Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished my MKZ turbo swap and installed new plugs 3days ago , now my FFS is having a miss fire on the 1/2 shift and 3/4 shift under full throttle pulls , there is no CEL and car runs great in all other areas of driving , I made sure to gap plugs at 28 my Methanol settings are the same settings as before the MKZ turbo swap , I am sure that it is methanol related but have been unable to track it down ....

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had 4 Tune revisions and still the same issue , if I roll into the throttle there is no miss fire problem ?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just fixed without solving the cause of a high rpm misfire that’s plagued me for months. It kind of coincided with my MKZ turbo swap last winter. Perceptibly poorer running I attributed to winter blend fuel as previously experienced. Then I lost my job to COVID in April so my driving miles went to nearly zero. Then the racing season was delayed until June. Had great improvements year-over-year after the turbo swap but had a nagging misfire issue just like yours that also was aggravated by a transmission shifting issue (2-3 shift slurring or delaying). I’m on Livernois tune, 93 gasoline only. After tracking down the transmission problem to a leak resulting in low fluid levels, I replaced original coils and stock plugs with MSD and NGK. Then switched back to used, but cleaned and re-gapped stock plugs, then pulled all coils and plugs to methodically move them around and persistently got misfire on 3 & 6 and general misfire codes. Eventually CEL on continuously. Finally had to return to Ford Stock so the dealership could do in car monitoring. My mechanic drove 69 miles of monitoring, checked every single thing that could be checked. Not a thing out of whack but the spark. Then he put in a brand new set of stock Ford plugs, gapped to factory spec, plugged in the MSD coils, and poof no misfire. That was last Monday & Tuesday. I have not reloaded the car to Livernois tune yet. But Ford stock with all my other mods it still runs very strong. No way to test it with my local track closed. But no misfire for the first time since August. Clearly it did not like the NGKs. And evidently the old Ford plugs with 35,000 miles on them weren’t cutting it either. My mechanic and service manager are completely involved with my build and neither of them had any clue what was actually causing the misfire. It seems like my car eats plugs. This is the third set of Ford plugs, excluding the NGKs that were in for 7500 miles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe return your tune to Ford stock, then reload the performance tune? Like when the guy in I.T. tells you to turn your computer off, then on to solve a problem? Seems like that’s what worked for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My plan is to re gap the ford plugs and reload the tune today and try again ..Yes stock MKZ turbos

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Yeah, they come on " stock " Lincoln MKZ's and Continentals, plus a few Explore's for good measure. :)
I meant are the turbos in stock form as found on the mkz, or have they been upgraded?

Also, Explorers? I know the continental shares the mkz turbos, but I would think the new rwd platform on the Explorer would use a different turbo like how the 3.5 in the f150 uses a different turbo than the 3.5 in the transverse platform vehicles. That'd be cool if the ST turbo fit our car. I'm guessing that would make them far more available in the near future.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MKZ turbos are in stock form no upgrades, finished plugs but I do not like the rough idle I have now so my plans are to install new plugs this weekend and try again

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Hmm. I was thinking maybe boost spikes might blow the spark out between shifts if the tune keeps the throttle open, but I doubt stock 3.0 turbos have what it takes to do that. It could also cause fueling issues, but that all hinges on it being a tune that keeps the throttle open between shifts. Long shot, but...

·
Registered
335 Posts
So I reloaded the Livernois tune yesterday starting from “Ford stock” and several unwelcome things happened. The idle roughened noticeably (!?) The transmission began stretching out the shifts again (!!??) The power transfer between front & rear became sudden and harsh (!!!???) All this under mild driving. Thinking way back to when I installed the tune for the very first time, there was a period where the transmission and PTU functions seemed to be learning the new parameters. I also remember an email or something in the paperwork from Livernois about how the tune would initially make the shifts very harsh but would smooth out with use. I had my wife & mother in the car (yeah, I know right?) so I couldn’t make any hard blasts but I’ll get a chance over the weekend and following days to see if the high rpm miss returns with the rough idle.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just installed some fresh E30 fuel , going to make a data log pass and see what Torrie thinks before I do anything else

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Did you try drilling a weep hole in your intercooler? I'm about to do that today on my Fusion Sport to diagnose a misfire on cylinder 6. Since it works for the F-150 owners, I'll give it a try on the Fusion Sport. The 2.7 is the same engine as the truck engine (99.9%).

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am interested in this tell me more ?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
There is a large number of F150 EcoBoost owners experience a shudder that is from misfiring due to condensation and gunk buildup in the intercooler/CAC. If you do a search for F150 EcoBoost weep hole you will find a large number of posts.

I think the early F150 EcoBoost trucks got a fix from Ford that consisted of a software update and a shield that blocks part of the Intercooler.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just to throw this out there. I have a very similar setup. Had misfiring at the top of third. I ended up switching tunes but what I think was happening is combustion quench. Im using a #6? I think nozzle and have the snow stage 2. I had it set at like 6psi initial and 12psi full. The car ran a ton better when I changed it to.... initial 12psi, full at 30psi (which doesn't happen obviously). So it only sprays at 40%? Or whatever the initial stage is (im going off the snow perf gauge the initial bars make it look like a 30-40% of max)

I have the same drastic decrease in temps as I did before and I use a lot less methanol overall. Havent read through the whole thread yet but toss me a PM bc I've heard of this happening several times after tune w meth inj

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Unrelated to meth injection but after drilling the hole, my fuel economy histogram shows better fuel economy. Power delivery feels more consistent and smoother. I plan to check the mode 6 misfire data after a few more days to give it time to clear out any gunk.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you drill and plug it or just drill a small enough hole that you weren't worried about it? I remember hearing guys doing both, either drilling a small hole or drilling something they could unplug and drain every now and again.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I used a 1/16" bit and left it unplugged/open. A screw/plug or a drain petcock is a good idea but you'd have to remember to open it or create an access port to access the plug/drain. So far after a few days of driving, the drain hole area is wet but nothing is dripping out onto the driveway.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I thought about doing it to my UP FMIC, twice I've had a no code limp mode on the highway out of the blue, but both times were same conditions, cruising about 70 for extended period of time, lightly hit gas to speed up to 75 and as soon as i hit the gas it did no code limp mode, pulled over, turned off and on and it was like nothing ever happened. While chasing that down I found a thread of a few guys with f150s that had the exact same condition limp mode which they said fixed with a weep hole. I only had it happen twice and a long time since but definitely was considering it. I just didn't know if I'd do like you did, 1/16" and forget it, or like an 1/8" and try to piss with w a plug. I think reading through yours and giving it some thought I'd just do the 1/16th and be done with it

1 - 20 of 114 Posts