with gobs and gobs of torque/"boost".

·
Registered
602 Posts
Launching @ 2600 rpm, I have been getting 7.25 lbs of boost at launch.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Launching @ 2600 rpm, I have been getting 7.25 lbs of boost at launch.
What's your best 60' time so far?
I suspect there is a point of diminishing returns with our vehicles. I found at 11 psi of boost during launch, it wasn't any faster than say 4 psi of boost during launch.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts