Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

How long did it take for your mileage to level out?

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  your_cousin_vinny 
#1 ·
Just got my Sport on Friday, currently filling up with 87 Octane and I'm hitting about 16L/100KM, that's a mix of highway and city, mostly highway. Granted my foot is a little heavy right now as I still need to get used to the power of this car compared to my old SEL, but that still seems high to me

#2 ·
Yeah, thats only 14.7 mpg... that is rough. You have a heavy foot which will be causing a majority of that, 87 will get you 2-3 mpg less as well. I didn't see much change from the car after time personally, it took me driving easier on the gas pedal unless I really wanted to crank on it.

#4 ·
my car from the start has gotten 20-22 mpg combined and will hover at 30 mpg(highway) on the gauge which is off by a few mpg. I have to say though i drive this car very easy unless want to drive fast

Reactions: Wildcat Birdie
#6 ·
I drive mine with a heavy foot, plus the usual 5 - 8 minute warmups in the morning due to it being winter. I see about 14mpg when stuck with short trip city driving and 19mpg when driving 85mph on the highway. At 70mph I see around 23mpg. These numbers are all using 91 octane winter gas.

I did cruise for about 5 minutes at 100mph and noticed it sits around 15mpg, which I find surprisingly good, though completely unusable in any legal sense.

Reactions: DaMiFo and Rice
#7 ·
I got about 17MPG for the first 2,000 miles - mixed driving, 93 gas, very careful driving. After about 2000 miles (now at 6,000), I get 18-19MPG average, still 93 gas and mixed but mostly city driving. However, that's now with me flooring it on highway entrance ramps, and using the paddle shifters on back roads with my RPM's up a little, and the occasional "let's floor it past the slow Prius". So, not economic driving, but slightly better MPG at the same time. If I drive like a normal person (65 on the highway, etc) it'll do 25MPG mixed driving. As soon as you go above 65 tho, the mileage tanks.

Edit: With 2500 miles I drove about 2 hours from CT to MA, light traffic so did 60-65 the whole way, got 28MPG. So, it can be done. It's not fun, but it's possible. :)

#8 · (Edited)
I've averaged 20.2 mpg over the ~1000 miles I've driven. I haven't been driving too gently, especially compared to my previous car (2014 Fusion Ti, 50k miles, 23.8 avg, 87 octane). Also, there's been a couple hours of idling and heavy city traffic. I have been running 93 for many of miles and was seeing an average of 27 MPG when cruising the interstate last evening at 75 mph.

Considering that I don't think I've averaged much better than 23/24 mpg in any of my cars and this has AWD and about 50% more HP/torque, I won't be complaining.

ETA: this is all based off of the in-car display which seemed fairly accurate in my previous Fusion. I'll end up double checking this one at some point

#12 ·
I keep reminding myself you guys are all reporting mileage:
1) using winter gas
2) giving cars a little extra warm up time

I'm fairly positive MPG's will go up since the majority of people on here purchased their cars during the winter.
Every Ford I've owned got around 2-3 MPG's better in the summer.

I'm sure if you're buying a Fusion Sport your not too concerned about fuel mileage anyway.

#14 ·
My wife just got back from a 1000+ km trip Monday and the fuel mileage averaged 8.1 L/100 Kms on 87 octane round trip. (Little bit better than 28 mpg for my southern friends.) We have 3600 kms on the car and no speeding tickets so far. ;)

#15 ·
My gas mileage never really "leveled out". I was getting a calculated average of about 18 MPG per tank when I bought the car in october, with a few tanks of premium in before winter. Since then I've been getting around 16 or 17 per tank all winter, using 87. I'm guessing once spring shows up and sticks, I'll be back around 18-19 again. I drive 95% city, so considering the EPA number is 17 city IIRC, its really not all that surprising.

Side note, the best I could get the little instantaneous milage meter to hover at on a perfectly smooth and level road was about 36ish MPG at right about 50 MPH in 6th gear. as speed goes up from that point, milage goes down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.