Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the livernois tuner, can't wait to feel the power gains

Reactions: WaterISWet and Vert

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the dark side. Muwahahaha.
HAHAH TY! my wife was the one who egged me on to order it shockingly enough. Ive already looked at the flashing procedure and it doesnt say specifically anything for our cars. Im assuming its one press of the ignition without ur foot on the brake to get to the point where you can load the tune right?

Reactions: GorgonFusionSport17

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
HAHAH TY! my wife was the one who egged me on to order it shockingly enough. Ive already looked at the flashing procedure and it doesnt say specifically anything for our cars. Im assuming its one press of the ignition without ur foot on the brake to get to the point where you can load the tune right?
Yes to go into accessory mode then plug the tuner in and its always a good idea to have everything off including headlights.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You will not regret it! I got the Unleashed 93 tune at 700 miles and haven't looked back. I'm a computer dope, and I figured it out. Oddly enough, my gas mileage went up a bit. So much torque, you need much less gas pedal to maintain normal speeds. That doesn't happen very often, but it's a nice side benefit if you can drive normally. Good luck with that...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Too bad this would violate my ESP...

Right?

·
Registered
451 Posts

Right?
Depends what you mean by violate. If you damage the engine/turbos and they specifically look for software modifications (such as a tune), then there's a possibility your claim will be denied. IMO, it's a general consensus that it's a gray area. Even if you go back to stock, each flash resets some sort of mileage counter.

Think of it as a law that's not enforced all the time, but they could potentially nail you.

AFAIK, there are people on this forum that have had oil leaks, and even an engine replaced. Some with or without a tune. The tune was not questioned if I recall.

Bottom line, YMMV depending on dealer/service manager

Reactions: Vert

·
Registered
19 Posts

Right?
I was nervous also because of this until someone on here said something that made sense to me. If you wait to tune until after warranty and you have an engine problem, you have a 0% chance of warranty coverage. If you tune with Warranty, at least you have a decent chance of coverage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, by the time my esp is over, the car will be paid for 120k miles.

At that point I'm hoping its worth 10k at least and around 150k i will sell it and buy $40k or so more worth of car.

How much is the tune?

·
Registered
296 Posts
You will not regret it! I got the Unleashed 93 tune at 700 miles and haven't looked back. I'm a computer dope, and I figured it out. Oddly enough, my gas mileage went up a bit. So much torque, you need much less gas pedal to maintain normal speeds. That doesn't happen very often, but it's a nice side benefit if you can drive normally. Good luck with that...
I got the Unleashed tune as well and I was surprised to see my mpg go up as much as they did. But didn't know why. Nice to gain power and miles. Kinda like it pays for it self right!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Right?

So my brother is a senior Ford master tech and I actually asked him this same questions... He actually told me that when you overwrite the factory tune the computer keeps a log of when the new tune was applied... so basically it would read like this

Stock tune: applied 1/2/2017
reflash applied 3/7/2017

then lets assume that something happens and you take it to the dealer but prior to that you wish to flash it back to stock

it would read

Stock tune: applied 1/2/2017
reflash applied 3/7/2017
reflash applied 6/12/17 (todays) date

Evidently according to Ford the only people allowed to touch your PCM is them under the warranty, so while they may now know what you did or what the tune was... they would be able to tell someone re-flashed it

·
Registered
405 Posts
The only real way around that is to just buy a second PCM, flash that one to the tune you want and swap it out if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The only real way around that is to just buy a second PCM, flash that one to the tune you want and swap it out if something goes wrong.
I believe they are code written to the VIN of the vehicle plus it has to be programmed by Ford. Plus the swapped PCM mileage wouldnt match the odom. Swapping PCMs gives you more of a chance to get caught. I really think most dealers don't even check to see when the PCM was flashed last when they do warranty work.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tuner came today! sent in my email for the tunes. Cant wait!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Video of first WOT run for us? ;):)
hhaha maybe =) got the tunes unfortunately im driving to the car round trip about 1000 miles this weekend to clevland ohio and i dont want to have to mess with the tunes if they dont have 93 octane gas. Once i get back on Sunday im gonna do it.

Reactions: Knightfall

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh we have 93 octane, no worries there.
Sunoco's used to have "Ultra" 94 but a few years ago they
quietly switched to "ultra" 93

Search for the nearest Sunoco when you're there

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
hhaha maybe =) got the tunes unfortunately im driving to the car round trip about 1000 miles this weekend to clevland ohio and i dont want to have to mess with the tunes if they dont have 93 octane gas. Once i get back on Sunday im gonna do it.
Excuses, excuses lol. The best 93 gas in my area is Shells Vpower and you probably should avoid the mom n pop gas stations. I monitored my KR for 4 years straight on my boosted mustangs and Shell always gave me -3 on WOT runs. The -3 is adding timing back in and if it goes positive its bad since its pulling timing due to bad gas and knock. Marathon usually hovered around -2, but a plentiful gas station in my town called jiffy, my knock would be 0 or +1.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agreed. I've put 185k miles on my tune with Shell 93 and it has run great for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts