Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
73 Posts
Hey those of you who've done this, did you run into any problems getting the speed limit signs displayed on your IPC? Or if you have an MKZ (or a swapped cluster that's displaying them), where should I be looking for that? I still see them on my radio, they're just not appearing on my MKZ cluster like they did my old 401A cluster. I'm sure it's just a setting but any info anyone has would help.

Actually I looked at this some more and I think what's happening is the newer firmwares removed this feature. I may try using ForScan to downgrade the IPC firmware to 2018 to see if that solves it.
Keep us posted how that works. I haven't looked into the IPC upgrade yet, but it is on my list and I wanted to definitely keep all of my 401A features in the new IPC.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
254 Posts
Hey those of you who've done this, did you run into any problems getting the speed limit signs displayed on your IPC? Or if you have an MKZ (or a swapped cluster that's displaying them), where should I be looking for that? I still see them on my radio, they're just not appearing on my MKZ cluster like they did my old 401A cluster. I'm sure it's just a setting but any info anyone has would help.

Actually I looked at this some more and I think what's happening is the newer firmwares removed this feature. I may try using ForScan to downgrade the IPC firmware to 2018 to see if that solves it.
From what I understand, speed limit signs require the updating of a few modules, like the camera module, and not just the new cluster. Also, I think the cluster software has to be older to support it which may come with it's own problems. As far as I know you cannot flash software using ForScan, and can only change DIDs. I also asked Rob about the speed signs. He has it working on his car. Reach out to him with any questions for a accurate answer.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
That's depends on how you want to go about things. TSR needs modules to be compatible, mostly like some firmware changes. But if you just want the signs from built-in maps, that should be working already.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
254 Posts
That's depends on how you want to go about things. TSR needs modules to be compatible, mostly like some firmware changes. But if you just want the signs from built-in maps, that should be working already.

Your right. I had those on my previous Fusions, but haven't seen that in my 19Sport. I don't remember 100%, but also don't think I saw it in the original cluster either.

Not sure if it related, but what version of Sync3 do you guys have? I have 3.4.xxxxxx from Ford (I didn't hack it. It still seems to get regular updates, but I am not sure on the release schedule as it seems to be random).

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm on Sync 3.0 still. My traffic signs do show up on my radio (the center console), they just don't show up on the IPC since the upgrade to the MKZ cluster. But I know the IPC is running the latest firmware. I spoke with Rob about it and he said the feature was removed starting in 19, so if that's the case that would explain why my new IPC with the latest firmware doesn't show them. I think (not sure, haven't tried it) it should be possible to downgrade the firmware on the IPC using the beta version of ForScan, but I haven't decided yet on doing that, because my thinking is:

1. I still have the traffic signs on the radio
2. The firmware was upgraded for a reason, so I'm wondering what I have with the latest firmware that I wouldn't have if I went back to the 18 version

So I just need to look into it a little more. I've already noticed the new IPC has some more object detection/reporting features I saw when I was in a tight parking space, that I had never seen on my old IPC, and I don't want to lose any of that by downgrading, so I want to be careful. Especially since I still have the traffic signs on the radio. Also, there's an outside chance I might look into Traffic Sign Recognition, in which case I'd almost certainly want my IPC to be the higher version anyway. But I know for that I'd need (at least) an upgraded IPMA, and I'm not sure but possibly an upgraded CCM as well. Still tossing things around.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Also, because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in here (and I was thinking, and possibly even said, the same thing, prior to my upgrade):

I get it, about not wanting to lose any functionality when you upgrade to the MKZ cluster. I really do. I was the same way. And I still am. However, having done it, I can tell you my observations:

1. If I lost anything, the only thing I lost was traffic signs on the IPC (but I still have them on the center of the dash).
2. I have absolutely gained multiple other functions, including enhanced configurability of my dash displays, Lincoln Drive Control, enhanced reporting to the IPC for various things, and possibly some other things
3. I think others have mentioned this before, but it's sort of like a combo of the best of both the 400A and 401A clusters. But it's better than that, even, because you get some extra Lincoln-only functionality added as well.

So my wholehearted recommendation, if you're thinking about it and on the edge, is to just know that it's really a huge upgrade. Just huge. It takes what is already a great driver's car and makes it even more of one. And the process was really smooth, it wasn't difficult at all. I don't have any regrets. This, and the tune, are probably the two single biggest upgrades on the car, in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The only thing I lost is the climate screen from the 401A IPC - but not only is that not really a huge deal, it wasn't enabled on 17+ models anyways so most people won't miss it.

@Engineer Was there an actual reason he used '19 firmware on yours? What MY is the cluster from? There isn't always necessarily a reason, most people just do the latest to say they use the latest.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The only thing I lost is the climate screen from the 401A IPC - but not only is that not really a huge deal, it wasn't enabled on 17+ models anyways so most people won't miss it.

