Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspecting my 2017 Fusion Sport (17k miles) yesterday to monitor the leaks and was curious what I should expect in the future. The oil pan is seeping at the rear of the pan on the passenger side,right by the drain plug. I also see some dark oil at the PTU mount and sweating on the passenger axle shaft. I also see sweating if ATF on the lower part of the housing. I am used to Fords leaking and seeping fluids, it acts kind of like rust protection. But if I keep it as is and just drive on, am I looking at the leaks getting worse or does it kind of stop at a certain point?

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Do the leaks seem like there's a good amount of fluid, or just a faint hint of leaks? My PTU was slightly leaking around the passenger side axle very early on, they replaced the whole PTU under warranty at about 3k miles and it's still fine after about 24k miles and 3 years. But my pan doesn't have any obvious leaks, just very slightly oily (like just enough to collect road grime) around the drain plug and hasn't gotten any worse.

·
Registered
329 Posts
36000 miles, no leaks

Reactions: Hiker

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the leaks seem like there's a good amount of fluid, or just a faint hint of leaks? My PTU was slightly leaking around the passenger side axle very early on, they replaced the whole PTU under warranty at about 3k miles and it's still fine after about 24k miles and 3 years. But my pan doesn't have any obvious leaks, just very slightly oily (like just enough to collect road grime) around the drain plug and hasn't gotten any worse.
The oil pan is clearly wet on some of the bolts but the felt shield isnt dripping wet. The PTU mount shows dark fluid ready to drop and the axle has a sheen of fluid. The same goes for the transmission. Like it seems there are leaks but nothing actively dripping or spraying

It is still under warranty, but I am curious if these are serious issues later on. I've been monitoring the leaks for over a year now.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The oil pan is clearly wet on some of the bolts but the felt shield isnt dripping wet. The PTU mount shows dark fluid ready to drop and the axle has a sheen of fluid. The same goes for the transmission. Like it seems there are leaks but nothing actively dripping or spraying

It is still under warranty, but I am curious if these are serious issues later on. I've been monitoring the leaks for over a year now.
Hi metroplex. Since you are still under warranty, take your Fusion in for service and have the leaks taken care of. Generally speaking, mechanical issues, leaks etc get worse with time, not stay stable or get better.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on what I have heard/seen there's no guarantee the dealer will actually fix the problems, so this goes back to my original questions.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Based on what I have heard/seen there's no guarantee the dealer will actually fix the problems, so this goes back to my original questions.
Hi metroplex. Your original questions were, "But if I keep it as is and just drive on, am I looking at the leaks getting worse or does it kind of stop at a certain point?"
To that I repled, "Generally speaking, mechanical issues, leaks etc get worse with time, not stay stable or get better."

The Fusion drivetrain is no different than any other passenger vehicle when it comes to mechanical issues. Leaks will usually get worse. They rarely stay stable over a long period of time. And they very rarely heal themselves.

Personally, I do not make decisions by what I have seen/heard on the Internet. If necessary, I bring my car in for warranty work. I know what is covered and what is not. Therefore, if there are any questions (which rarely happens), I politely insist they take care of the issue. And they always do.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for trying to help, but I was really asking about the Fusion Sport specifically and the 2.7, not a generalized question. The Fords I've owned have always seeped at the oil pan/seals, transmission, etc... I don't recall a single Ford that was dry other than maybe my 07 Mustang GT / 14 SHO or my dad's 03 E-250. Everything else has generally leaked or coated the underbody with all kinds of fluids.

I'm interested to know if the leaks on the 2.7 oil pan generally get worse or stay about the same and the same goes for the PTU and trans. I thought I saw one of the regular members here saying there's always a huge puddle under his Fusion Sport even after the 3rd oil pan replaced at the dealership.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for trying to help, but I was really asking about the Fusion Sport specifically and the 2.7, not a generalized question. The Fords I've owned have always seeped at the oil pan/seals, transmission, etc... I don't recall a single Ford that was dry other than maybe my 07 Mustang GT / 14 SHO or my dad's 03 E-250. Everything else has generally leaked or coated the underbody with all kinds of fluids.

I'm interested to know if the leaks on the 2.7 oil pan generally get worse or stay about the same and the same goes for the PTU and trans. I thought I saw one of the regular members here saying there's always a huge puddle under his Fusion Sport even after the 3rd oil pan replaced at the dealership.
Hi metroplex. My answer was not generalized, it was simply trying to be diplomatic. So less diplomatically: The leak in your 2017 Fusion Sport with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine will get worse over time. Whether it will be bad enough for you to consider it a problem, or whether you will sell the car before it gets worse? No one can answer those questions other than you. But it will get worse.

I have owned nothing but new Fords and Lincolns since my first new car in 1976, and have never had the problems you have had. I guess I've been lucky.
EDIT - Correction...actually one time. A leaking left side head gasket and valve cover gasket on my 1985 Mustang GT. Both were fixed under warranty. And I have never had any warranty covered issue denied in all these years of driving Fords and Lincolns.

As far as what another member here has said about having a huge puddle after a third oil pan change? That individual needs to have them fix it right, or else he has a great Lemon Law case which a blind squirrel could win.

Since I am sincerely trying to help but not giving you the answer you are hoping for, I will now step away from your thread. Hopefully. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
329 Posts
On my fourth Fusion, prior to that a 2009 F150. In all these vehicles I have never had an oil leak. I have been using the same parking spot in my Condo since 2004 and I have no oil spots on the concrete. So, I have to go with bbf3530 on this one and say the you have really had some bad luck with your vehicles, metro. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes the leaks are just oil seeping out and covering surfaces constantly, nothing pooling on the ground except for my 81 T-bird and a Chrysler K-car with the 3 speed auto.

Like I mentioned before about 2 summers ago, my Fusion was totally covered on the right side of the underbody with what looks like engine oil - from the engine compartment to the exhaust tip. I never saw it do this again. SHO and Explorer 6F55s were totally dry, looking at girlfriend's Malibu 6T70 same thing - dry. Fusion Sport 6F55 is always wet down the bottom of the casing. I'd wipe the engine oil pan and the trans, but it would always be a bit wet. If you watch the Savagegeese review of the 2017 Fusion Sport, he had leaks all over the place as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Leak after leak for a car that is 3 years old is very concerning............if that was my car I would have it fixed under warranty and trade it in, that would linger negativity in my brain.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard the revised pan is not interchangeable because of a different PCV system inside the pan.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure if anyone here is aware, but it looks like Ford now recommends replacing leaking pans with one that uses a press-in seal on the 2.7 oil pan (at least for 2018+ engines). No idea if it's interchangeable with pre-2018 engines, tho.
I'm having this done now, so I can asked when I get it back next week. Hopefully next week, the pan has been on backorder.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
From Bulletin CAUTION: Do not use the oil pan with press-in-place gasket on 2015-2017 model year
vehicles as this oil pan is not equipped with a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) check valve.
Installation of this oil pan on a 2015-2017 model year vehicle will result in oil consumption which
may result in engine damage.

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
153 Posts
First I've heard of this. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm having this done now, so I can asked when I get it back next week. Hopefully next week, the pan has been on backorder.

Lmao, last post was June 6th. Having this done again now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
108,000+ miles on my car and the only leak it has developed around 105k and it’s coming from between the two halves of the transmission housing. Not worth dropping out the transmission to go after it. I’ve owned a couple dozen new and used Fords ranging from 1966 through 2017 - raced several, off-roaded a couple, piled on 100k plus miles on most of them and I would not characterize any them as “leakers”. If it leaks, fix it or don’t fix it. It’s a personal choice.

My wife’s uncle was a helicopter mechanic in Vietnam. He told me “if you ever get in a helicopter and it’s not leaking...get out! Because it’s out of hydraulic oil!”

1 - 20 of 21 Posts