Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuning noob here, but got curious and setup myself up with HP Tuners after reading Engineer's thread from earlier this year. Just taking it slow for now, doing research and datalogging -- still on the stock strategy. In my logs, I'm noticing occasional knock retard during hard pulls, as well as sometimes at light tip-in at highway speeds. I've seen this both at 87 and 91 octane. Is this normal? Am I monitoring the right knock parameters? How do you know when you're pushing it too hard?

2017 Sport, about 30k miles. Completely stock. You can get rid of the .txt extension to view the .csv log.

Light Product Blue Font Electronic engineering

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I monitor the same pids and the knock seems a little high , try a different gas station and see if it changes

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hi @Positron , welcome to the forum and to the tuning world. Great choice getting HP Tuners!

If it helps put you at ease, it's normal to get a little bit of knock. Our engines are designed to adjust the Octane Adjust Ratio and, to do that, they need to sense where the knock starts. So you'll see a little bit, but then it should adjust and pretty much eliminate it. If you refill your tank, it'll need to readjust more, but it's always monitoring and adjusting. It reacts very quickly to knock events for safety reasons.

There are two fuel trims as well, Long Term and Short Term. Those are exactly what they sound like, and they help to reign things in timing-wise to keep it safe.

But to answer your question, yes it's normal to see a little bit. If you never saw any knock at all, your engine would probably be underperforming because it wouldn't be pushing the timing out enough, most likely.

·
Registered
904 Posts
He's still at 6.5 degrees of advance, so really not that bad for that pull looking at the data.

Reactions: Engineer
1 - 4 of 4 Posts