@Engineer Was there an actual reason he used '19 firmware on yours? What MY is the cluster from? There isn't always necessarily a reason, most people just do the latest to say they use the latest.

Hey @DaMiFo ! I'm not sure why he used later firmware. It's probably like you said, just because it's the latest. I think I might be able to flash it down to 18 with the beta ForScan Beta though but I've never tried that. I'm willing to do it if that's possible, at least in theory, though. I imagine if I sent it back to him and had him re-flash it he could back it down too, but I'd rather not deal with all that if I can avoid it. If flashing down with ForScan Beta isn't an option I'll probably just not worry about it since I still have the signs on the center dash. Especially since I don't know how much longer we'll be able to get map updates for these cars anyway, and once that stops the speed limit data will get out of date anyhow. But if I can flash it down I'll definitely consider it. Or, alternatively, if there's a cheap UCDS/FJDS/IDS/whatever kit I can buy that would let me do it (keeping in mind I'm not a Ford mechanic, just a computer guy), I'd be open to that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a question for those who installed Lincoln MKZ Clusters, did you chimes change? I had a 2018 MKX IPC installed in my 2016 Edge Sport, the chimes changed to the Lincoln style and now are softer. I also the liftgate closing chime & overspeed (+120km/h) chime don't come. If the chimes are switched to IPC they will come, but if the chimes are set to vehicle speakers they don't.

Wondering if if someone knows how to sort the chimes issue from installing a Lincoln IPC into a Ford. Found a question posted on the 2gfusion forums (link) but no answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a question for those who installed Lincoln MKZ Clusters, did you chimes change? I had a 2018 MKX IPC installed in my 2016 Edge Sport, the chimes changed to the Lincoln style and now are softer. I also the liftgate closing chime & overspeed (+120km/h) chime don't come. If the chimes are switched to IPC they will come, but if the chimes are set to vehicle speakers they don't.

Wondering if if someone knows how to sort the chimes issue from installing a Lincoln IPC into a Ford. Found a question posted on the 2gfusion forums (link) but no answer. Thanks.
Hi @omar302 yes my chimes definitely changed. I don't notice a volume difference but they are the Lincoln chimes now. I don't mind that so I haven't tried to change it, but I'm not aware of any way to do so anyhow. I have my APIM in Ford Performance mode, and my cluster receives that from the APIM, so if there were a way to change the chimes I would have expected that to be it, but they're still the Lincoln chimes. I think the chimes are in the firmware.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
IPC chimes are written to eeprom, not standard flash memory, so not easily changeable.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just wanted to add an update to this and mention that the Lincoln MKZ cluster enabled the reverse mirror tilt in my car. So I think that feature has been removed from 2018+ FFS firmware, but of course the Lincolns have it so if you swap the IPC you can enable that in 2018+ cars. I got it all set up today, it's a nice feature once you configure it! Just one more reason to do the MKZ IPC swap. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
254 Posts
I just wanted to add an update to this and mention that the Lincoln MKZ cluster enabled the reverse mirror tilt in my car. So I think that feature has been removed from 2018+ FFS firmware, but of course the Lincolns have it so if you swap the IPC you can enable that in 2018+ cars. I got it all set up today, it's a nice feature once you configure it! Just one more reason to do the MKZ IPC swap. :cool:
Did you have to enable the option to enable/disable it on the Cluster using Forscan? (I don't know how it would work when it comes from the factory).

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Did you have to enable the option to enable/disable it on the Cluster using Forscan? (I don't know how it would work when it comes from the factory).
Hi @BlueDust ,

Yeah I had to enable it with ForScan. I had the DDM and PDM modules still configured, but the old FFS 401A IPC didn't support reverse mirror tilt, so the feature never worked before. But once I installed the new Lincoln module, the option was available (since I enabled it with ForScan). I just went into the menu and turned it on the other day, and today I actually configured the mirrors to use it. It works really well!

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
No. 2013's have slightly different hardware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have access to Ford IDS software. Can these clusters be programmed through that or does it have to be done UCDS? The person I can use the Ford software through wasn't sure if this is something they could do.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
No, for IDS to program a anything it has to match the selected module's part/hw number to the same as whatever shipped from the factory in that specific vehicle. If you had the dual 4.2" IPC, it needs to see another IPC of that kind otherwise it will stop and give you an error.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I used the new firmware to retain the same number of lines of as built. I noticed JST7 firmware only has 7 lines vs KS7T and up I believe have 9 or 10 and it corresponds more with the number of lines in the 401A IPC. It is a better 1:1 match for the number of lines.

I hope that better explains why.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I used the new firmware to retain the same number of lines of as built. I noticed JST7 firmware only has 7 lines vs KS7T and up I believe have 9 or 10 and it corresponds more with the number of lines in the 401A IPC. It is a better 1:1 match for the number of lines.

I hope that better explains why.
Hey Rob! Cluster is still working great, one of the best upgrades I've ever seen or done for a car, ever. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! 😀

101 - 120 of 120 Posts