Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The credits and device are associated with your account, not your computer. I've used several different laptops to tune the same cars. Just make sure you keep your stock reads in a safe spot. MPVI2 does require an internet connection though from what I can tell. I'm not sure what it is doing. I've had to tune my cars at the race track in the middle of nowhere before but I had SCT or MPVI1 which neither required an internet connection. Wouldn't be hard to do a wifi hotspot on a phone though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The credits and device are associated with your account, not your computer. I've used several different laptops to tune the same cars. Just make sure you keep your stock reads in a safe spot. MPVI2 does require an internet connection though from what I can tell. I'm not sure what it is doing. I've had to tune my cars at the race track in the middle of nowhere before but I had SCT or MPVI1 which neither required an internet connection. Wouldn't be hard to do a wifi hotspot on a phone though.
I don't like the idea of it needing internet during the time you're tuning the car, but like you said, as long as you can set up a hotspot on your phone it's at least tolerable.

Of course my concern there would be something happening to the company eventually, and the device becoming unusable because it couldn't reach their computers. Which would be pretty uncool.

If I were you I'd hang onto that MPVI1 you have. But I'm still glad I went for it. It sounds like a good system, despite all that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is there a Tuning Guide for the FFS and Ecoboost 2.7? That would come in really handy learning this stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Credits are stored on the MPVI, you can put the programs on as many computers as you want. I have it on my desk top and Laptop both. I write mostly on the desk top, but if I,m out doing some testing and need to tweak something I can with the laptop easy enough once I find a good spot to park.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't like the idea of it needing internet during the time you're tuning the car, but like you said, as long as you can set up a hotspot on your phone it's at least tolerable.

Of course my concern there would be something happening to the company eventually, and the device becoming unusable because it couldn't reach their computers. Which would be pretty uncool.

If I were you I'd hang onto that MPVI1 you have. But I'm still glad I went for it. It sounds like a good system, despite all that.
I think that's only when you sync it, once its all set up, you can write n flash without the net. I do it all the time on mine, have a few spots where I can stop n fix things, re flash then be back on my way.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Everything i try to open a newer strategy it asks for the mpvi2. With mpvi1 I don't need it attached to my computer to work on tunes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Odd, I only have it plugged in for data logging or flashing. I keep all my maps and other related stuff on a flash drive, then just swap it back n forth from the two computers I use it on. I have a back up file on the desk top that I,ll copy new files to every week or so so I have second copy, then I keep my stock map on a flash drive by it's self on top of have a few copies of it on the main flash.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The Fusion is an older strategy. If you try opening a 2019-up Edge ST or Ranger or Explorer ST, it will require the MPVI2 to be plugged in. I don't recall if anything changes once you associate an MPVI2 with the software on the computer. I thought it had to be connected to open even an older strategy file but since its not happening to you then it probably was only for the newer strategies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pretty much all 19 up are like that now, I now with the snap On scanner I need a wifi connection to get permission just to open up the system and scan it. Especially anything Chrysler, they have you go through a bunch of security to get in.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Pretty much all 19 up are like that now, I now with the snap On scanner I need a wifi connection to get permission just to open up the system and scan it. Especially anything Chrysler, they have you go through a bunch of security to get in.
I wonder if that's all part of the same stuff I read about a while back, where Ford seemed to be (as many manufacturers are, I think) locking down their calibrations more. I can understand why. It's a lot of liability for them if people go in and mess things up then try to collect a warranty.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I was able to read the 2019 F-150s, Mustangs, etc without MPVI2. It's my understanding only the new Ford strategies require the MPVI2 (Ranger, Edge ST, 2020 Explorer, etc...)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wonder if that's all part of the same stuff I read about a while back, where Ford seemed to be (as many manufacturers are, I think) locking down their calibrations more. I can understand why. It's a lot of liability for them if people go in and mess things up then try to collect a warranty.
Yeah, the warranty issue is the biggest problem, but they also worked that out with their system and how it knows if a car was tuned, even if said tune was pulled and the car was put back to stock. It really got bad with the diesel's, the 6.0 started it with all the head gasket issues, but back then they had no way to know if something was tuned or not. I think it wasn't till the 6.7 came out in 2011 that they could keep tabs on it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well it came, and I have to say so far I'm NOT impressed. VCM suite just keeps saying "vehicle power not detected". I followed the instructions that came with it, synced it, updated the firmware, all that jazz. But it keeps saying there's no vehicle power. Of course there is. I have the car in Run mode (engine off but in Run). HPT hasn't been able to come up with anything beyond "make sure the car is on but the engine not running", which I've already confirmed and stated in my original trouble ticket to them.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Get anywhere with it ?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Get anywhere with it ?
Not yet, my wife and I were out running errands all day pretty much. I'm thinking my next step is probably pulling the interior fuse panel cover open and looking up whichever fuse controls the OBDII connector (I hear the 12V on that is fed by the lighter sockets fuse, presumably the same fuse that powers the 120V outlet, whichever fuse that is). Anyhow, I'm not sure that's going to get me anywhere, because:

1. It's clearly communicating with the vehicle, because it is able to pull the VIN, PCM operating system version, strategy code, etc.
2. Other OBDII adapters I have, such as my OBDLink MX+ adapter I use with FORScan, work fine in my OBDII port.

I'm almost starting to wonder if the car was previously tuned with a Livernois tuner by the original owner, and the PCM is locked or something like that. But I'm just not sure, and don't know what behavior I would expect if that's the case. If it is, all I could do is take it back to Ford and try to get them to reflash my PCM to unlock it, but of course I'd have to explain why I need that done........which well, could be a difficult conversation, since the car runs just fine.

Anyway I'm not realy sure that's it either. I just don't think I have enough information yet. So I'm back to planning to open it up, identify the fuse, and check it with my multimeter to see if I have continuity.

It's a little disappointing that HPT doesn't seem to have a good handle on any advice to give me though. When I told them my 18 FFS was in Run mode (engine off, but in run) they insisted I needed to hold down the power button instead of pressing it quickly. The manual says to press it quickly to get run mode (full accessory mode). I humored them by holding it down but it didn't help, as I expected it wouldn't. I just think they don't have any idea how to deal with this.

Thanks for asking how it's going, though! Any advice you have would be most awesome, if you have any. I'm all ears. :cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Call around to any good body shops. We've had a IDS pretty much since you could buy the system, with all the Fords we built, it was a must have in order to program RCM's and anything else Ford wise.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Call around to any good body shops. We've had a IDS pretty much since you could buy the system, with all the Fords we built, it was a must have in order to program RCM's and anything else Ford wise.
That's actually a really good idea. There are two or three body shops around the metro area that I trust. If I don't get anywhere soon I'll definitely take that advice. I didn't even think of that, but it's a seriously good idea.

I'm thinking I'm going to yank the USB Serial driver and reinstall the drivers again on my laptop, as well. Maybe the Suite as well, after that. Just for kicks. Might do that tonight since we're just sitting around watching TV.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You may want to get a re-flash anyway. If you are going to start tuning, you need a good base point to start from and go back to if you ever need to back up and start over.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Just a word of advice. The latest calibration is a 2019 part number with -JC suffix. There are a large number of parameters not defined by HPTuners for this strategy. I sent in a request but it may take weeks, months, or never. Most of us are running the 2017 calibration with a Hxx suffix. I think I saw someone's 2018 with the same calibration as my 2017.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just a word of advice. The latest calibration is a 2019 part number with -JC suffix. There are a large number of parameters not defined by HPTuners for this strategy. I sent in a request but it may take weeks, months, or never. Most of us are running the 2017 calibration with a Hxx suffix. I think I saw someone's 2018 with the same calibration as my 2017.
My calibration is NGXH0P5.H32 so it sounds like I'm on the same one most of us have. I do think it's strange that my MPVI2 is acting like it can't communicate, but I was able to pull my calibration, OS, all that stuff so it's obviously talking to the PCM. It's just weird.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts