Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got lucky this week to get a large crack right up the center (Bottom to Top) of the windshield, right in my line of sight. Well, scheduled an appoint with the Safelite folks. Called to ensure that they ordered a windshield with the acoustic deadening and allowance for the lane keeping and rain sensing cameras. Customer Service agent asked for my VIN number to ensure that they got the correct one. According to them, I am supposed to have a heated windshield. I was not aware that we had heated windshields. I broke out my owners manual and it mentions nothing about a heated windshield. I'm curious how does the heated windshield get turned on. Possibly comes on automatically when you turn on the defrost air?
Any ideas folks?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Got lucky this week to get a large crack right up the center (Bottom to Top) of the windshield, right in my line of sight. Well, scheduled an appoint with the Safelite folks. Called to ensure that they ordered a windshield with the acoustic deadening and allowance for the lane keeping and rain sensing cameras. Customer Service agent asked for my VIN number to ensure that they got the correct one. According to them, I am supposed to have a heated windshield. I was not aware that we had heated windshields. I broke out my owners manual and it mentions nothing about a heated windshield. I'm curious how does the heated windshield get turned on. Possibly comes on automatically when you turn on the defrost air?
Any ideas folks?
Hi maydk. If your Fusion Sport has Lane Keep Assist, there are heating elements embedded in the windshield in front of the camera lens (on the back side of the rear view mirror). If it does not have Lane Keep Assist, then it is still a mystery.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have lane keeping. I've been doing some more research. It looks like the heating strips may also be located on the bottom of windshield where the wipers rest. But, still trying to find out how it is activated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I do have lane keeping. I've been doing some more research. It looks like the heating strips may also be located on the bottom of windshield where the wipers rest. But, still trying to find out how it is activated.
Hi maydk. Oooops...Yes, forgot about the base of the windshield for windshield wiper deicer equipped vehicles. Anyway, those two items are why you need a "heated windshield" replacement.

As far as how it works, see this video for the explanation:

Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went and took a look at hard look at the windshield today. After looking at the camera area, you can definitely see the heating elements in that area. Funny, I just never noticed them before.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Windshield replaced today and cameras calibrated. Safelite was $650, total. $350 was for the dynamic re-calibration.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Windshield replaced today and cameras calibrated. Safelite was $650, total. $350 was for the dynamic re-calibration.
I remember reading that my 2017 Sport had a soundproofing layer in the windshield. It is a dang quite car. I wonder if the replacement windshields have that feature?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I remember reading that my 2017 Sport had a soundproofing layer in the windshield. It is a dang quite car. I wonder if the replacement windshields have that feature?
Hi ColoradoGuy. If an owner needs a new windshield, they need to make sure the installer is using the correct acoustic glass replacement windshield, if that is what your car is factory equipped with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If it says "SoundScreen" then yes it does. Regardless of that, you should always get Carlite glass on a Ford.

Reactions: lyee

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Safelite requested my vin number to make sure they had the correct windshield. The new windshield has the word "Acoustic" on it and is a "Sound Proofing" glass. They (and I) verified that it was also a heated windshield.

Reactions: Fusion2881

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it says "SoundScreen" then yes it does. Regardless of that, you should always get Carlite glass on a Ford.
Hi DaMiFo. Curious why Carlite. I wonder if that is what Satellite supplies. Don't need a windshield now, just interested. I think there were threads early on about the factory windshields having problems with, basically, tiny scratches that show up big time if you get a sun glare situation. Mine has that but I'm not sure it is a problem, or if all cars have something like that in the right visual conditions.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Carlite is Ford OE glass. Safelite especially has a habit of using "OEM equivalent" glass, which is much cheaper and happens to be not as strong, so it chips, scratches, and cracks easier, which leads people to just go back eventually for another replacement under insurance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hootushead

·
Registered
391 Posts
Carlite is Ford OE glass. Safelite especially has a habit of using "OEM equivalent" glass, which is much cheaper and happens to be not as strong, so it chips, scratches, and cracks easier, which leads people to just go back eventually for another replacement under insurance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Good to know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts