Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, would like to run a problem by the forum to see if anyone can shed some light.

My left heated seat back stopped working. The bum heats but the back doesn't heat, however it does cool. I can hear the blower run and feel the air when set to cooled. The dealer diagnosed it as the seat back heater, which is the blower and to change the connector. I didn't like the price they gave me so I thought I would check here for what's going on.

The two parts from the diagnosis are as follows
GU5Z-19N550-A - blower for heated back seat
WPT-1565 - Wire kit

My question is whether the blower actually blows heat or just air? Apparently there is no heater core in the seat so of course I'm assuming it comes from the blower. Wondering where the heat actually comes from.

Any tips or experience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you... Pete

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a large guy lean in once in my old fusion and he put his whole weight on the seat with his fist at that point my seat no longer heated, basically the element broke as I found out when I replaced it. Not that this has anything to do with your issue but it is still good to know.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just had my car in the dealership last week for the same issue, although I made them replace the seat track due to excessive slop while it was there since it was under warranty
The blower only blows ambient air, I believe it runs when the seat heater is activated due to a cold back when the element was not functioning.

You can check the resistance of the element through the connector to see if it's broken.

I took my car in with 35,800 miles, just made it, Monday I promptly purchased a 7/100,000 mile warranty from Flood Ford.
No way I'm owning this car without one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea that's what I thought about doing, when It's nicer weather of course. Just don't understand why a new blower when it works. You're also right about the extended warranty I think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The climate controlled seats use a thing called a Thermoelectric Device (TED). The TED heats or cools the air, then distributes it through the seat. Its both the means of adjusting the temperature and the blower motor. The heating portion of the TED must be out, which is why it still cools and you can hear the blower motor, just no heat. Only regular heated seats use the traditional heating element.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not on the heated/cooled seats. The heating element is only present on vehicles with simple heated seats. Heated/cooled seats use the TED, which is responsible for heating and cooling air, then distributing it to the seat cushions. There is a separate TED for the upper and lower cushion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you very much for the reply. Is the TED integrated in the blower or is it a separate part?

Asking because the only parts listed by the dealer are the blower and wiring kit. Of course this was confusing because it still blows, just gets cool in both heat and cool functions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts