Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my car after the MKZ turbo swap. I don't have methanol, but I get occasional high RPM misfires, only on cylinder 6. I seem to be able to duplicate the issue most easily when in Sport mode and going WOT around 60 MPH. If I go WOT around 60 MPH in Sport mode, the car will downshift, run through the RPMs, go to shift up, but downshift instead and bounce itself off the limiter. Once it does this, the MIL flashes, cylinder 6 is deactivated, and the car runs like crap for a minute or two until the PCM starts firing #6 again. You can't really feel the misfire until the MIL starts to flash, but car does feel down on power a bit until it bangs off the limiter. I have tried swapping plugs and coils between cylinders to see if the misfire follows and it doesn't. I also had the dealer replace the #6 injector under warranty and it didn't change anything. I gapped the plugs down to .024 incase there was spark blowout but that didn't resolve it either.
That is exactly what happened to my Fusion Sport with the stock turbos as long as 2 years ago. The first few times it happened I was trying to diagnose it but no one here ever encountered it or didn't bother to comment on my posts. But when that MIL flashes, the trans often stops working - it goes into neutral and I can use the paddles to up/downshift but nothing happens and I'm stuck in "neutral." I wasted a lot of time looking at the transmission. That was very early on. More recently it'd shudder very badly, or just stall out at the light. Drilling the weep hole and blowing out the "cobwebs" helped, and the new plugs helped as well. My 2014 SHO never had these issues even at 30k miles of hard use with a tune, and dozens upon dozens of WOT runs/track runs. Oil was basically spewing out of the rear turbo on that 3.5 and everything just ran like clockwork. Weird.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is exactly what happened to my Fusion Sport with the stock turbos as long as 2 years ago. The first few times it happened I was trying to diagnose it but no one here ever encountered it or didn't bother to comment on my posts. But when that MIL flashes, the trans often stops working - it goes into neutral and I can use the paddles to up/downshift but nothing happens and I'm stuck in "neutral." I wasted a lot of time looking at the transmission. That was very early on. More recently it'd shudder very badly, or just stall out at the light. Drilling the weep hole and blowing out the "cobwebs" helped, and the new plugs helped as well. My 2014 SHO never had these issues even at 30k miles of hard use with a tune, and dozens upon dozens of WOT runs/track runs. Oil was basically spewing out of the rear turbo on that 3.5 and everything just ran like clockwork. Weird.
My transmission doesn't go into failsafe when the MIL flashes. The sequence of events is like this:

1. Go WOT, run through 3rd gear
2. PCM initiates shift, instead of shifting to 4th, it shifts down to 2nd.
3. Bounce off the limiter, I lift off the gas.
4. MIL begins to flash and vehicle runs rough. Reapply normal throttle, transmission has shifted to 6th
5. Drive for 1-2 minutes with the MIL flashing, car running rough. PCM returns cylinder 6 to operation after 1-2 minutes and the car runs fine.

No DTC is ever actually set. P0306 is always pending after this happens. I don't think I have ever been able to duplicate this while the car is in normal mode. It seems to only happen in Sport. After the events above, I can go WOT again in normal mode and nothing happens but I can go WOT again in Sport and pretty reliably induce the fault.

I think if this was related to excess oil in the intercooler, it would happen in normal mode as well. The F150 intercooler discussed earlier in the thread caused misfires because the intercooler was "too good". When you were cruising down the road in humid conditions, moisture from the incoming air would fall out in the intercooler and when you went WOT, that water would be blown into the intake and cause the misfires. While that could occur here, there shouldn't be any time for new moisture to accumulate during back to back WOT pulls.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Excellent point. My misfire problem was present before my MKZ turbo install, but was solved by the GDI flush. But after the MKZ turbos, there had been a concurrent and more persistent misfire, and the solution of replacing plugs was a cure without a diagnosis. What surprises me is that those people running Unleashed or other tunes with data files that can be finely dissected haven’t seen some clues as to the MKZ turbos being the culprits. You’d think there’s going to be some trace of smoke somewhere that’ll lead to the fire.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My transmission doesn't go into failsafe when the MIL flashes. The sequence of events is like this:

1. Go WOT, run through 3rd gear
2. PCM initiates shift, instead of shifting to 4th, it shifts down to 2nd.
3. Bounce off the limiter, I lift off the gas.
4. MIL begins to flash and vehicle runs rough. Reapply normal throttle, transmission has shifted to 6th
5. Drive for 1-2 minutes with the MIL flashing, car running rough. PCM returns cylinder 6 to operation after 1-2 minutes and the car runs fine.

No DTC is ever actually set. P0306 is always pending after this happens. I don't think I have ever been able to duplicate this while the car is in normal mode. It seems to only happen in Sport. After the events above, I can go WOT again in normal mode and nothing happens but I can go WOT again in Sport and pretty reliably induce the fault.

I think if this was related to excess oil in the intercooler, it would happen in normal mode as well. The F150s intercooler discussed earlier in the thread caused misfires because the intercooler was too good. When you were cruising down the road in humid conditions, moisture from the incoming air would fall out in the intercooler and when you went WOT, that water would be blown into the intake and cause the misfires. While that could occur here, there shouldn't be any time for new moisture to accumulate during back to back WOT pulls.
That's exactly what happens on my Fusion Sport. At least one of the scenarios. My Fusion Sport pretty much has seen every scenario, either trans is non functional, bangs off the limiter, or shudders in OD but not lower gears. Only at WOT because the gunk in the intercooler probably gets sucked up. In normal driving, the gunk just builds/pools at the bottom. I've never had a DTC set. Only the CEL flashes. I may get a Ford Pass notification of a misfire or may not. But OBD Mode 6 data shows 30+ misfires for Cylinder #6. In a normal vehicle, I'd see 0-2 misfires at random cylinders.

The other scenarios is if it is cold, I'd go WOT or hard on the throttle then have to stop at a traffic light (merging onto busy road that's also fast) and it'd stall out. Another scenario is a long WOT run which results in excessive shuddering in 6th gear/OD for about 30 seconds unless I downshift to 5th or 4th where the shuddering goes away. I mentioned these to F-150 owners and many have experienced the same symptoms due to misfiring/gunk in the intercooler.

One time I did that WOT run test with the engine/everything fully warmed up (basically on my drive home) and it smelled like rotten eggs the entire way home and into the garage. It's the same smell you get when a GTDI car pulls out in front of you and opens the throttle to release a bunch of black smoke (Buick Regals, etc...) - gunk in the intercooler gets burned up.

When I drilled the weep hole, I got a bunch of oil coming out. The F-150s have moisture (a lot of it) coming out the weep hole along with oil, and their intercoolers are also like twice the volume of ours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did either of you have these problems when bone stock? Or have they only occurred AFTER the vehicle has been tuned, regardless of turbo configuration?

I spoke with an OEM powertrain calibrator and they suggested that combustion stability limits may have been raised and contributing to the issue. He gave me a list of other things to check, but they all looked good. While I can dissect a tune file to an extent with HP Tuners, Torrie and other tuners typically make it so that you cannot pull the tune file for comparison.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Gear wrench my car ran great stock with all my mods and stock turbos even had a E30 tune no problems , swapped to MKZ turbos and MKZ turbo tune and problem central , take the MKZ turbo tune out and car runs great again with 7 less pounds of boost

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like you need to get the turbos dialed in better, I,ve got a pair here for mine that I need to put on it, but after reading all the head aches about getting them dialed in, I,m gonna wait a bit longer, LOL. I,m sure I can get them working right, just gonna take some time and a lot of testing n tuning to get there.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Yes Unleashed Tune

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I take it that the overall consensus is to drill a 1/16 weep hole? Does it matter if intercooler CPE NL UP or If you have ACC.. I have CPE and no ACC.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What does Torrie have to say?
I am tuned by Torrie as well. When I first approached the topic with him earlier this year, he seemed to think it was a mechanical issue. After he suggested that, I did my coil/plug swapping and had the injector replaced. I have not contacted him since as I don't think it will go anywhere. I will say that overall I think that Torrie is a good tuner, but I have started tuning with another tuner to see if the issue can be resolved and prove my theory right.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
awdttv6 it should not matter on the intercooler stock or aftermarket , Bot rocket He (Torrie) just sent me a tune revision and I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So I pulled my OBD Mode 6 data last night and again zero misfires for all cylinders, but tonight I had to push my car hard a few times and had to stop somewhere to run errands. Now that I'm at home, I pulled the Mode 6 data and there were 4 misfire counts for Cylinder #6 in the last 10 drive cycles and 0-1 for the other cylinders. No real patterns for 1-5, just here and there. It's #6 that seems to have the most. I went to check the weep hole and there was a lot of oil coming out. The underbelly plastic tray is covered in oil and grit. I wipe off anything that comes through the vent holes but it's just catching a lot of oil.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Take a look at this, maybe old info. Just trying to help
Cylinder 6 Misfire

What I found interesting is that the P0306 indicates the 6th cylinder in the firing order, not necessarily the actual cylinder number 6.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am not, it's never set off a DTC. But if the CEL flashing is aggressive/long enough, it will cause FordPass to send me a notification I have a misfire condition.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I pulled my OBD Mode 6 data last night and again zero misfires for all cylinders, but tonight I had to push my car hard a few times and had to stop somewhere to run errands. Now that I'm at home, I pulled the Mode 6 data and there were 4 misfire counts for Cylinder #6 in the last 10 drive cycles and 0-1 for the other cylinders. No real patterns for 1-5, just here and there. It's #6 that seems to have the most. I went to check the weep hole and there was a lot of oil coming out. The underbelly plastic tray is covered in oil and grit. I wipe off anything that comes through the vent holes but it's just catching a lot of oil.
Don’t get too hung up on mode 6. Combustion is a wild process and will never be 100% successful. Most cars in the road will show some misfires in mode 6. Misfires in the single digits aren’t anything to worry about. I have had to talk many techs off the ledge when it comes to mode 6. Take it with a grain of salt.

Take a look at this, maybe old info. Just trying to help
Cylinder 6 Misfire

What I found interesting is that the P0306 indicates the 6th cylinder in the firing order, not necessarily the actual cylinder number 6.
This is not accurate. P0306 sets when there is a cylinder 6 misfire. It’s not the 6th cylinder in the firing order. If you go and disconnect your #6 coil, you’ll set a P0306. I guarantee it. Even if it were true, #6 is the 6th cylinder in the firing order if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good to know. Sorry for the wrong info.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keep this in mind, everything cylinder related starts out as P0301, as in cylinder 1, then from there goes up as the cylinder count goes up. so if you had, say a 6.8 V-10 and pulled no 10 plug, you would get a P0310 code. pretty easy to remember.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts