Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So I just read that in order for a misfire DTC to be set the Mode 6 misfire count has to exceed the threshold which IIRC was 65,535 misfires.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Got my tune revision installed no more miss fire on #6 but the boost is down to 15psi now which is a loss of 6psi over last tune file

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I do not try user blackhawk77

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do any of you have a stock HPTuners read for a MKZ 3.0 by any chance?
If you get one, let me know what the engine size is in the general table.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I just read that in order for a misfire DTC to be set the Mode 6 misfire count has to exceed the threshold which IIRC was 65,535 misfires.
This is not true. The misfire monitor watches the number of misfires that occur during a 200 and 1000 RPM period, then based on the rate of misfire, will set a DTC. The 200 RPM period is basically used to determine if the catalyst will be damaged by the number of misfires in that period and whether a DTC needs to be set or the cylinder disabled. It also uses the 200 RPM monitor under high load conditions. The 1000 RPM period is more for emissions related/slight misfires that will not cause catalyst damage. At 2000 RPM with a dead miss, you'd have to drive for 30 minutes to set a misfire code with a threshold 65,535 misfires! Lol

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I do not think my methanol is working correctly as my data log has a 4.1 knock reading on my test run this morning

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This is not true. The misfire monitor watches the number of misfires that occur during a 200 and 1000 RPM period, then based on the rate of misfire, will set a DTC. The 200 RPM period is basically used to determine if the catalyst will be damaged by the number of misfires in that period and whether a DTC needs to be set or the cylinder disabled. It also uses the 200 RPM monitor under high load conditions. The 1000 RPM period is more for emissions related/slight misfires that will not cause catalyst damage. At 2000 RPM with a dead miss, you'd have to drive for 30 minutes to set a misfire code with a threshold 65,535 misfires! Lol
I have read several times that it takes a long time of misfiring for the actual DTC to be set. As you recall before I'd get severe misfiring and shuddering (same symptoms as the F-150s) along with stallouts but never once did a DTC get set. I've had the DTC set before for random misfires P0300 and random P030x on my 2000 Crown Vic with aftermarket cams but those symptoms weren't nearly as bad as that on the Fusion Sport, and it took a long time (as in number of drive cycles) before those DTCs would set. I've heard the misfiring detection system referred to as a neural network as far back as in the late 90s/early 00's by Ford powertrain engineers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have read several times that it takes a long time of misfiring for the actual DTC to be set. As you recall before I'd get severe misfiring and shuddering (same symptoms as the F-150s) along with stallouts but never once did a DTC get set. I've had the DTC set before for random misfires P0300 and random P030x on my 2000 Crown Vic with aftermarket cams but those symptoms weren't nearly as bad as that on the Fusion Sport, and it took a long time (as in number of drive cycles) before those DTCs would set. I've heard the misfiring detection system referred to as a neural network as far back as in the late 90s/early 00's by Ford powertrain engineers.
Yeah, a DTC will not usually set unless the misfire is severe and persists. If you have a couple hiccups for couple seconds like we’re experiencing, a DTC will be pending but won’t set as a hard fault unless the misfire continues to occur. Since the misfire goes away fast, no DTC is set. The information I posted is from the 2019 Ford OBD Theory and Operations manual, it’s a giant manual that explains how all the emissions systems function.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
How much does a miss fire effect KR ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not as much as a bad timing chain, guides, and tensioners. :)

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I should not have that problem at 24k miles

·
Registered
110 Posts
I should not have that problem at 24k miles
No,but its a crab shoot. I,ve done 3.5's with less than 100,000, and one with 280,000. I would hope Ford figured out the weak link and didn't design a repeat of the 3.5 when they came up with the 2.7

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I am gonna compression test the #6 cylinder tomorrow just in case , can one of the member please post compression test specs for the 2.7

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am gonna compression test the #6 cylinder tomorrow just in case , can one of the member please post compression test specs for the 2.7
I looked through the FSM and could only find a generic chart. "The indicated compression pressures are considered within specification if the lowest reading cylinder is at least 75% of the highest reading. Refer to the Compression Pressure Limit Chart."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
thanks Metro

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
No problem, hopefully that made sense. It wasn't as easy to find as I'd hoped and it didn't make sense to me. But I am curious what you find out since cylinder #6 seems to be prone to misfires on my engine as well.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts