Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
541 - 560 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Do a google search for Ford EcoBoost weep hole. It goes on the discharge side of the intercooler so yes the passenger side on our Fusion Sports (driver side for F-150). It goes back years and years to pretty much when the F-150 first offered the EcoBoost engine. It's a 1/16" hole. Not enough of a leak for a boost issue. All kinds of stuff comes out of that weep hole. A JLT or Tracy Lewis catch can system won't catch this stuff because it comes out of the turbochargers and the moisture condenses from the atmospheric air being compressed and cooled.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do a google search for Ford EcoBoost weep hole. It goes on the discharge side of the intercooler so yes the passenger side on our Fusion Sports (driver side for F-150). It goes back years and years to pretty much when the F-150 first offered the EcoBoost engine. It's a 1/16" hole. Not enough of a leak for a boost issue. All kinds of stuff comes out of that weep hole. A JLT or Tracy Lewis catch can system won't catch this stuff because it comes out of the turbochargers and the moisture condenses from the atmospheric air being compressed and cooled.
It blows my mind that I need to drill my $900 FMIC to stop misfiring in high RPM under WOT. Why wasn't I experiencing this misfire situation with the factory FMIC or why didn't I need to have a weep hole in the factory FMIC? I'm not doubting the effectiveness of it as there has been ton of people who did this and worked for them.

Last thing I want is to be leaking oil from the FMIC at every spot I park in. I'll try everything else and make this as a last resort, there's no way this is the answer right now lol fresh FMIC install and a tune flash resulted in misfire high RPM.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I never said or recommended people with aftermarket intercoolers should try to do the weep hole. I have the stock intercooler so I figured why not drill the weep hole. Volvo has used a weep hole from the factory on some of their turbo applications so this isn't some new fad. I haven't spotted any oil dripping onto the ground. It just sticks to the lower air dam tray.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I never said or recommended people with aftermarket intercoolers should try to do the weep hole
I know you didn't, relax I'm not suing :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you are letting your fuel sit for a long time, you could have water/condensation developing. Might be a good idea to add a bottle of Heet to the tank. Can't hurt

·
Registered
645 Posts
No hole in my FMIC. I do have a catch can.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have both and no spots from the weep hole, ever.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just an update: I've been logging # of misfires since last start in HPTuners, and will see that most of the misfires occur during a WOT romp or immediately after. Pulling mode 6 data after the drive, it's almost always with cylinder 6 and some on cyl 3. I think cyl 3 (and any others) are less in number and only after a cold start. The bulk of misfires is from cyl 6, only under full boost/WOT. However I don't feel it during the WOT operation. I average maybe 60-80 misfires for cyl 6.

Edit: Also wanted to add that under boost with the throttle open, nothing happens. It's only when the throttle plate is shown to close a bit to regulate boost that the misfires start to accumulate.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I’ve been talking about this with my mechanic, who took my car through a day and a half of swapping coils and plugs and 46 miles of test driving, and he has started to become more and more convinced it’s a fuel delivery issue. He says the #6 is at the end of the fuel rail and he feels it’s getting starved of just enough fuel to trigger these misfires. My run at the track this season after switching tunes, my car literally fell flat on its face, nearly stalled, mid-track then picked back up to finish. It threw the ol’ P0306 code. It was exactly like running out of gas under load back in the carbureted days when debris in a fuel filter would suck to the screen and blind it. I’ve not made any data logs to send to Torrie yet but I’m sure hoping that’s what the issue is (at least with my car).

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That's an interesting perspective. I know many other EcoBoost owners that have played with plugs and coils without any solid results.
Are you running higher HPFP pressure to compensate by any chance?

I observed that the misfires only start when the throttle plate starts to close a bit to regulate boost. If the throttle stays open everything is fine, even under full boost/full air mass flow/etc...

·
Registered
756 Posts
“I observed that the misfires only start when the throttle plate starts to close a bit to regulate boost. If the throttle stays open everything is fine, even under full boost/full air mass flow/etc...”
Now that’s very interesting! My experience has been noticeable misfires occur during spirited street driving when I’m off/on the throttle hard, and at the track when it’s shifting (which originally felt like the trans was slipping!) I know the engine management is dumping boost between shifts because I can hear my VTA BOV “pssttt” every shift on videos.
I don’t have a HPFP but I have been leaning that way with my mechanics opinion weighing heavy on my mind.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Is your tune allowing or requesting more HPFP pressure? Reason I ask is stock setting is 2100 psi, and these pumps should be able to go as high as 2900. I've been running 2100 even with E73-E75 full boost and the pressure looks good. I don't see a need for a XDI pump needs I go with bigger turbos

·
Registered
756 Posts
I just switched to Unleashed tune this season and I haven’t data logged yet. I’ve got to get on that! I’d like to avoid the four-figure price tag and full day of labor to install an XDI.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Can Torrie can tune for the XDI? I asked XDI awhile ago and they said only their dealers can provide tunes. I was thinking of retrofitting the Explorer ST 3.0 pump before looking at XDI, if I wanted to go down the route of a bigger HPFP.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
One of my theories (not based on anything concrete at the moment) is to do with the flow dynamics in the intake manifold. Cylinders 3 and 6 are farthest from the throttle body. So if the misfires are due to the plate closing/partially closing it could be disturbing the flow of air or somehow causing any PCV/oil droplets to pool in the back, maybe more with Cyl 6 since it is slightly lower (in terms of gravity/height). Again, nothing quantitative - it was always a thought in the back of my mind on why Cyl 6 was the most problematic.

On really humid and cold days, cyl 4 and 5 have been known to show me misfires. Cyl 1 and 2 rarely if ever act up. Cyl 6 is the hugest culprit. And swapping coil packs yielded no real changes.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Your theory tracks closely to what my mechanic and service manager have been talking about. There’s been an ongoing discussion about what’s really happening inside the fuel/air/spark pathway and it seems to keep coming back to uneven or irregular flow of air and/or fuel due to the design of the system. I’ve said before that our intake manifolds look like the backside of a lego block and I’ve long wondered why apparently zero effort was made to provide for efficient airflow. I’ve been told it didn’t matter because of the forced induction essentially flooding the zone with air but I’ve never been happy with that answer. You drive part-throttle/boost, what? more than 95% of the time? Efficient airflow always matters in my mind.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Can Torrie can tune for the XDI? I asked XDI awhile ago and they said only their dealers can provide tunes. I was thinking of retrofitting the Explorer ST 3.0 pump before looking at XDI, if I wanted to go down the route of a bigger HPFP.
I do not know, but I’m going to find out.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I looked at the fuel rail layout on our 2.7 and Cylinder #3 is the "first" in line for fuel immediately downstream of the HPFP. There's a bypass line connecting the other bank so Cylinder 6 is the very "next" cylinder to get fuel. If anything Cylinders 1 and 4 are at the very "end".

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'm wondering if this is related to ignition coil dwell times. We have the same coil packs as the 15-17 F-150 2.7L, pre 4 DEC 2018 Edge 2.7, MKZ/Continental 3.0 etc... (DG-555) And the newer Edge 2.7, Explorer ST, etc... have DG-583 packs instead of DG-555.

but the Edge Sport and Edge ST/Explorer ST/18-up F-150s run lower dwell times. I've read online that too short of a dwell can result in misfires all the time but under load, too much dwell can result in misfires as well. Our stock dwell times are higher than the other vehicles listed.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That’s what was nagging at my mind; why aren’t others (Edge, F150) having this problem?

541 - 560 of 576 Posts