Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
That might be the problem, I had a high end HDMI cable for one of my monitors go bad for no reason last year.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Success!

I finally got that trim panel opened. I identified the fuse for the circuit I needed as 14/15 and replaced it (that was a serious pain.... They stuck the actual fuse panel way up underneath, back in a spot that's hard to reach and you can either reach in your hand, or see, but not both at the same time).

Anyhow HP Tuners is working great now! Read my whole PCM to a stock file and saved it. Now I'm just looking around seeing what's there. Gonna step really carefully until I'm sure I won't break anything.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
In poking around, I noticed "speed limiter by ambient air temperature", which I think @metroplex and a few others have mentioned before. I always assumed that was a thermal dynamics limitation on our hardware. So I tried looking for some info.

Then I found this: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/812324-speed-limiter-ea-082016.pdf

So now I'm thinking those limitations in this case might not be about our vehicle's capabilities at all. I leave it to everyone to make their own decision, of course.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Success!

I finally got that trim panel opened. I identified the fuse for the circuit I needed as 14/15 and replaced it (that was a serious pain.... They stuck the actual fuse panel way up underneath, back in a spot that's hard to reach and you can either reach in your hand, or see, but not both at the same time).

Anyhow HP Tuners is working great now! Read my whole PCM to a stock file and saved it. Now I'm just looking around seeing what's there. Gonna step really carefully until I'm sure I won't break anything.
Sounds like a great adventure! Keep us posted.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's just one of many limiters, you can set all the speed limiters to 186 mph, not that you will ever hit it, LOL. Save your stock map in a few different places, I have mine on a couple different hard drives and a flash drive. You always want it for when you need to chase a tuning issue later on with something you wrote that didn't work so well. Also there are two ways to save a map, at the top of the window at the far left, you'll see file. Click on it, you see save as. So you load the stock tune, make a bunch of changes, and now you want to save it. Going this route, you'll be asked to name it, you can name it anything you like. I do three letter then a three digit number followed by a A or B, but sometime it gets complicated and I,ll add another three digit number. Example KRT-001-A, then say I make some changes to it I can do two things, make it KRT-001-B or just save the changes over the KRT-001-A file. Issue is, if you make a change and its not good, you can't go back to what you had. If you do a save as and make the file KRT-002-A you still have the original file to go back too, no big deal if the file was a dud. Other thing you can do is go back and copy n past the stock numbers in the cells you changed, gets you back to where you were, but takes longer. I have two 32 inch monitors here in front of me, I load the stock tune, drag it to the screen on the left, then load the editor program again to the main screen, I then load the file I was working on to to, I now can compare numbers on my working file to the stock file, give me an idea of how far I changed something. You can do all this on one screen, just have it loaded twice at half screen sizes, but it makes things small. or just jump back n forth between the two at full screen, really up to you. Key thing is, get a system going for storage, ive got hundreds of files for mine stored that I can go back to for info on what worked and what didn't, but I,ve also deleted a lot of the major fails too, and yes you will have some. You wont kill your engine, if something is really out of wack, you'll just have ti go into limp mode. Cure is go back to a known good file and you'll be back up n running. I,ve had some that went limp mode on me backing out of the drive way. I nurse it back up the drive and re flash, fixed. I,ll write a few tunes all at once try one and go down through the list gaining or loosing. Data logging is big help. keep an eye on your knock events, watch your boost. Keep it around 20 lbs, but I can tell you I've had some that produced 27 lbs, not ideal. Tends to put a hurt on head gaskets, but damn doe sit go like a rapped ape, LOL. So there ya go, my long winded reply. Guys, like Metro and myself are always happy to answer questions.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It's just one of many limiters, you can set all the speed limiters to 186 mph, not that you will ever hit it, LOL. Save your stock map in a few different places, I have mine on a couple different hard drives and a flash drive. You always want it for when you need to chase a tuning issue later on with something you wrote that didn't work so well. Also there are two ways to save a map, at the top of the window at the far left, you'll see file. Click on it, you see save as. So you load the stock tune, make a bunch of changes, and now you want to save it. Going this route, you'll be asked to name it, you can name it anything you like. I do three letter then a three digit number followed by a A or B, but sometime it gets complicated and I,ll add another three digit number. Example KRT-001-A, then say I make some changes to it I can do two things, make it KRT-001-B or just save the changes over the KRT-001-A file. Issue is, if you make a change and its not good, you can't go back to what you had. If you do a save as and make the file KRT-002-A you still have the original file to go back too, no big deal if the file was a dud. Other thing you can do is go back and copy n past the stock numbers in the cells you changed, gets you back to where you were, but takes longer. I have two 32 inch monitors here in front of me, I load the stock tune, drag it to the screen on the left, then load the editor program again to the main screen, I then load the file I was working on to to, I now can compare numbers on my working file to the stock file, give me an idea of how far I changed something. You can do all this on one screen, just have it loaded twice at half screen sizes, but it makes things small. or just jump back n forth between the two at full screen, really up to you. Key thing is, get a system going for storage, ive got hundreds of files for mine stored that I can go back to for info on what worked and what didn't, but I,ve also deleted a lot of the major fails too, and yes you will have some. You wont kill your engine, if something is really out of wack, you'll just have ti go into limp mode. Cure is go back to a known good file and you'll be back up n running. I,ve had some that went limp mode on me backing out of the drive way. I nurse it back up the drive and re flash, fixed. I,ll write a few tunes all at once try one and go down through the list gaining or loosing. Data logging is big help. keep an eye on your knock events, watch your boost. Keep it around 20 lbs, but I can tell you I've had some that produced 27 lbs, not ideal. Tends to put a hurt on head gaskets, but damn doe sit go like a rapped ape, LOL. So there ya go, my long winded reply. Guys, like Metro and myself are always happy to answer questions.
Thank you @Skipe ! You and @metroplex and a few others are like machines to me, I'm just floored by how much you guys know. And your willingness to share. You're an inspiration. :cool:

I'll definitely work on a system to organize this stuff because I can totally see it getting out of hand if I start playing a lot.

I can't even imagine 27 PSI of boost, that's pretty insane :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And no I don't expect my car to ever go near 186 for lots of good reasons, but I did note that the ambient air temp limiter does hold us back to as low as 112 of even 105 on a really hot day. I was just raising the thought because I'm not convinced that's a real platform thermal limitation; I suspect it's more about emissions than any issue with our hardware.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts