Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery died after 4 years. Went to Costco and the only size in their book was H7, which looked huge. Bought it anyway and it fits perfectly on the tray and works, but I can't find a way to secure it to the tray. The old clamp only works for the smaller battery. It is wedged in there pretty good under the dash and behind the intake, but I'd like to clamp it in somehow. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a repost, I searched and couldn't find anything quickly.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The Costco/Interstate guide was wrong. If you used a 2018 Fusion Sport it should show Group 90 / T5, same with telling it you have a Lincoln MKZ. But I'd be curious if someone else has figured out a way to secure the H7.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are 2 screw holes in the front on either side of the far lateral part of the tray. I can't find any place for attaching hooks. I tried using a universal battery hold down, turning the posts upside down and threading them in to the screw holes. Then I cut off the hooks that are now at the top and placed the cross bar over the posts and across the front of the battery. It doesn't seem to make much difference though. The long posts have just as much toggle as when I had nothing there.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Would be cool to see pic of that battery in there. Looks like bottom of tray has alternate mounts for at least a longer battery. Being on 4 years, I expect I'm going to need something soon.
Odd how long I can get out of batteries on cars with limited use and trickle chargers (IE, I put the 15 year old batteries from my 05 diesel in one of my old broncos that I plow with and needs dual batts, they are still going strong). Yet my DDer's only get 4-5 years max (mostly heat cycles I'd guess).

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Would be cool to see pic of that battery in there. Looks like bottom of tray has alternate mounts for at least a longer battery. Being on 4 years, I expect I'm going to need something soon.
Odd how long I can get out of batteries on cars with limited use and trickle chargers (IE, I put the 15 year old batteries from my 05 diesel in one of my old broncos that I plow with and needs dual batts, they are still going strong). Yet my DDer's only get 4-5 years max (mostly heat cycles I'd guess).
Longest I had an OE battery survive with the use of a Battery Tender was 12 years - the factory Group 90/T5 in my 2009 Cobalt SS (date code 2008). It finally exploded in my trunk last October. I am not sure if it was from the Pulsetech charger's desulfating capability that shed too much material off the plates, but it was a mess.

Ford's parts catalog shows that the Fusion Sport uses a unique battery tray from the 4-banger Fusion/MKZ. The 2.7/3.0 uses this tray and the parts catalog shows the 48/H6 as option. It's longer than the Group 90/T5 and a tad taller. I never tried the 48/H6 but it is 13 lb heavier than the 90/T5. The Corvette and Viper were both supposed to use 90/T5 and I see the Corvette has switched to the 48/H6 which is an AGM, while the Viper kept the 90/T5.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Longest I had an OE battery survive with the use of a Battery Tender was 12 years - the factory Group 90/T5 in my 2009 Cobalt SS (date code 2008). It finally exploded in my trunk last October. I am not sure if it was from the Pulsetech charger's desulfating capability that shed too much material off the plates, but it was a mess.

Ford's parts catalog shows that the Fusion Sport uses a unique battery tray from the 4-banger Fusion/MKZ. The 2.7/3.0 uses this tray and the parts catalog shows the 48/H6 as option. It's longer than the Group 90/T5 and a tad taller. I never tried the 48/H6 but it is 13 lb heavier than the 90/T5. The Corvette and Viper were both supposed to use 90/T5 and I see the Corvette has switched to the 48/H6 which is an AGM, while the Viper kept the 90/T5.
Thanks for the info. 13 lbs is too much for me, for a bigger batt I don't really need. Wasn't even thinking weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts