Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

401 - 420 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
400 bucks, 300 for the MPVI2 and a 100 for two credits. Thats really not bad at all, I have about 700 in my Cobb stuff I have on my 13 2.0. Had I known about HP Tuners back when I bout it, I would have never went with Cobb.
I spent something like $600+ for SCT Pro Racer Package back in 2003 for tuning my Fords. But SCT wants $100+ for database access for your particular vehicle and then $400+ for each tuning device that is VIN locked to your vehicle. So basically you're looking at $500+ for each additional vehicle.

Then I spent about $600+ for my MPVI Pro and it came with 8 GM credits, and I got that setup in 2013 to tune the Cobalt SS Turbo. HPTuners started supporting Ford around 2015, so I got credits for my 07 Mustang GT which I had been tuning using SCT. and Found HPTuners to be much more intuitive... So long as HPTuners unlocks all of the parameters. If your Fusion Sport OS strategy code is NGXHxxx all of the parameters should be unlocked by now. I requested the same for NGXJxxx and it was unlocked for my dad's PCM to match the NGXHxxx OS's. So if you have either NGXHxxx or NGXJxxx you should be good to go with HPTuners. It wasn't easy though, in 2018 some of the important parameters weren't unlocked until later in the year or mid 2019. Since I had so many GM credits left over, I was tuning a friend's Malibu LTZ w/ the LTG and Grand Am GT1.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, and we should be happy that most all the Ford's only take two credits, some of the other platforms take eight. One thing I dont get is why they're charging extra for the TCM when they look just like the same ECM in a Fusion. I could see if you had two different controllers, I must be missing something I guess.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Well, and we should be happy that most all the Ford's only take two credits, some of the other platforms take eight. One thing I dont get is why they're charging extra for the TCM when they look just like the same ECM in a Fusion. I could see if you had two different controllers, I must be missing something I guess.
They increased the credit rate because it was kind of introductory to try and get enough demand for HPTuners early on and now they are trying to make more money.

The 2019-up Fords now take 4 credits (like the Explorer ST / Ranger). When I tuned the Malibu LTZ w/ LTG, it has a separate TCM and ECM but only took 2 credits.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Some of that I,m sure is because of the changes Ford made with the ECM's, I,ve heard they really ramped up the security and made it harder for tuners to break into them. I would think HP has some good engineers that can deal with it though.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Some of that I,m sure is because of the changes Ford made with the ECM's, I,ve heard they really ramped up the security and made it harder for tuners to break into them. I would think HP has some good engineers that can deal with it though.
They said they were upping security so unauthorized parties had a harder time, but that they were also working with aftermarket tuners so people could still tune their cars.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I’m in the market for a new tuner too.
What I’d really like to know is anybody having problems with Unleashed tune while NOT running methanol or some E ratio? I’m gasoline only with no plans for methanol or E30.
All, and I mean every single one, of the tuned street-tire Mustangs who are regulars at my track are on Unleashed, with several who converted from Livernois. All are on gasoline only, including 2.3EB guys.
Odds are I will not tune it myself, and I’ve seen some really adamant opponents of James on other turbo car forums. I know every tuner eventually makes enemies, but the anger and recrimination against him is somewhat shocking.
I have been running Unleashed 93 Octane for about a year. Started with no mods, then made several upgrades over time, told Torie what the changes were, data logged and he updated the tune. I have had no problems. I am waiting for the track to open up for further testing and datalogging.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
486 Posts
It’s frustrating that when my car is on OE Ford stock tune, it has no noticeable misfires or CELs. It’s definitely still very strong with the mods, even in stock tune. I’m still waiting for some decent weather to do a few Dragy tests.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
144 Posts
I spent something like $600+ for SCT Pro Racer Package back in 2003 for tuning my Fords. But SCT wants $100+ for database access for your particular vehicle and then $400+ for each tuning device that is VIN locked to your vehicle. So basically you're looking at $500+ for each additional vehicle.

Then I spent about $600+ for my MPVI Pro and it came with 8 GM credits, and I got that setup in 2013 to tune the Cobalt SS Turbo. HPTuners started supporting Ford around 2015, so I got credits for my 07 Mustang GT which I had been tuning using SCT. and Found HPTuners to be much more intuitive... So long as HPTuners unlocks all of the parameters. If your Fusion Sport OS strategy code is NGXHxxx all of the parameters should be unlocked by now. I requested the same for NGXJxxx and it was unlocked for my dad's PCM to match the NGXHxxx OS's. So if you have either NGXHxxx or NGXJxxx you should be good to go with HPTuners. It wasn't easy though, in 2018 some of the important parameters weren't unlocked until later in the year or mid 2019. Since I had so many GM credits left over, I was tuning a friend's Malibu LTZ w/ the LTG and Grand Am GT1.
Some of these tunes seem a little expensive. I could afford a tune but I have a 2019 FFS and I have had oil pan issues that seem to be good now. I am concerned if I got a tune only that if my oil pan started to leak again that Ford would not cover the oil pan replacement. Does a tune on its own make a noticeable difference in the performance of the car? I am not exactly a mechanic or a computer person, I believe a tune is just loading software but since I have not done it I am apprehensive. It is like anything if you have not done it it seems harder than it is.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #410 (Edited)
For my car the tune made the biggest difference out of all the mods I have so far , install was very easy took about 10 minutes to load thru the Data link connector with the tuner doing all the work and only pressing a few buttons ...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The crankcase shouldn't be pressurized by the turbo boost. There is a PID to monitor this in Forscan but the brown PCV was designed to shut under boost. The black PCV has a designed leak for some reason only Ford knows. The naturally aspirated brown and gray PCVs don't fully seal. If there was significant pressurization of the crankcase the dipstick would be shooting out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It will also push oil out all over the place, :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It will also push oil out all over the place, :)
That's true! The 11-14 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost uses the black EV-289 PCV which doesn't fully seal under boost. But that's where the cleanside port comes into play so the turbo suction can still pull some of the "boost" from the crankcase through. The 2010 SHO/MKS used EV-290 and the really really early ones had a heated brown PCV.

The brown EV-290/EV-297/EV-298 PCV is basically used on all the V6 EcoBoost engines now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It’s frustrating that when my car is on OE Ford stock tune, it has no noticeable misfires or CELs. It’s definitely still very strong with the mods, even in stock tune. I’m still waiting for some decent weather to do a few Dragy tests.
I am a little surprised the car runs OK on a stock tune with the MKZ turbos. Seems like you would need some sort of tune to compensate for the improved airflow.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
19sport that is what I though as well but I was able to run low 13s with no tune and MKZ turbos

Reactions: 19sport

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Compressor maps and VE tables would be totally out of whack. Did you do any datalogging when you did that? I'm curious what air loads you were seeing...

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Metro I just updated the pids list on my SCT tuner and I will make a data log run this week , I no longer use the preset csv file sent by my old tuner to data log

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Metro I have decided to purchase the HP Tuners setup and give it a try , I am sure I will have a bunch of questions for you and Skipe

Reactions: metroplex

·
Registered
359 Posts
It,s a learning experience for sure, but give it time, and you,ll do fine. I lucked out since I,ve been tuning for five years so going to HP wasn't a big deal for me this year when I bought the Sport. I was tuning my 13 2.0 eco using Cobb which is a bit more complex than HP for some stuff. I think I'm gonna switch it to HP even though I,m selling it this spring.

401 - 420 of 471 Posts