Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
561 - 576 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I thought the F 150 guys were, reason they started drilling 1/16th inch holes in the I/C's

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Gen 1 F-150s mainly had the intercooler issue. I haven't heard too many misfire complaints from Gen 2. The Gen 2 F-150s run different ignition dwell times. The Gen 2 F-150 2.7 has the same dwell times as the Edge Sport and Edge ST, which ruled out the dual PDFI requiring it since the Edge has the same DI-only setup as our Fusion Sport. And the Edge ST's made after December 2018 have different coil packs, so that ruled out new coil packs requiring a new dwell timing setup since the Edge Sport has the same coil packs as us. I loaded up the new tables and will observe.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
208 Posts
Can Torrie can tune for the XDI? I asked XDI awhile ago and they said only their dealers can provide tunes. I was thinking of retrofitting the Explorer ST 3.0 pump before looking at XDI, if I wanted to go down the route of a bigger HPFP.
He most certainly can, in fact he sells them too.
Xtreme DI High Pressure Fuel Pump - Unleashed Tuning

@Shawnski the install for the pump is two hours at best.
XDI-HPFP35 Installation on Fusion Sport 2.7TT - YouTube

I'm running an E40 tune from Torrie and it seems to be fine with the stock pump, but any higher ethanol and the XDI would be the next step.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Just a question though, guys. It's showing up as misfires, not knock. If you were fuel-starved at combustion time, wouldn't that show up as knock, if anything? I was actually thinking the other way, in other words too much fuel, rather than not enough. That also seems to me to make more sense with what @metroplex mentioned about the order of the fueling delivery.

I'm no expert on that, just wanted to mention it.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
He most certainly can, in fact he sells them too.
Xtreme DI High Pressure Fuel Pump - Unleashed Tuning

@Shawnski the install for the pump is two hours at best.
XDI-HPFP35 Installation on Fusion Sport 2.7TT - YouTube

I'm running an E40 tune from Torrie and it seems to be fine with the stock pump, but any higher ethanol and the XDI would be the next step.
I'm running 73%-75% ethanol on the stock pump with my tune and full boost/air mass flow. There's zero need for a XDI. The only reason to run a XDI on our Fusion Sports is if you're planning on using much bigger turbos with a lot of ethanol, and even then I am not sure you'd need a XDI. I'd have to sit down and do the math on the stock pump flow. These stock HPFPs flow a lot more than the gen 1 on the SHO which basically maxes out at anything over E30 with the stock turbos maxed out and those turbos flowed a lot more than ours.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
208 Posts
I'm running 73%-75% ethanol on the stock pump with my tune and full boost/air mass flow. There's zero need for a XDI. The only reason to run a XDI on our Fusion Sports is if you're planning on using much bigger turbos with a lot of ethanol, and even then I am not sure you'd need a XDI. I'd have to sit down and do the math on the stock pump flow. These stock HPFPs flow a lot more than the gen 1 on the SHO which basically maxes out at anything over E30 with the stock turbos maxed out and those turbos flowed a lot more than ours.
Maybe altitude has something to do with it. Just repeating what Torrie stated.

Reactions: metroplex

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It finally stopped raining (We had 22 days of rain in the last 30 days) so I could do some testing with the lower coil dwell settings. IMHO there's no change in the # of misfires. During a cold start and idling, there were about 22 counts of misfires between cylinders 1-6. During WOT testing, the misfires only came about when the throttle plate was being modulated to control boost. I saw a handful of misfires on cylinders 4 and 6 which is about what I've seen in the past with straight gas etc... No rhyme or reason as to why these misfires occur. There's not enough to set off a DTC or even a pending. Before the weep hole, I actually ran into an instance of a pending DTC and even stalling out coming to a stop.

·
Registered
706 Posts
We could be dealing with a crank sensor issue, but not sure how drilling a weep hole in the I/C would effect miss count.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I was looking over my logs again and noticed that whenever IAT2/MCT rises, the misfire count increases as well. So there's a good possibility it's not related to the throttle plate closing/opening. I was thinking that over hard and couldn't explain why the throttle would cause this - as I've had situations where the throttle was fully closed with manifold vacuum without misfires (my hypothesis was the oil vapors from the PCV) but that was debunked.

On my graphs as soon as MCT/IAT2 starts to climb (from being under boost), the misfire count starts to increase. I can cruise for miles and miles without any problems. I also see about 10-20 misfires after a cold start.

I thought about the crank sensor issue as well, but the CKP and CMP/CPS are sync'd according to FORScan and I did the crank relearn procedure with FORScan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I finished my MKZ turbo swap and installed new plugs 3days ago , now my FFS is having a miss fire on the 1/2 shift and 3/4 shift under full throttle pulls , there is no CEL and car runs great in all other areas of driving , I made sure to gap plugs at 28 my Methanol settings are the same settings as before the MKZ turbo swap , I am sure that it is methanol related but have been unable to track it down ....
I had similar issues as well with mkz turbos but was running e40 blend vs your wmi set up. First thing I did was try to log the anomaly by trying to re-create the problem and logging it and sending back to the tuner to see if they see anything unusual. I also regapped my plugs to .026 in hopes that it wasn’t blow by. I didn’t get the log as it never happened again after that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So this is the plug from Cylinder 6. Looks super clean. No carbon tracking on the ceramic. Insulator looks clean as can be as well. However the gap opened up. This is with less than 1000 miles. Was originally gapped to just under 0.028" and now it was over 0.032" Seems kind of odd for it to open up that much unless it was memory in the ground electrode. I reduced the gap and will give it a try again.

Ruthenium.JPG

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Tightening the gap did nothing. I can still see the misfire count spiking up on Cylinder 6 whenever I am WOT under full boost and the MCT/IAT2 starts to climb. The few misfires I see in normal driving/idling is about the same those I find on my N/A 3.5 in the Explorer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
@metroplex, I am curious about the misfires. Can you feel the misfires when they happen or is it just indicated on your monitoring equipment? The reason I'm asking is I have said in the past that I do not have misfires, but if I have them and not feeling them, maybe I should start logging to monitor for it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
These are not felt at all. The car runs great. I am logging Misfires since last key on (it's a PID in HPTuners) and checking the Mode 6 data with FORScan which tells me how many misfires on which cylinders. I will say that once the Mode 6 misfire count gets really high and really quickly, like say 100+ misfires within a few minutes, it will set off a pending DTC for the misfire for that cylinder.

I have never logged/monitored these on my SHO so it could very well have done the same thing butI may not have realized it.

It only occurs during WOT under boost where the intercooler charge temp starts to increase. Otherwise in normal driving everything is fine and I'll maybe log 5-20 misfires randomly that seem to be found in my Explorer as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Then I guess I should not go around saying I don't have misfires. I can only say that if I am having misfires, they are not bad enough to cause error codes to be initiated.

561 - 576 of 576 Posts