Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

221 - 240 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dumb question: is this something the dealer can do?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yes, the dealership would be using Ford IDS with a VCM2 or VCM3. The independent shops can use the same setup or FJDS with a VCM2/VCM3 or SAE J2534-pass through. IDS is the better package because it has a lot of the diagnostics that are missing from FJDS but the license is a lot more expensive and the VCM2/VCM3 hardware is expensive. I forgot how long it took to flash the PCM, but I heard there are issues with FORScan beta at the moment so I'm going to stick with FJDS and my pass-thru device when the time is right. I updated the IPC on my Fusion and it took quite a long time. I was trying to see if it would fix the fuel gauge issue, but I think the problem is still there but doesn't swing as much as before. My main goal was to fix the window issue with the DDM/PDM.

This is just a theory of mine that the 2019 strategy might help resolve the misfires, there's no guarantee at the moment. Also, chances are if you flash to the 2019 strategy you may need to get a new tune made if you are using an aftermarket tune.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
I have been doing a lot or reading lately and have found a bunch of issues with the 2017 f150 2.7 ecoboost catalyst causing misfire codes , also reloaded my tune this morning with same results ....

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Weren't the F-150 owners having issues because of bad injectors which resulted in catalyst issues? That's what I found from reading thread after thread of the Gen 2 2.7 issues. Like injector #6 was bad, etc... I haven't had any catalyst codes or issues.

You might have mentioned this earlier, but do you have these issues with the stock factory tune?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bad injector would cause cat issues for sure, I know they had issues with cats on the early 3.5's. I have two customers that both have F 150's with cat issues. We clear them and they come back, they know what needs to be done, just dont feel like spending the money. the 11 has close to 300,000 on it, and his kids is pushing 180,000 last time it was in for something. I replaced all his dad's about three years ago, which fixed that issue, but the cats are still throwing the efich code. My Sport definately has a injector issue, but it wont throw a miss code. I put the scanner on it this week and it wont even show a miss even thought it's obviously missing, go figure.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Here are a
20201226_112201_resized.jpg
20201226_112216_resized.jpg
20201226_112239_resized.jpg
20201226_112402_resized.jpg
few pics of my last data log

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Bad injector would cause cat issues for sure, I know they had issues with cats on the early 3.5's. I have two customers that both have F 150's with cat issues. We clear them and they come back, they know what needs to be done, just dont feel like spending the money. the 11 has close to 300,000 on it, and his kids is pushing 180,000 last time it was in for something. I replaced all his dad's about three years ago, which fixed that issue, but the cats are still throwing the efich code. My Sport definately has a injector issue, but it wont throw a miss code. I put the scanner on it this week and it wont even show a miss even thought it's obviously missing, go figure.
What did the Mode 6 misfire data show?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
I have not done a mode 6 test since I installed new plugs and coil packs

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ok, shoot me, but what the hell is a " Mode 6 misfire test " ? LOL, What I used was our Snap on solus ultra. I go into Engine Data, then to Misfire data. Gives me all the cylinders in order, and list real time miss as well as miss history. I expected to see some misses, but had none in either. Back to the mode 6 test, I,m sure that's just a different term for the same thing we,ve been doing for years. But that's how we find the issue most of the time when were chasing a random miss. At that point it could be a coil, plug or injector, or worse a mechanical problem. What I need to do is put our IDS on it, and do a cylinder contribution test and see what that shows. Big thing with a cylinder con test is it will show a miss for anything, electrical or mechanical.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
With Forscan the OBD Mode 6 shows a bunch of stuff including misfire for each cylinder for the past 10 drive cycles as well as prev drive cycle. It’s supposed to be a generic universal set of data PIDs defined for OBD2. If you aren’t seeing any misfire counts it should be fine

·
Registered
208 Posts
Oh that sounds cool, I ordered a OBD link EX tonight with the OBD wiz soft wear, should have that next week. What I have noticed is if I start it and let idle in the morning, after about 5 minutes it's fine and has no miss at all when you first step on the peddle. I,m just gonna run with it, keep an eye on the coolant level in the degas bottle. If it gets worse I go ahead and change the injectors since I have them here in front of me. More an issue if I want to go in on a Saturday morning or just wait till it gets warm again. I can do them here at home easy enough, book says 3.5 hours. That means I can do them in two, LOL

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
So I reinstalled the stock tune and the car works great no issues but I loose 7 psi boost , still the car is no slouch with 14 psi boost
livewire pull.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Interesting, also that it will run that good with the mods you have going on a stock tune.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
that is what has me puzzled as well

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The 2.7 has been a chore to tune properly. The Gen 3.5 EB in the SHO was practically fire and forget once everything was figured out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
And here I thought 28 was getting tight, LOL. my second car was a 1978 Monza with an old Iron Duke 2.5 L-4, I put a set of plugs in it, and they were gapped at 60 thousandths, LOL. Of coarse were comparing apples to oranges considering the tech we deal with today.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
28 was the tightest I have tried

·
Registered
406 Posts
I tried .27 and .26 ended up back at stock.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What were your findings at 0.027 and 0.026? What was your stock setting? My stock plugs I think were all around 0.028"

There aren't any colder plugs available, we're running the colder plugs from the factory. The Focus RS is 1 heat range hotter (same dimensions/spec plugs as ours). The Ford GT even uses the same spark plugs.

221 - 240 of 291 Posts