Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
First off, I take no credit for discovering this. DanMc85 over on 2GFusions found all this info out. I am just spreading the word!

Check out his write-up (here) for his great explanation and details on part numbers that are. He also offers programming services. I’ll gladly help anyone out, as I’m sure will others who’ve done this mod by themselves on this forum, but I can’t take any business away from DanMc8. He’s a great guy and does a lot of discovering for us all (so why not help him back?)!

Disclaimer: It’s up to you to program your mileage 100% correctly, not doing so is a federal offense. If you do not know how to do it properly, there are tons of companies who specialize in correctly updating instrument panels. If the mileage does not match, the car will give several OBD codes.

Disclaimer #2: Only you are responsible for anything that happens while doing this. This is not a Ford-approved modification. Do this at your own risk.

So… what you’ll need:

- UCDS (cable + full license with at least 1 ‘lvl 1’ credit)
- 9/32 socket with extension

- Option A (easier):
- - 2015+ Lincoln MKZ AWD instrument cluster
- - 2014+ Ford Mondeo MK5 IPC lens

- Option B (harder to find, cheaper):
- - 2015+ Ford Mondeo IPC, in Automatic trans, Gas/Petrol, and MPH Speedometer (or KPH for Canadians, of course).

Swap IPC Lenses:
(This is only if you bought both an MKZ and Mondeo cluster)

1) Remove the 2 top screw from the back of each instrument cluster that holds the lens on.

2) Undo the 7 clips from the plastic lenses from each panel, then take the lenses off. Be careful not to break the tabs.

3) Swap the lenses and reinstall the two screws that hold the lens to the panel that you removed first.

Install the IPC:
1) Connect FORScan or UCDS to your car and make a backup of your current IPC’s configuration.

Pull back from the edge of the kick-panel under the steering wheel. It will require some force before it pops off.

3) Remove the 2 screws that hold the headlight switch in.

Pull the headlight switch off very carefully, as the wires connecting the knob and trunk button are very short. You can disconnect the switch if you want, but it will need to be reconnected after you get the bezel off as the headlights will turn on until the switch is reconnected.

5) Move your steering wheel all the way towards you and down.

6) Pull up on the lower-center part of the bezel, then pull it back and lay it over the steering column. Be careful not to pull too hard and stretch/rip the leather/vinyl strip connected to it.

7) Remove 2 screws holding the bezel in – one on each side of the steering column.

8) Pull the bezel straight back by sticking your hand behind it and in front of the cluster lens.

9) Remove the 4 screws holding in the instrument cluster.

10) Remove the cluster carefully, starting by pulling the left side towards you. Stick your hand behind and disconnect the connector. Now you can fully remove it.

11) Reinstall the cluster in reverse order. When reinstalling the bezel, make sure the all the clips on the top are aligned as you push it on, otherwise it will sink down and not fit right.

Programming:
I don't recommend doing this part alone unless you're confident and know how AsBuilt works. You can brick your new IPC if you screw up the firmware flash, and there's no "one size fits all" set of AsBuilt data that can be shared among everyone. It can be figured out with the help of others (its also one of DanMc85's services), it's just not really for beginners. Not trying to discourage anyone, tho. Just trying to give a heads up so nothing gets broken.

1) It’s recommended you have the car on a charger while doing extensive programming, and especially writing firmware. Turn off all lights, HVAC, and radio components.

2) In UCDS, turn on CANBUS mode and enter VBF Loader.

3) Add your firmware files in the first top lines. The bootloader file must go in the first line.

4) At the bottom in the Settings section, make sure the model & year of car match the model & year that your IPC came out of, not your actual Fusion.

5) Click “Start Programming”, this will take at least 15 minutes.

6) Now you have to program the IPC. You’ll need to modify the AsBuilt data to match your car. Not everything is in the same place, but 98% of things are. So that’s a good place to start.

7) Within FORScan, here are the few things that you must set correctly (this applies to all Sports):
- 720-03-01: xxx2 AAxx xxxx
- 720-05-02: xxxx 15xx

8) Now you can enable/disable extra features in within UCDS if you desire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks! Literally ordered a cluster twice from different junk yards and both said the part sold like an hour before my order was placed and removed from their site. Which one of you people are watching me!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
705 Posts
One of the best things I did to mine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Supposedly got the last Canadian cluster Friday. Mondeo cluster arrives tomorrow. Can’t wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, why are you guys doing the swap?

What are the benefits?
You get a full size tachometer, with full customization of the instrument cluster. Think of it as a combination of the 400A and 401A clusters.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
183 Posts
Insane in the membrane...

Performance in S? I hate you... :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, to be fair changing "Performance in S" does nothing. The Fusion's other computer's don't allow that. No matter what I set it to, pushing S puts everything in S.

In the Lincolns having that is sweet, tho. Had an MKZ for a month. You can make it so S just changes the suspension while the transmission is nice and smooth, for example.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha, to be fair changing "Performance in S" does nothing. The Fusion's other computer's don't allow that. No matter what I set it to, pushing S puts everything in S.

In the Lincolns having that is sweet, tho. Had an MKZ for a month. You can make it so S just changes the suspension while the transmission is nice and smooth, for example.
Have you tried comparing the VDM module code from the MKZ to the Fusion?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Have you tried comparing the VDM module code from the MKZ to the Fusion?
Hey you finally came back over here! haha.

Yeah, I did a couple weeks ago, been too cold outside to test on the car tho.

Good news is both '17 Fusion and MKZs use the same firmware, part number, and calibration for the VDM. There's only two differences in the AsBuilt.

721-01-01 0#01-1002-$$00
# - Seems to be vehicle model
$ - Seems to be engine

F Sport: 0A01-1002-1000
L MKZ: 0301-1002-1300

The (sort of) bad news is FORScan can't see the VDM. At least with v2.3.12... I haven't tried v2.3.13 yet since it was released last week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey you finally came back over here! haha.

Yeah, I did a couple weeks ago, been too cold outside to test on the car tho.

Good news is both '17 Fusion and MKZs use the same firmware, part number, and calibration for the VDM. There's only two differences in the AsBuilt.

721-01-01 0#01-1002-$$00
# - Seems to be vehicle model
$ - Seems to be engine

F Sport: 0A01-1002-1000
L MKZ: 0301-1002-1300

The (sort of) bad news is FORScan can't see the VDM. At least with v2.3.12... I haven't tried v2.3.13 yet since it was released last week.

I lerk from time to time haha... just don't post much. :)

yea 721-01-01 has vehicle model, body style, engine type, transfer case (i.e. AWD, FWD, RWD), and transmission model

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I lerk from time to time haha... just don't post much. :)

yea 721-01-01 has vehicle model, body style, engine type, transfer case (i.e. AWD, FWD, RWD), and transmission model
Haha. So, do you think they'd really turn features on or off depending on vehicle model setting? Or there's something else keeping it from having the independent Sport settings?

I looked within UCDS, nothing really stands out at me. Maybe the "personality profile" settings in Feature Configuration section in UCDS, but they all match what Lincoln's have, so I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
This looks awesome! I had a 2015 Chrysler 200 that had a way better-looking instrument cluster than current fusions and that is one big disappointment I have with the fusion. (#firstworldproblems) This is an amazing mod. Is anyone selling complete units ready to go? Also, does anyone know if the traffic sign notification is functional and if so from GPS or camera?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, DanMc85 sells them pre-setup (he's primarily on 2GFusions).

If you have Navigation, it will show the speed limit on the instrument panel, but that's it. Real TSR is only functional outside of North America on our cars (yeah, people have tried).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great! Thank you for the quick reply. So glad you posted this on FFS forums not sure I would have seen/thought about it otherwise.

I figured as much but couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. I would love to have true TSR and the adaptive headlights the Mondeo have but cost wise it just doesn't make sense.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got this done! Damifo your install instructions were perfect, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! And congrats! I'm glad my post helped someone. As good & experienced as I am with interior work, even to me it always seems daunting before you start, lol.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts