Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have been a lurker on this forum for a few months now, and I have been looking at getting FFS for almost a year now since I read about it. I have just turned 18 and my 99' Expedition is getting a bit long in the tooth with 210k miles, so I am looking for a comfy, sporty daily.

I've found this specimen in Arizona (I live in Utah) and want some advice or opinions. It's a 2018 Ingot Silver Sport with 46k miles. Is that a lot of miles for the year? Can I expect to have the 2.7L be reliable even after a tune? I plan to run the car on 91 octane (Premium option here in Utah) so that may help. I've read lots about the 2.7 and it seems destined to be a bulletproof motor, but I am vaguely concerned with the reports of carbon build-up and lack of port injection.

So a few questions I'd have for current owners are:

• Was your FFS worth it? How is it to live with?
  • Any large repairs? What are my options for warranty on things like the engine and trans, are they also reliable?
  • What is maintenance and repair like? I am very much a DIY guy and only would take my Expy to the shop for a significant issue.
  • What should I know or look for before buying a FFS?
  • Anyone know of any independent mechanics down in Scottsdale, AZ that would do a pre-purchase inspection?

I am still a month or two away from buying it, but it is a great deal and regardless of if I get this one, I plan to get on soon as I have been in love with this car for a while.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to a discussion with you all!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hey all! I have been a lurker on this forum for a few months now, and I have been looking at getting FFS for almost a year now since I read about it. I have just turned 18 and my 99' Expedition is getting a bit long in the tooth with 210k miles, so I am looking for a comfy, sporty daily.

I've found this specimen in Arizona (I live in Utah) and want some advice or opinions. It's a 2018 Ingot Silver Sport with 46k miles. Is that a lot of miles for the year? Can I expect to have the 2.7L be reliable even after a tune? I plan to run the car on 91 octane (Premium option here in Utah) so that may help. I've read lots about the 2.7 and it seems destined to be a bulletproof motor, but I am vaguely concerned with the reports of carbon build-up and lack of port injection.

So a few questions I'd have for current owners are:

• Was your FFS worth it? How is it to live with?
  • Any large repairs? What are my options for warranty on things like the engine and trans, are they also reliable?
  • What is maintenance and repair like? I am very much a DIY guy and only would take my Expy to the shop for a significant issue.
  • What should I know or look for before buying a FFS?
  • Anyone know of any independent mechanics down in Scottsdale, AZ that would do a pre-purchase inspection?
I am still a month or two away from buying it, but it is a great deal and regardless of if I get this one, I plan to get on soon as I have been in love with this car for a while.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to a discussion with you all!
Hi @DarkArkAngel I'll try to answer a few of your questions, although I'm sure others will jump in as well.

First, I don't think 46k is extremely high for a 2018. We have folks on the forum with over 100k on theirs already (although I don't remember what years they were). Since you've read about the engine already, I'm sure you're already well aware of the sturdy CGI block. I've also read a lot of descriptions from folks who know a lot more about the inside of the engine than I do, who say the internals are built like a tank. I have no worries about the longevity of this engine. None.

My guess is that a lot of the miles on that 18 you're looking at are probably highway miles, but who knows. You can't know really.

Was my FFS worth it? Absolutely! This thing is a serious blast to drive. I love it. It feels, to me, a lot like my Dad's old Lincoln did, and of course when I want to get on it, it's got tons of power ready at any point. If even that isn't enough for you, you can always throw a tune on it and then it's just insane. But I don't even have mine tuned right now because honestly I just haven't felt the need so far. Of course if you do a tune, you're assuming some level of risk, but there are a lot of folks who have had great success with that.

Plus, with the dynamic suspension, you can push the sport button and it tightens up instantly and handles better, then when you get done with the twisties you hit it again and you're back to a softer, smoother ride, great for the highway.

Can't speak about repair. Haven't needed any. :)

As far as what to look for, just keep in mind the tradeoff with the early cars having some reliability issues with the engine mostly, those are mostly the early 17s. Then later cars started having some decontenting where Ford pulled some things off. For me, the 18 was kind of the sweet spot, because it isn't missing anything I care about, and still has the sound-deadening front side glass, for instance, as well as the AC outlet, more of the sound insulation than the 19s have, but a little less than the 17s. But I really love my 18.

You'll find fans of all 3 years here though. The 17s, when they're all fixed up, are awesome because they have everything. The 18s have almost everything, and the 19s have the advantage of being newer cars with usually lower miles, so all 3 years have a lot going for them.

And there's also the Lincoln MKZs out there too, that are even more posh, and if you can find one with a 3.0 (I think 18 was the last year for that maybe, but not sure) those are really nice, although usually a bit more pricey of course.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really as long as you know what you want.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
If you are still looking there is a 2017 FFS with 32k miles here in Las Vegas for 19900 at the local team ford dealer Ruby Red , I stopped buy and looked at it on Sunday pretty clean .

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi @DarkArkAngel I have had my 2017 since new and it has been a fantastic car! The only issue I had was fixed under warranty which was a tiny leak from the PTU (a seal).I don't drive a lot so it has about 16k miles. It has been running an Unleashed E30 tune with a slightly firmer transmission shift in the tune (shout out to Torrie) since almost day one, no problem. The tune made an incredible difference in the performance and drive ability for me, although still not really a sports car persay. My last car was a 700hp modified Camaro ZL1 so of course it is no comparison to that, but a very fun. reliable, and comfortable daily driver. I am always amazed at how quiet the interior is by comparison to so many other cars I have owned or driven, but my choice of cars might explain that.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @DarkArkAngel I'll try to answer a few of your questions, although I'm sure others will jump in as well.

First, I don't think 46k is extremely high for a 2018. We have folks on the forum with over 100k on theirs already (although I don't remember what years they were). Since you've read about the engine already, I'm sure you're already well aware of the sturdy CGI block. I've also read a lot of descriptions from folks who know a lot more about the inside of the engine than I do, who say the internals are built like a tank. I have no worries about the longevity of this engine. None.

My guess is that a lot of the miles on that 18 you're looking at are probably highway miles, but who knows. You can't know really.

Was my FFS worth it? Absolutely! This thing is a serious blast to drive. I love it. It feels, to me, a lot like my Dad's old Lincoln did, and of course when I want to get on it, it's got tons of power ready at any point. If even that isn't enough for you, you can always throw a tune on it and then it's just insane. But I don't even have mine tuned right now because honestly I just haven't felt the need so far. Of course if you do a tune, you're assuming some level of risk, but there are a lot of folks who have had great success with that.

Plus, with the dynamic suspension, you can push the sport button and it tightens up instantly and handles better, then when you get done with the twisties you hit it again and you're back to a softer, smoother ride, great for the highway.

Can't speak about repair. Haven't needed any. :)

As far as what to look for, just keep in mind the tradeoff with the early cars having some reliability issues with the engine mostly, those are mostly the early 17s. Then later cars started having some decontenting where Ford pulled some things off. For me, the 18 was kind of the sweet spot, because it isn't missing anything I care about, and still has the sound-deadening front side glass, for instance, as well as the AC outlet, more of the sound insulation than the 19s have, but a little less than the 17s. But I really love my 18.

You'll find fans of all 3 years here though. The 17s, when they're all fixed up, are awesome because they have everything. The 18s have almost everything, and the 19s have the advantage of being newer cars with usually lower miles, so all 3 years have a lot going for them.

And there's also the Lincoln MKZs out there too, that are even more posh, and if you can find one with a 3.0 (I think 18 was the last year for that maybe, but not sure) those are really nice, although usually a bit more pricey of course.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really as long as you know what you want.
I appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed reply!

I did make the assumption that the miles were mostly highway miles as well, would make sense that maybe it was a lease that came up early since the high mileage?

I did do a lot of homework on this engine, but I'm glad to hear that people who have been inside of it think the internals are so hardy! As long as it makes it almost as long as my 5.4 I'm good!

I'm glad to hear about the engine feeling so responsive! I'm definitely not looking for anything crazy, just fast. Has the transmission felt nice for you? I have heard some complaints that it is not quick enough on shifts.

The dynamic suspension is one of my main selling points for this car. The roads here in Utah are terrible and I'm tired of dealing with the significant amount of firmness my SUV has (comes with the territory there).

Do you know a full list of the decontenting? I'd love to see what was left and brought forward with each model iteration. I doubt I'd see anything that makes me want a 17 over an 18 but it's possible.

I'd love to get an MKZ, but have decided against it mainly due to my insurance rates as an 18 year old already being crazy. A luxury car brand probably wouldn't help me there. As it is I'm hoping the insurance company with think the FFS is just a normal Fusion and not bother to see the "sport". 😂

Again, thank you for all your time you put into responding! I really like understand a product before I buy it, especially a car.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @DarkArkAngel I have had my 2017 since new and it has been a fantastic car! The only issue I had was fixed under warranty which was a tiny leak from the PTU (a seal).I don't drive a lot so it has about 16k miles. It has been running an Unleashed E30 tune with a slightly firmer transmission shift in the tune (shout out to Torrie) since almost day one, no problem. The tune made an incredible difference in the performance and drive ability for me, although still not really a sports car persay. My last car was a 700hp modified Camaro ZL1 so of course it is no comparison to that, but a very fun. reliable, and comfortable daily driver. I am always amazed at how quiet the interior is by comparison to so many other cars I have owned or driven, but my choice of cars might explain that.
How firm of a shift can you get the transmission to? I likely will pick up a tune at some point, and the transmission I have heard can be a dog.

My grandfather has a newer A4 and that transmission is incredible. I doubt the 6 speed in our FFS's could be up to that level of responsiveness but it'd be cool to see!

Do you have any extra maintenance items you attend to with the tune? If so I'd love to hear any advice.

Thanks for coming on the thread and helping me out!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
Hi DarkArkAngel! As long as you take care of the regular maintenance on these cars you should not have any issues. Make sure take a look a the threads on here concerning the PTU. That is a maintenance item you will want to make sure you take care of. I would definitely look at the CARFAX for the car you are looking at to see what kind of maintenance the previous owner performed, if reported.
I currently have a 2017 FFS with 37K miles and have had no real issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How firm of a shift can you get the transmission to? I likely will pick up a tune at some point, and the transmission I have heard can be a dog.

My grandfather has a newer A4 and that transmission is incredible. I doubt the 6 speed in our FFS's could be up to that level of responsiveness but it'd be cool to see!

Do you have any extra maintenance items you attend to with the tune? If so I'd love to hear any advice.

Thanks for coming on the thread and helping me out!
With the enhanced tune and sport mode it has actually spun the tires shifting into 2nd with a hard launch, but that is likely due to overinflated tires. The shift is noticeably firmer under load, but only slightly more during normal driving. My ZL1 was auto also and it was significantly firmer after tuning, but probably too firm for longevity purposes. You have to remember these are slushbox autos (like so many others) with a torque converter, so there are trade offs. After the tune I was considerably happier with the overall feel of the car, I would not have enjoyed a stock fuspo. I am reminded of that when I unload the tune to take it for service or to pass the silly registration test (I am guessing it alters readiness on one or more sensors). I would have sold or traded this car long ago if it were stock.

I had a 2001 Audi S4 (in 2001) with the 2.7TT engine and this car feels noticeably faster (acceleration only) even though that one was modified. This makes sense as that car started with 250hp, although that car actually did have a quieter and much nicer interior (for the era). It was a 6 speed manual which I loved, but it also cost quite a bit more than the fuspo by comparison. The main reason I bought the fuspo is because it reminded me of that car.

No extra maintenance that I have done, just oil changes, but I am not as aggressive a driver as I used to be. Keep in mind the car only has 15K~ miles also. It is also significantly more responsive at partial throttle inputs, which can be deceptive as it feels considerably faster than it really is, but I love it!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grand to hear! I just went and test drive an example yesterday to get a feel!

I enjoyed it thoroughly, and while I won't be getting the one I drove anytime soon (some issues there) I will be getting one within the next month ideally.

Some thoughts. I love the seats, in fact, in my brief time with the vehicle I was surprised with how firm and compliant the seats were. I really quite liked them! The engine was not lacking for power, but the turbo lag was evident immediately. Once the turbos spun up however, my roommate said I was grinning like a 6 year old with that car.

I'm glad to hear the transmission can be tuned a little. Driving dynamics wise the transmission was my only slight dislike of the car, mainly due it's slow shifts and wonky shift logic. But assuming those get fixed slightly I'd be much happier with it.

Overall I'm super impressed with it and will be getting one as soon as I am able. I appreciate everyone's help and advice!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to give me such a detailed reply!

I did make the assumption that the miles were mostly highway miles as well, would make sense that maybe it was a lease that came up early since the high mileage?

I did do a lot of homework on this engine, but I'm glad to hear that people who have been inside of it think the internals are so hardy! As long as it makes it almost as long as my 5.4 I'm good!

I'm glad to hear about the engine feeling so responsive! I'm definitely not looking for anything crazy, just fast. Has the transmission felt nice for you? I have heard some complaints that it is not quick enough on shifts.

The dynamic suspension is one of my main selling points for this car. The roads here in Utah are terrible and I'm tired of dealing with the significant amount of firmness my SUV has (comes with the territory there).

Do you know a full list of the decontenting? I'd love to see what was left and brought forward with each model iteration. I doubt I'd see anything that makes me want a 17 over an 18 but it's possible.

I'd love to get an MKZ, but have decided against it mainly due to my insurance rates as an 18 year old already being crazy. A luxury car brand probably wouldn't help me there. As it is I'm hoping the insurance company with think the FFS is just a normal Fusion and not bother to see the "sport". 😂

Again, thank you for all your time you put into responding! I really like understand a product before I buy it, especially a car.
Hi @DarkArkAngel since you've already test-driven the car and decided to buy a different FFS than the one you drove I'll leave those pieces alone, but try to cover the other things you asked about. On the transmission, it sounds like you look at it about the same as I do, that it could be a little firmer. Although I actually don't think it's just terrible or anything, there are a lot of people who do. I don't, though. I look at it this way: Ford has to make the car for the bulk of people who are buying cars, so even though the car is a more performance-oriented car, if the shifting is too firm it's going to cause it to not appeal to a lot of folks. Most drivers want very smooth shifts. So Ford has a tendency to work hard to make their transmissions smooth, which means you have to soften things up. I don't blame them, it's all about finding a buyer.

When it comes down to it, the car moves. It knows how to get out of its own way.

There's actually a lot of the decontenting information on this forum, but I don't have the links handy offhand. All the years are fairly similar though, it's not like there's a glaring difference really even between the 2017 and 2019 years. But just minor stuff, really. Like I said, for me 2018 was the sweet spot, and when I went looking that's the year I wanted, and the year I ended up buying. But if you want absolutely everything, get a 2017, and if you want the latest with usually lower mileage (and, oddly, a few things like LED puddle lights that the others didn't have, even though they were generally decontented more) then you'd get a 2019. But again, the differences are really pretty minor.

Between the 2017 and 2018 the only things I remember offhand are the 2018 removed one 12v lighter jack inside the console, and some small amount of noise deadening material (maybe from under the seats I think?) was removed. There might be some other stuff but I'm not remembering it right now. I know 2018s still have the sound deadening glass in the front side windows, but the people who own 2019s say that doesn't even make a difference, and they've got even more sound deadening removed from various places. But the cars are still really quiet. So I'm thinking most of what was decontented doesn't matter anyway, to most folks. Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the years. They're just not that different.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi @DarkArkAngel since you've already test-driven the car and decided to buy a different FFS than the one you drove I'll leave those pieces alone, but try to cover the other things you asked about. On the transmission, it sounds like you look at it about the same as I do, that it could be a little firmer. Although I actually don't think it's just terrible or anything, there are a lot of people who do. I don't, though. I look at it this way: Ford has to make the car for the bulk of people who are buying cars, so even though the car is a more performance-oriented car, if the shifting is too firm it's going to cause it to not appeal to a lot of folks. Most drivers want very smooth shifts. So Ford has a tendency to work hard to make their transmissions smooth, which means you have to soften things up. I don't blame them, it's all about finding a buyer.

When it comes down to it, the car moves. It knows how to get out of its own way.

There's actually a lot of the decontenting information on this forum, but I don't have the links handy offhand. All the years are fairly similar though, it's not like there's a glaring difference really even between the 2017 and 2019 years. But just minor stuff, really. Like I said, for me 2018 was the sweet spot, and when I went looking that's the year I wanted, and the year I ended up buying. But if you want absolutely everything, get a 2017, and if you want the latest with usually lower mileage (and, oddly, a few things like LED puddle lights that the others didn't have, even though they were generally decontented more) then you'd get a 2019. But again, the differences are really pretty minor.

Between the 2017 and 2018 the only things I remember offhand are the 2018 removed one 12v lighter jack inside the console, and some small amount of noise deadening material (maybe from under the seats I think?) was removed. There might be some other stuff but I'm not remembering it right now. I know 2018s still have the sound deadening glass in the front side windows, but the people who own 2019s say that doesn't even make a difference, and they've got even more sound deadening removed from various places. But the cars are still really quiet. So I'm thinking most of what was decontented doesn't matter anyway, to most folks. Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the years. They're just not that different.
Thanks for reaching out again!

The car I drove was not the 18 I initially was discussing I should clarify. It was a 17 here in Utah. I decided not to consider it due to some serious cosmetic flaws in the paint and interior, as well as car having structural damage reported on it.

I also agree about the transmission. I understand Ford's reluctance to tune to the trans so aggressively due to the market this car resides in. Also, really good and cheap dual clutch transmissions are still pretty new, so no faulting them there.

I definitely plan to get one now however, I had a great time with the car.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hi @DarkArkAngel just a little more info for you, to help you understand how awesome this car is. :)

Durability testing information from some 2018 sales information, about the 2.7L Twin-Turbo V6 EcoBoost engine:

"Endured extreme thermal cycling at peak power -- from -25F to 230F"
"Engine run at peak torque and peak power, high engine speeds and cylinder pressure for over 17 straight days": I assume this means 24 hours a day cranking it at full power, but it says what it says
"Underwent stop/start testing of 240,000 starts over 917 hours"

So I feel fairly confident in my engine holding up. ;-)

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi @DarkArkAngel just a little more info for you, to help you understand how awesome this car is. :)

Durability testing information from some 2018 sales information, about the 2.7L Twin-Turbo V6 EcoBoost engine:

"Endured extreme thermal cycling at peak power -- from -25F to 230F"
"Engine run at peak torque and peak power, high engine speeds and cylinder pressure for over 17 straight days": I assume this means 24 hours a day cranking it at full power, but it says what it says
"Underwent stop/start testing of 240,000 starts over 917 hours"

So I feel fairly confident in my engine holding up. ;-)
That's f*cking crazy! Ford are absolute madlads for that torture test. Now I'm gonna be extra pissed off everytime I see some car who has no experience with EcoBoosts say "Truck bad cause V6 bad and turbos bad."

I'm glad to hear the engine in this thing is built so well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some of the first manufactured cars had engine issues that induced an engine exchange.
You need to look at the manufacturing date that is on the driver pillar. My 2017 FFS has no issue even if the manufacturing date is September 2016. I took an extended warranty because of that.
But now, if I wanted to buy a used FFS, I would buy one manufactured after January 2017.
The car is very nice to drive and confortable, very quiet.
It is only painful in the city traffic, as I live in LA.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Some of the first manufactured cars had engine issues that induced an engine exchange.
You need to look at the manufacturing date that is on the driver pillar. My 2017 FFS has no issue even if the manufacturing date is September 2016. I took an extended warranty because of that.
But now, if I wanted to buy a used FFS, I would buy one manufactured after January 2017.
I actually found the car a lot nicer in terrible city traffic than my old FF was, because I have the 401a with driver assist and all that jazz. The adaptive cruise and automatic braking makes city traffic so much easier! We have horrible traffic out here in North Carolina although I'm sure it's not what you deal with in LA. But it's horrendous compared to, say, even 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How does one go about finding the manufacturing date for a prospective Fusion? Is there a utility to search by VIN?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually found the car a lot nicer in terrible city traffic than my old FF was, because I have the 401a with driver assist and all that jazz. The adaptive cruise and automatic braking makes city traffic so much easier! We have horrible traffic out here in North Carolina although I'm sure it's not what you deal with in LA. But it's horrendous compared to, say, even 10 years ago.
I have been really hoping to find a FFS with adaptive cruise control, it really seems like a neat feature for highway cruising. So far I haven't found many with the option but I will keep looking. Also, I'd love to have that automatic parking assist. I would probably never use it but it'd be cool to impress my family and friends with. XD

Since people keep mentioning 401a and the other trims, what are the differences I should be aware of?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
Build date can be located on the driver side door tag.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts