Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post got hit with "awaiting for administration approval", and has yet to appear. I made a pretty well in depth post too, but now I do not feel like typing it up again unless some mod or admin allows it to post up. So this posting attempt will be shorter.

I am another 3.0T Lincoln owner here who has invested quite a bit of research in modifications and advancements in the 3.0T engine. Since darkstar seems to have come over here with his MKZ, perhaps it won't hurt for me to join in too with discussions as most modifications the 3.0T can use, will most likely benefit the Fusion Sport. Not much of it really goes on in the MKZ forums due to its average demographic owner.

I'll share more about my vehicle, knowledge, and modifications and what not if interest comes along (or my original post).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the FSF Forums! We'll look forward to learning from your experiences.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My first post got hit with "awaiting for administration approval", and has yet to appear. I made a pretty well in depth post too, but now I do not feel like typing it up again unless some mod or admin allows it to post up. So this posting attempt will be shorter.

I am another 3.0T Lincoln owner here who has invested quite a bit of research in modifications and advancements in the 3.0T engine. Since darkstar seems to have come over here with his MKZ, perhaps it won't hurt for me to join in too with discussions as most modifications the 3.0T can use, will most likely benefit the Fusion Sport. Not much of it really goes on in the MKZ forums due to its average demographic owner.

I'll share more about my vehicle, knowledge, and modifications and what not if interest comes along (or my original post).
Welcome dude! It did that crap to me on my first post and it still hasnt showed up, and I wrote a big post too! lol oh well glad to have you here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay that'll explain it, annoying to lose after putting all that effort into such a post. I'll try now to be a bit more elaborate.

A few photos of my MKZ and a list of modifications will be below. When darkstar showed up at the MKZ forums, I was surprised to see he is capable to doing what he has done, and so mentioned to him that the Fusion Sport community would be more lively in giving a hand in hardware upgrades, as both engines do share similar designs. Glad many are excited to get an Intercooler! I know I am!

I'm going to be one of the few rare ones who really appreciate the Lincoln very much. Took delight in putting down a factory order before the cars were released, so its assembly birth date is early April, and I finally got to drive it into the world in July of 2016.. 3.0T AWD with Driver's Package for maximum performance. Black Label trim with Vineyard interior theme, Diamond Black Metallic paint. Fully loaded with every package but the Panoramic Roof as I rather have the powered rear sun shade. Thankfully I must have not gotten any of the bad piston heads.

I do not blame people who test drive a 3.0T MKZ and feel it is lacking given the price for the engine, but that is the fault more so of the engine being restricted due to EPA fuel governing, budget, and expected demographics of buyers. Hence if you think the Fusion Sport's intake system is bad, the 3.0 MKZ has it even worse from reaching potentials. So in one way, it is nice these two vehicles have some good hardware synergy going on. These engines are a dream for a modder that enjoys the sleeper aspect!

I especially wouldn't recommend the 3.0 if you plan to cut down on fuel quality with 87 octane...as the 3.0 bog down worse than the 2.7 Fusion Sport does running 87, and so it appears both engines make nearly the same power. Without appreciating the styling and extra attention a MKZ gets over a Fusion, a buyer will question why even pay more for the supposedly more powerful engine. So dealerships already botch 3.0 MKZ test drives by putting in 87 Octane. I avoided that by filling up my MKZ with 93 since the dealership let me take it for a test drive by myself (and didn't do anything other than pre-basic inspections), and ha, I test drove it immediately to the nearest Shell station for some good 93 V-Power.

I live in southern Ohio, but am known to come up to Michigan too which I am now in the Grand Rapids area for work. Once I have darkstar's Intercooler installed I plan to take the MKZ down to US131 Motorsport Park for some Saturday T&T runs (since I only can get time on weekends). When back in Ohio, I'll probably go to Edgewater Sports Park.

Car is now over a year old now and around 20,000 miles. Been through a lot and its coming off as a promising great daily driver in many aspects. Money well spent for me at least.

Performance Mods:
-Livernois 93 Octane Firm Shift Tune
-Livernois Throttle Enhancer Controller
-Steeda Fusion Sport CAI, self-modified for better thermal resistance and fitment to the MKZ.
-Go Fast Bits Diverter Valve Plus 9358
-Michelin Pilot Super Sports (For Summer) and Blizzak LM001 (For Winter) Tires.
-Quantum Blue Custom Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, PTU Oil, Rear Differential Vectoring Oil, and HP Gold Coolant.
-ACES IV Gasoline Formula
-MSD Ecoboost 8260 Red Coil Packs
-Ford Performance 70mm Throttle Body (Used BBK 65mm 1894 Throttle Body prior)
-darkstar Intercooler (will install it next weekend)

Visual/Utility Mods:
-CQuartz Professional Ceramic Coating
-PVD Onyx Chrome 2017 and 2015 Black Label Wheels
-4 Note Delco Remy "Cadillac" Horns
-Door Arm and Buckle covers
-Plasti-Dipped Rear Bumper Valence in Luxury Black Sapphire
-Badges relocated from Trunk to Engine Cover and License Plate (I may drive a Black Label, but I appreciate Sleeper status)
-K&N Cabin Air Filter
-Paddle Shifter Extensions
-Steeda CD4 Jacking Rails (shared on my 2014 Fusion)
-Dash Cam A119S and Uniden R3 Radar Detector Hardwired

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ugh it did it again! Is it some kind of word limit or something? Last two posts got that approval like I put a bunch of bad language in it or whatever. Forum glitch or some real strict settings set for newcomers?

A few photos of my MKZ and a list of modifications will be below. When darkstar showed up at the MKZ forums, I was surprised to see he is capable to doing what he has done, and so mentioned to him that the Fusion Sport community would be more lively in giving a hand in hardware upgrades, as both engines do share similar designs.

I'm going to be one of the few rare ones who really appreciate the Lincoln very much. Took delight in putting down a factory order before the cars were released, so its assembly birth date is early April, and I finally got to drive it into the world in July of 2016.. 3.0T AWD with Driver's Package for maximum performance. Black Label trim with Vineyard interior theme, Diamond Black Metallic paint. Fully loaded with every package but the Panoramic Roof as I rather have the powered rear sun shade. Thankfully I must have not gotten any of the bad piston heads. Car is now over a year old now and around 20,000 miles. Been through a lot and its coming off as a promising great daily driver in many aspects. Money well spent for me at least.

I live in southern Ohio, but am known to come up to Michigan too which I am now in the Grand Rapids area for work. Once I have darkstar's Intercooler installed I plan to take the MKZ down to US131 Motorsport Park for some Saturday T&T runs (since I only can get time on weekends). When back in Ohio, I'll probably go to Edgewater Sports Park.

Performance Mods:
-Livernois 93 Octane Firm Shift Tune
-Livernois Throttle Enhancer Controller
-Steeda Fusion Sport CAI, self-modified for better thermal resistance and fitment to the MKZ.
-Go Fast Bits Diverter Valve Plus 9358
-Michelin Pilot Super Sports (For Summer) and Blizzak LM001 (For Winter) Tires.
-Quantum Blue Custom Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, PTU Oil, Rear Differential Vectoring Oil, and HP Gold Coolant.
-ACES IV Gasoline Formula
-MSD Ecoboost 8260 Red Coil Packs
-Ford Performance 70mm Throttle Body (Used BBK 65mm 1894 Throttle Body prior)
-darkstar Intercooler (will install it next weekend)

Visual/Utility Mods:
-CQuartz Professional Ceramic Coating
-PVD Onyx Chrome 2017 and 2015 Black Label Wheels
-4 Note Delco Remy "Cadillac" Horns
-Door Arm and Buckle covers
-Plasti-Dipped Rear Bumper Valence in Luxury Black Sapphire
-Badges relocated from Trunk to Engine Cover and License Plate (I may drive a Black Label, but I appreciate Sleeper status)
-K&N Cabin Air Filter
-Paddle Shifter Extensions
-Steeda CD4 Jacking Rails (shared on my 2014 Fusion)
-Dash Cam A119S and Uniden R3 Radar Detector Hardwired

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did you notice any difference with those MSD coils? Most of us in the Mustang world only use OE Ford coils as the aftermarket ones dont compare.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you notice any difference with those MSD coils? Most of us in the Mustang world only use OE Ford coils as the aftermarket ones dont compare.
Ha, I knew those were going to be questioned. I honestly decided to just try them because I figure no one else will and everyone will simply go by what the Internet judgment is, as I did read up on the many Mustangs who say MSD is bad. I have been daily driving with them for awhile though for at least 2000 miles with no issues of any kind, and so here is my thoughts:

They do improve over stock, but in a niche sense. If a coil pack is to be seen as an upgrade, the spark plug then is able to ignite more successfully even when under more pressure. It doesn't necessarily add more horsepower or torque on its own, but combat PCM penalties like when opening the throttle strongly for a quick rocket turn or letting the car run gear up to redline. In turn, this upgrade lets the driver execute more aggressive commands to the engine, but be ready for handling said power that the PCM won't cut back as harshly.

I can whip some oversteer into the MKZ pretty good as one noticeable change over stock, as the power will stay consistent instead of "stalling" like some people may have had issues when trying to aggressively turn their Ecoboost vehicles. I witness taking the RPM to redline will not harshly upshift, when in paddle shifting mode. It'll force upshift on its own and still maintain the power band decently and keep pulling. Going back to stock coils, and it'll bog noticeably more rough and hurt acceleration if I just let it run up to redline while in a pull before it auto-upshifts for safety.

I think it is a nice perk for my sporty driving desires, so no regrets buying them. But these coil packs were bought since I had all the other modifications (until the Intercooler came along) in place, and figured it would be interesting to try them out and see what happens for science, and for when I had one of the spark plugs foul under stock due to random misfire in the past. Those are the only two notable changes I can see differently between stock coils and MSD coils when used on my MKZ, as I have switch back and forth between the two a few times.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Is the 3.0 very different from the 2.7? I'm wondering because of the throttle bodies you use/used.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got your PM, but cannot reply till my post count gets up. Just wanted to let you know that.

The main differences for the 3.0: The most obvious is the engine block assembly itself, with one thing . Expect everything in the 3.0 to be basically bigger and thicker (Camshafts, Crankshaft, Rods, Valves, Piston/Cylinder Heads and so on). 3.0 Engine weight assembly is 409 lbs.

Along with the engine itself comes with bigger turbochargers, and fuel lines are larger/thicker to allow for more fuel delivery (but the fuel pump on both 2.7 and 3.0 are the same). The 3.0 also has a bigger and dedicated Engine Oil Cooler. There are some slight differences in the coolant system as well (mostly with hose connections and sizes for the engine block and turbochargers, along with the water pump itself), though both engines use the same radiator and thermostat parts.

·
Registered
481 Posts
welcome! glad to have you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts