Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Could be a injector issue, wasn't there some cases of bad injectors ?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
But what I'm more curious about is why cylinder #6 is more prone to misfire with or without methanol. Might have something to do with the flow dynamics in that intake manifold causing liquids to pool near the #6 port??
This was my next thought. Got a bore scope?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was told cylinders 6 & 3 are prone to carbon buildup. My first experience with misfires on 6 & 3 was at 68k and we replaced spark plugs. Then around 77k it was losing mpg, felt down on power again but not throwing codes. Still suspicious of misfires we moved plugs and coils around but couldn’t trace it. Then around 79k it started to stumble and stall if taking a hard left turn from speed - going from lots of throttle, jumping off the gas and hard on brakes, then jumping hard throttle again. This time it threw lifts and misfire codes. Did a scope and decided to go with the Wynns GDI Fuel System flush which cleared up the problem. When it cropped up again at 103k, we tried the GDI flush but while it seemed to help it didn’t alleviate the problem the way it had previously. I spent hours moving plugs and coils around, swapping plugs and coils for aftermarket then moving them all around...you know how it ended. Fixed the misfire with new Ford plugs at factory gap but never really figured out what the causes are.

Reactions: metroplex

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Just cleaned the Catch can out as a precaution almost nothing in it , car is on the lift at work gonna drill the intercooler in a few seconds , Yes I have a bore scope , also I have tried 3 sets of ford plugs at different gaps still same problem only on wot , if I pedal the car there is no miss fire , my car has 24k miles on it

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There was a 5th injector mod on the GM LNF 2.0 GTDI but the meth should be cleaning the valves. I think cyl 3 and 6 are at the opposite end of the throttle body so oil and gunk pools onto that side

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just cleaned the Catch can out as a precaution almost nothing in it , car is on the lift at work gonna drill the intercooler in a few seconds , Yes I have a bore scope , also I have tried 3 sets of ford plugs at different gaps still same problem only on wot , if I pedal the car there is no miss fire
The stock valve covers have these bump outs for the PCV and cleanside which i suspect contain a series of channels inside that separate the oil as much as possible. I never could get much if any oil from my 3.5 EcoBoost even though lots of oil would come out of the turbos

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
This problem only started after the MKZ turbo install , maybe I got a bad turbo , we will see when I drill the intercooler and what comes out of it .

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have not check that yet but I will while the car is on the lift

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ford incorrectly installed the hose clamp at the throttle body on my dad's Fusion Sport (it was installed ****-eyed and not behind the raised lip) so I pulled it and re-installed. The inside of his hose was completely bone dry as was his throttle body and intake manifold. On mine, it was fairly soaked with engine oil inside the hose, at the TB plate, and inside the intake manifold. His Fusion did not have any misfires and has just a few thousand miles less than mine.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Update here are a few pics of the weep hole in my Intercooler
20201116_120841.jpg oil.jpg
20201116_120501.jpg cooler.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had same with oil in my TB & hose...

My misfire problem got solved by a GDI flush before the MKZ turbos, then couldn’t be solved by a flush after the install. Are they connected? Idk. But any spark issues I already had sure got aggravated by the bigger turbos. My mechanic says the later models with the extra port injector don’t have the problems with buildup in 3 & 6. Tells me Ford made that change specifically to address it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
My TB is dry I think the methanol is cleaning it out

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The Intercooler weep hole was a step in the right direction , now the car only has a miss fire on the 1/2 shift , 3rd gear just pulls hard now no more miss fire ?

Reactions: metroplex

·
Registered
352 Posts
These cars are like having a crazy hot girlfriend. You never know why it’s going nuts on you, and when it acts normal you don’t know how you got there.

Reactions: maydk65

·
Registered
430 Posts
These cars are like having a crazy hot girlfriend. You never know why it’s going nuts on you, and when it acts normal you don’t know how you got there.
Hi Shawnski. Well, here is a related/fun analogy...Sometimes that happens when you keep trying to modify your already hot girlfriend by forcing her to get a boob job, a butt lift, a nose job, dye her hair and force her to go on crazy diets etc., instead of being happy the way she is. ;)

Not judging, just a joke gang. I used to modify my cars too (but not my girlfriends). However, it was back when cars were simpler and not so computerized. Much tougher to modify correctly now.

Good luck!

Reactions: maydk65

·
Registered
352 Posts
LOL!! It’s hard to argue with your point there bbf2530!! Well said!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Shawnski. Well, here is a related/fun analogy...Sometimes that happens when you keep trying to modify your already hot girlfriend by forcing her to get a boob job, a butt lift, a nose job, dye her hair and force her to go on crazy diets etc., instead of being happy the way she is. ;)

Not judging, just a joke gang. I used to modify my cars too (but not my girlfriends). However, it was back when cars were simpler and not so computerized. Much tougher to modify correctly now.

Good luck!
Not really harder, just takes more knowledge, but the results are way better. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my car after the MKZ turbo swap. I don't have methanol, but I get occasional high RPM misfires, only on cylinder 6. I seem to be able to duplicate the issue most easily when in Sport mode and going WOT around 60 MPH. If I go WOT around 60 MPH in Sport mode, the car will downshift, run through the RPMs, go to shift up, but downshift instead and bounce itself off the limiter. Once it does this, the MIL flashes, cylinder 6 is deactivated, and the car runs like crap for a minute or two until the PCM starts firing #6 again. You can't really feel the misfire until the MIL starts to flash, but car does feel down on power a bit until it bangs off the limiter. I have tried swapping plugs and coils between cylinders to see if the misfire follows and it doesn't. I also had the dealer replace the #6 injector under warranty and it didn't change anything. I gapped the plugs down to .024 incase there was spark blowout but that didn't resolve it either.

I don't think this is a mechanical issue, I can easily replicate it multiple times in a row and it seems to only happen in Sport mode. The car also runs perfectly until this happens and I think a mechanical concern would be present under different conditions. I think this might be related to the calibration used for the MKZ turbos. I suspect that something somewhere is not quite right and causing unstable combustion or improper trans shifting in Sport mode.

61 - 80 of 145 Posts