Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says. Is there a way to turn off the fake engine sound? Pull a fuse, a wire or what?

Thanks in advance.
WMD

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am still unsure if it is a fake engine sound, or the real engine sound being processed through noise cancellation. I tend to think that in regular drive mode, we're hearing noise cancellation applied to the actual engine noise, and in sport mode, there is less/ no noise cancellation, but I don't know for sure.

That said, I have no idea what it would take to turn it off. An option in the menus would be nice. Since this is basically digital sound processing it would be simple to add a control switch for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am still unsure if it is a fake engine sound, or the real engine sound being processed through noise cancellation. I tend to think that in regular drive mode, we're hearing noise cancellation applied to the actual engine noise, and in sport mode, there is less/ no noise cancellation, but I don't know for sure.

That said, I have no idea what it would take to turn it off. An option in the menus would be nice. Since this is basically digital sound processing it would be simple to add a control switch for it.
It is fake sound. When my audio unit locked up the sound was gone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the sound is fine. If not for this forum i would never know it didn't sound like that outside the car. As far as modified exhaust, off the track, it sounds cheap on anything but a V8, 10 or 12, or a 2 stroke sled.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is fake sound. When my audio unit locked up the sound was gone.
I'm not an expert, but I believe you'd get the same result if this were engine noise being processed through noise cancellation, assuming they have used enough sound deadening material so that you're not hearing the engine without the audio system.

Ford's literature refers to the Sport mode "tuning the noise cancellation" which seems to imply that it's not completely fake sound, but I also doubt they would say "turns up the fake engine noise" in their literature even if that's what was happening. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
The F150 forums have a massive list of things to change in FORScan. Everything that was mentioned on 2GF but not given how to actually do it is in their spreadsheet. Disabling noise cancellation was one option I saw.
As far as it being fake, my car did the "radio won't turn on after dead battery" cars, so I went a half hour without the noise. I am also no expert, but it definitely sounds to me that it is amplifying the induction noise or something like the Focus ST to take away the high pitch of the small cylinders, rather than making fake noise. When it was off, the engine was just so quiet as our cabins are very well insulated, but if you listen you can hear the deep growl that we get with the audio on. I have been in recent BMW 5-series models, and you can definitely tell that is a fake noise.

Reactions: V8FlatHead

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sound symposer on the intake

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sound symposer on the intake
Are you suggesting we have one, or to add one like on the Focus ST?

The FoST, as you obviously know, has a sound symposer, but I didn't think there was any audio system enhanced sound like on the Sport, is there?
If all we had was a sound symposer, one could get a sound symposer "delete" which is available from several manufacturers for the FoST. Unfortunately for the OP and others this will not "shut off the fake engine sound" in our Sports.
Although in the FoST you hear induction sounds as opposed to exhaust, I could at least appreciate that they were real engine sounds.
Thankfully our fake sounds are decent, but would still prefer the real deal.

I forgot who and where the post was that had the orgasm inducing turbo V6 (alfa romeo?) please post link again to give us all something to dream about, and for those who don't think a turbo V6 can sound so good.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
You are correct, the Focus ST is just the mechanical sound symposer with no digital sound processing. The Sport has a DSP module installed for the cabin noise cancellation and engine noise, Focus ST does not.

I want to change the center screen's boot animation/logo, so when I do that I'll check on disabling the engine noise amplifier and report back to you guys, hopefully tomorrow after work.

Reactions: V8FlatHead

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Does the sport have a sound tube that comes off of the intake? Seems several cars now a days have one, even my mustang with a V8 had one that fed a tube into the cabin for additional sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does the sport have a sound tube that comes off of the intake? Seems several cars now a days have one, even my mustang with a V8 had one that fed a tube into the cabin for additional sound.
Exactly! I'm currently driving a '10 Mustang GT that has a tube that feeds sound into the cabin. The Mustang V8 has a nice sound track of it's own and even with stock exhaust, has great exhaust sound, but the tube gives it a little bit of a carburetor typed sound, a little burble that enters the cabin.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I forgot who and where the post was that had the orgasm inducing turbo V6 (alfa romeo?) please post link again to give us all something to dream about, and for those who don't think a turbo V6 can sound so good.
This is the official commercial...

This one has "real world" startup and revs. It does not sound as refined as the commercial but still really good. Of course this is an 80k+ car with a Ferrari tuned engine but it does show that a smaller 6 can produce nice sound...

https://youtu.be/OStBe5ZvKEA?t=1m14s

·
Registered
165 Posts
First of all, let's stop saying that a small displacement engine can't sound good. I had a girlfriend way back in 1986 that had a 1986 Camaro with the stock 2.8L V6 engine that put out a paltry 135HP and 160LB FT, and I'm telling you, it sounded like a NASCAR soundtrack. Had some exhaust bark, but in general, it was the engine itself that sounded really good. It can be done, I just think manufacturers leave that stuff for the aftermarket guys now, being that there are so many. Unfortunately, I'm a STOCK guy, I don't modify my vehicles, and I haven't yet purchased a FSP yet, and if they don't fix this **** battery issue, I most certainly will NOT be dropping $40K on one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I dunno, one of the reasons I bought the Sport was because, even with the tasteful pipes I've got on the GTO she (who is pretty deaf) can't hear anything I say in that car!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Whether an engine sounds "good" or not has a lot to do with one's perception of what good means.
The Alfa Romero above sounds good for a V6 but it still sounds like a V6.

Back to the thread,
For the fake engine sound.
In the owner's manual there is fuse 33 that says Radio - Active Noise... Not sure if this will kill the active noise only or the radio and active noise cancellation but may be worth a try??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Are you suggesting we have one, or to add one like on the Focus ST?

The FoST, as you obviously know, has a sound symposer, but I didn't think there was any audio system enhanced sound like on the Sport, is there?
If all we had was a sound symposer, one could get a sound symposer "delete" which is available from several manufacturers for the FoST. Unfortunately for the OP and others this will not "shut off the fake engine sound" in our Sports.
Although in the FoST you hear induction sounds as opposed to exhaust, I could at least appreciate that they were real engine sounds.
Thankfully our fake sounds are decent, but would still prefer the real deal.

I guess looking into this further, the fusion does use some type of digital sound not a symposer like the ST , I knew I had read about it and could hear it in the cabin of my fusion, but most recently it has vanished, but with the exhaust system I don't miss it, it could be the exhaust just drowns it out and I don't hear it any more, but the axle back system I installed is not that loud nor does it have any drone like some others had asked.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts