Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford Fusion SE 1.5L
2 Posts
Hey @DaMiFo ! First off thank you for this write up and helping out those who had questions. I had a couple questions for you as well. (I may have missed the answer when I read through this thread).

So after spending $500 + on 3 different clusters, I got lucky and found a 2015 mondeo mk5 1.5L, auto, gas and mph cluster to put into my 2014 ford fusion se 1.5L. Would I have to do much (if any) programming to get it to work?

Last question is, if I do need to program it, do I need to have the ucds adapter or can I just use a forscan adapter? I think I read somewhere that I can use forscan to set the correct mileage.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
If you have a 2014, yeah you should be fine just installing the 2015 cluster. You will definitely to program your AsBuild data, as I'd be willing to bet the Mondeo that IPC came from has different features even tho it's a 1.5 auto.

FORScan can increase mileage (if they didn't remove that feature for some reason - I haven't checked in a long time). If the IPC you bought has a higher mileage than your car, you'll need UCDS with enough tokens, or pay a company that calibrates speedometers to reset it.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Fusion SE 1.5L
2 Posts
If you have a 2014, yeah you should be fine just installing the 2015 cluster. You will definitely to program your AsBuild data, as I'd be willing to bet the Mondeo that IPC came from has different features even tho it's a 1.5 auto.

FORScan can increase mileage (if they didn't remove that feature for some reason - I haven't checked in a long time). If the IPC you bought has a higher mileage than your car, you'll need UCDS with enough tokens, or pay a company that calibrates speedometers to reset it.
Okay thanks for the quick response! The milage on the one I bought was 19,000 and I have close to 69,000 on my fusion so I should be good.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
After flashing a 2015 MKZ cluster i noticed the even flashing the JS7T firmware the digital speed doesn't show in the center. I flashed a 2018 cluster on the same firmware and it showed the speed in the center? Is there a cut off on what year have it and what year doesn't?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
254 Posts
Any idea on how to fix the fuel history menu to actually show avg data? Currently only the bar graph seems to works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Всем привет . была проблема. некоторые индикаторы не горят (замените FORSCAN) Я не помню, что я изменил. Вы можете помочь?
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Gauge Tachometer

·
Registered
284 Posts
What are the specs you need to look for when looking for a cluster for the swap, MKZ or Mondeo? What does the donor vehicle need to have to make sure it will work in a 2019 FFS? If you go with a Mondeo unit, since they are European, can it be programmed so the units, speed, distance, temp, will be in imperial units rather than metric?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just did this swap and didn't use UCDS (it's been in transit for over a month still). I just reloaded my as-built data and used forscan to update the mileage. I'll customize it when UCDS gets here, but without it everything is working same as it did with my old cluster.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just did this swap and didn't use UCDS (it's been in transit for over a month still). I just reloaded my as-built data and used forscan to update the mileage. I'll customize it when UCDS gets here, but without it everything is working same as it did with my old cluster.
What specs did you look for when getting your cluster? I'd like to do it, but I don't want to get the wrong unit.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I received my cluster today!

I do have a 9/32" socket and a short extended (maybe 2-3 inches?). Hopefully that's long enough, otherwise I'll have to get a little longer one.

Can't wait to install this!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
What specs did you look for when getting your cluster? I'd like to do it, but I don't want to get the wrong unit.
Talk to Rob Ingle. He'll hook you up. Process was really smooth. I can't speak (yet) for how well it works, because I haven't put mine in yet, but I've got it here with me now.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
254 Posts
Talk to Rob Ingle. He'll hook you up. Process was really smooth. I can't speak (yet) for how well it works, because I haven't put mine in yet, but I've got it here with me now.
Rob is a good guy. He went out of his way to help resolve an issue I had with the cluster he sent me, making sure I was happy. Probably spent more time helping fix the issue then initially setting up the cluster at his house + waiting in line at USPS to ship it to me.
😂

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hi folks,

If I may, a technical question about this:

There was a problem with my cluster and Rob's being great about taking care of it, but the upshot is while I'm waiting on that to get resolved, I've rethought my earlier question about getting the mileage exact and thought of a better way to describe my actual concern here.

A very short digression in the technicality to explain myself:

There's a concept in statistics which states that getting two values to match, exactly, is very difficult. In particular, this exhibits with analog values when you try to set the value of a target to be "identical" to a source. In other words, what is close enough for "sameness"?

The concern I have is that in my mind, I envision the mileage as being stored by what is commonly in electronics referred to as a "pulse counter", storing a number of total pulses which have occurred over the lifetime and translating that into a numeric value for output on the display. If I am right, there should be certain periods during which the counted number of pulses result in a calculated display value which deviates from the human-readable value which would be calculated from the value stored within the other modules, because of that "what is close enough for sameness" issue I mentioned above.

If so, I would expect, during such transient events, to receive a DTC. But I really would like someone more familiar with the protocol/mechanism on the wire for how this is handled to comment here, because if it's, for instance, a value broadcast from the IPC across the CAN bus to update the mileage on secondary modules, which is received and updated as long as it's within a certain threshold, then this issue would be self-correcting almost immediately and there is no cause for concern.

Anyhow I apologize for the winding rant and getting into the weeds a bit but that's what's been nagging at me. It won't stop me from replacing it, because folks have been having it work well and I see no reason I'd be any different, and also in natural equipment failure situations dealers must replace these clusters anyhow and if this weren't a resolveable issue they would have the same problem in those scenarios. So I'm only so worried about it. But still, I'd like to hear from anyone on here who has more familiarity with the technical issues around the protocol, how the updates are handled across the network, etc.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
As you guessed, there is a threshold for variance between mileage. If it's exceed, you get a DTC saying exactly that. As long as you accurately program your IPC's mileage to the realistic best of your ability, you'll be 100% fine.

When I did mine, I believe I had to program the value in kilometers and there is no decimal allowed when programming, so I was technically like 0.2 miles off or something. The modules update each other as long as they're all within that threshold, whatever it may be. And FYI if you check, you may see the other modules differ by more than a mile or two, which is totally OK.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hey those of you who've done this, did you run into any problems getting the speed limit signs displayed on your IPC? Or if you have an MKZ (or a swapped cluster that's displaying them), where should I be looking for that? I still see them on my radio, they're just not appearing on my MKZ cluster like they did my old 401A cluster. I'm sure it's just a setting but any info anyone has would help.

Actually I looked at this some more and I think what's happening is the newer firmwares removed this feature. I may try using ForScan to downgrade the IPC firmware to 2018 to see if that solves it.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts