Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
How to replace your trunk tail lights on a 2017+ Fusion (to upgrade to Level 3 trunk tail lights).

For those unfamiliar, this is the difference between Level 1 inner tail lights (bottom picture, stock) and Level 3 inner tail lights (top - upgraded for the Sport, stock on Titanium and Platinum).

There is no software programming involved in this swap, just hardware.

--------

1) First, you'll need the right parts

a) Tail lights:
-- HS7Z-13405-H
-- HS7Z-13404-H

Older part numbers that would also work (if found used or old stock) are HS7Z-13405-B and HS7Z-13404-B. Just make sure parts say "Level 3" if ordering new.

b) Trunk lid wire harness: HG9Z-17K400-B

c) Interior trim tools are strongly recommended to preserve your clips & rivets: such as these http://a.co/i91WJwm

--------

2) Start by removing the trim & carpeting

a) Remove the two pop rivets circled in green. Lift your trunk floor, then pull the entire trim peice off (towards the inside of the trunk / away from you).

b) On the driver's side, unscrew the cargo net anchors (blue) and use your trim tools to pull out the push rivet (red). Pull the carpeting away from you to reveal your VDM. We'll come back here later.

c) Remove the trunk lid liner by removing all 7 push rivets (blue). Optionally, you can remove the trunk handle cover if you plan to remove the handle (if you have one). I did not, as I was also unable to remove the cover for the latch anyways, as I felt it would break if I pried any harder.

d) If you want to remove the handle and removed the cover, remove the top screw (blue), then remove the second screw (green, hidden in image but directly under where the green circle is).

e) Pull back (or remove) the trunk liner. I was able to squeeze behind the liner leaving it just like this.

--------

3) Replace the tail lights

a) Remove the chrome strip. Use a wedge trim removal tool (I also wrapped it in a paper towel to keep from scratching), and pry the chrome strip out of the tail lights. It is held in by clips. It takes some force, but it'll start to pop out towards you.
I only removed the two clips on each tail lights and was able to slightly bend the strip (with no adverse effects) to slide the tail lights out to the side.

b) Unplug the reverse bulb connectors.

c) Remove the 3 screws holding each tail light to the trunk

d) Install your new tail light assemblies & chrome trim (you won't be able to plug in the lights yet).

--------

4) Replace the wire harness

a) Start by unplugging the wire harness from around the VDM. We are replacing the wire that you see running along the trunk hinge. Follow it to the connector and disconnect it.

b) Plug in the new harness to where you just disconnected it.

c) Start replacing the harness inside the trunk. Work down the line up-clipping the harness from the body/trunk one clip at a time (red arrows), while securing the new harness to the car after each section of the old one you remove. You will end at the passenger-side tail light.
Be sure to plug in each connector as you go. The only different connectors are the two that connect to the tail lights. The trunk button, backup camera, and trunk latch are all the same.

--------

5) After everything is connected, turn on your headlights or parking lights to make sure the trunk lights are lit up. If they are not, double check each connector is plugged in all the way. As stated above, no programming is needed.

6) Reinstall all your carpeting & trim.

7) Enjoy your new classy rear end ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Fantastic write up! Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just want to let everyone know, I recently got my core deposit back on the assemblies. I ordered from the link provided in the Performance Parts sticky, from fordpartstn. All they cared about was that the core was in the box it was sent in.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The company may be out the core charge then, you're lucky. I know Ford themselves are picky about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
One thing I'm struggling with that the pictures don't make clear, where is the harness, up through the decklid from one side to the other, or down near the floor the trunk, where you remove the plastic piece near the latch? May be a stupid question, but I wanna be prepared

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
One thing I'm struggling with that the pictures don't make clear, where is the harness, up through the decklid from one side to the other, or down near the floor the trunk, where you remove the plastic piece near the latch? May be a stupid question, but I wanna be prepared
If I remember correctly the harness come up the drivers side arm of trunk and run across the the light area behind the license plate to the passengers side. Harness install was easy.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, Oreo has it right. It's the only wire that is attached to the driver's side trunk hinge. It goes from the BCM area, up the trunk arm, to the driver's side tail light, then to the camera & trunk button, then ends at the passenger side tail light.

It's very easy. Follow that harness to the BCM, disconnect the first connector you get to, plug in the new harness while it's hanging loose, then just take your time and swap the harnesses one clip/section at a time (remove one clip, clip new harness in to the body/trunk, then repeat).

·
Registered
54 Posts
After making that post last night I sorta figured it out, but someone's gotta ask the stupid questions. Thanks for clearing it up a bit more, though, glad to hear it isn't tricky.
Also got the email this morning that the parts shipped, hopefully they'll be here soon.

EDIT: Was swapping the license plates and puddle lamps out for LEDs earlier, and while the trunk is open I saw exactly the clips and harness in question. Can't believe I let some wirey bois confuse me like that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the level 3 tail lights are stock on titanium & platinum hybrids & energis too?

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone confirm if the level 3 tail lights are stock on titanium & platinum hybrids & energis too?

They are. I believe all Hybrids & Energi fusions have them. But definitely stock on those higher trims.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mine are off the car for trade in and will be listed for sale!

·
Registered
68 Posts
What was the total cost in performing this upgrade? I typically avoid many “visual” upgrades, but this is nice!

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What was the total cost in performing this upgrade? I typically avoid many “visual” upgrades, but this is nice!
When I first did it at least each tail light was $225 plus $50 core charge, and the harness was $20 (for all new parts).

Looks like so places have things a lot cheaper now that they've been around for a while - $150 for the lamp with $80 core charge.

If you go for used lights they're roughly $100-150 right now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my lamps through Tasca. Each light was $150 + $80 core charge. The wiring harness was $40. So, $500 plus shipping. Not cheap, but I couldn't resist. I still have to send the old lamps back for the core refund. That'd get me back down to $340 which isn't bad. I'm slightly skeptical of whether they will refund the core charge since the lamps I'm returning aren't the same part number. I think I might try selling them on ebay instead.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought my lamps through Tasca. Each light was $150 + $80 core charge. The wiring harness was $40. So, $500 plus shipping. Not cheap, but I couldn't resist. I still have to send the old lamps back for the core refund. That'd get me back down to $340 which isn't bad. I'm slightly skeptical of whether they will refund the core charge since the lamps I'm returning aren't the same part number. I think I might try selling them on ebay instead.
if you send them back to tasca and get the refund let me know.. its the only thing stopping me from doing the switch

1 - 20 of 46 Posts