Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think all the Fusion Sports are NGXHOP5, I can't say what my suffix is, have to go look I guess, LOL.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My dad's 2017 had a strategy that was still H but a newer version. When it was flashed with the 2019 JC update, the strategy became NGXJxxx and HPTuners is missing a bunch of parameters for this.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So tonight I went out and tried again, Verified the fuse was good (I get 12V power at my lighter jack, and that's on the same fuse, plus my other OBDII adapters are working, as before).

Still the same "vehicle power not detected" error. So we'll see what they say I guess.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Does your laptop recognize the MPVI2 with the VCM Editor software?
It sees the MPVI2 at least enough to pull the VCM Suite info log:

1/8/2021 3:39:33 PM
VCM Suite Product: VCM Editor 4.8.7

Operating System: Windows 10 (build 19041)
Microsoft .NET: 4.0.30319.42000, 4.7.1 or later
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3540M CPU @ 3.00GHz
Available Memory: 13,643 MB

Device ID: (deleted)
Credits Purchased: 2
Credits Used: 0
Credits Available: 2
Licensed Features:

ConnectionMethod: USB
ID: (deleted)
HardwareVersion: 1.4.0
ManufactureDate: 4/3/2020 12:24:10 PM
PartNumber: 6230
FirmwareVersion: 3.0.30
PoweredOnTime: 00:00:09
VehicleConnectedTime: 00:00:00
VehicleDiagnosticConnector: 1

Protocol Info: ISO 15765-2, J1962: CAN, 500 kb/s

ECM: 7E8, CAN, PCM -PowertrainCtrl - TC-1797, Ford
VIN: (deleted) - 2018 Ford Fusion Sport, 2.7 L, V6
Serial: (deleted)
Calibration IDs: NGXH0P5.H32
Calibration VNs: (hex number was here, I deleted it until I figure out what it means and if it's safe to post)
Basic PIDs: 44
Trouble Codes:
Controller Type ID By OS: 12011
Diagnostic Requirements: Init CAN 0x10 0x03
Scanning Methods: ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Functional, ISO 15031-5 Mode 0x01 Physical, ISO 14229-1 Mode 0x22, ISO 14229-1 Mode 0x23, Ford ISO 14229-1 Mode 0x2C 0x2A, CAN Listener

See anything that might give us a clue what's going on? It looks like it's talking to the car, or it wouldn't get even this far.

Thanks for any help you can give!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I assume you sent the VcMsuite log file and debug.dat to HPtuners? Yes it does look like it is communicating with the car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I assume you sent the VcMsuite log file and debug.dat to HPtuners? Yes it does look like it is communicating with the car.
Yeah I sure did, and they (stupidly) insist that my OBDII port isn't powered and that the problem is my car. I think they just don't have a clue. But hopefully they can at least figure out how to give me an RMA so I can replace the bad unit.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
So you bought it from them? Is there any chance it needs a firmware update? Can you try it on another Ford? You don’t need a license or credits to pull stock reads. HPT reads almost all Fords except the smaller ones like the 1.5/1.6/2.0. Maybe they added support later on but I wasn’t tracking.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So you bought it from them? Is there any chance it needs a firmware update? Can you try it on another Ford? You don’t need a license or credits to pull stock reads. HPT reads almost all Fords except the smaller ones like the 1.5/1.6/2.0. Maybe they added support later on but I wasn’t tracking.
That a very good suggestion, but the only other Ford I have access to is my wife's, and she has the 1.5EB in hers. I did verify the other day on the HP Tuners site that they don't appear to have support for the 1.5. I might try it just for kicks (knowing it couldn't actually pull back any real config), but I haven't done that because I know her car isn't supported.

I did buy the tuner from HP Tuners directly, off their website, so that's probably a good thing if I can get them to realize there really does appear to be a problem with their device.

When I first install VCM Suite it pulled a firmware update for my device, and flashed it. Maybe I should see if there's a way to manually flash it again even though it's up-to-date, just in case something went bad there. That might be a good idea if there's a way to do that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Does VCM Scanner work? Can you pull any data while the engine is off or on?
I tried VCM Scanner earlier tonight and there were no results, it showed all the gauges and so forth but there were no readings pulled from anything, and it threw the "Vehicle power not detected" error, the same way the VCM Editor does. So I imagine it's using the same interface and failing for the same reason, as far as I can tell.

I did send HPTuners a message asking if there's a way I can force a flash of the MPVI2 (since it currently is updated to the latest, so I'm not sure how to force a re-flash). I thought that was a really good suggestion you made about the flash.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Did you buy your car brand new or was it pre-owned? Any chance the previous owner had a tune? Something else I found was to delete the vcmsuite.cfg and start over with the application key or something to that effect. But a few threads jndicated some tunes lock the PCm so it appears it isn't getting power.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Did you buy your car brand new or was it pre-owned? Any chance the previous owner had a tune? Something else I found was to delete the vcmsuite.cfg and start over with the application key or something to that effect. But a few threads jndicated some tunes lock the PCm so it appears it isn't getting power.
I wonder if it was tuned. I did buy it used. If that's the problem I'd have to seek out someone with whatever tool is used to unlock the PCM, or just give up on it, I guess. But the "vehicle power not detected" is the error people get in that case?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That is what I found doing a quick Google search. You don't have any friends or relatives with a Ford you can try it on?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That is what I found doing a quick Google search. You don't have any friends or relatives with a Ford you can try it on?
So I checked on the HP Tuners site for more info about this, and it looks like if the PCM is locked we should expect a 4000, 6000 or 1CD974 error: Troubleshooting

Based on that, I'm more inclined to think it's a bad unit, or maybe just a unit that needs a forced re-flash (if I can find a way to do that). I'm trying to be optimistic here, perhaps naively. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
If they're good with doing a replacement of the MPVI2, go that route and see what happens. Night still need to do a reflash on the PCM, but your also gonna loose your credits if they replace the interface Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If be okay with losing the credits (although that's annoying too; if I did that to a customer at any job I've ever worked at I'd catch heat for it, and rightfully so). But I don't care, I'm actually cool with it since it's only $100. Whatever, I just want to get this working. And I do still think HP Tuners is the best solution for me, assuming I can get it working.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Quick update: They got back to me and did acknowledge that my vehicle is clearly in the right mode, based on the VCM Suite log data and the debug dat file data. I also took a picture of the dash, just in case anyone over there wants to argue about the mode the car is in again, and also a picture of the error screen, so we'll see what happens. It sounds like they're at least now agreeing the car is turned on but not running, which is correct.
HP-Tuners-Dash.jpg
HP-Tuners-Error.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just curious, could the OBDII plug/cord you are using have bent or missing pin, thus not making an complete connection to the port?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just curious, could the OBDII plug/cord you are using have bent or missing pin, thus not making an complete connection to the port?
That's a good point @maydk65 . I had already checked the OBDII connector but I should probably grab another USB-C cable and plug that into the MPVI2 and give that a shot. I've seen a lot of USB cables go bad, and even when they're brand new like this one is, they are sometimes bad. I'll give that a shot. I do think, though, that if the cable isn't it, there's a high chance the MPVI2 adapter itself is bad. I'm still waiting on HP Tuners to get back to me. It sounds like they may have involved some of their more experienced techs on it, but we'll see.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts