Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my car used and when I bought it, I noticed the the passenger side heated and cooled seat wasn't working. The button and lights would work in the center console but the seat wouldn't get hot or cool on the back or bottom. You couldn't hear the motors. It was completely dead. I told the sales guy and he had it handled for me. A few months later, the driver's side did the same thing. It wasn't under warranty so I started researching. I couldn't find much information about them so I've just lived with it. Then one day I had it into the dealer for something else and they gave me the Oasis report. The Oasis report showed me the part numbers they used to fix the passenger seat so I started researching them. I discovered that the part numbers were for the thermo electric devices (TED units) in the seat. They are the same part numbers for passenger or driver's side. Since the other seat was experiencing the exact same issue, I thought I'd roll the dice and try to replace them myself. I bought a set of used TEDs on eBay. The seller said they came from a 2019 MKZ. I spent about $100 for the pair including shipping. I was dreading replacing them because I assumed the seat would have to be disassembled but it's getting cold in Ohio and I wanted toasty buns so I decided to tackle it. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated and I forgot to take any pics but here's a little write up on it so hopefully if yours quit working, you can fix it too.

Part numbers from the TEDs I replaced are DU5A-96600D56-CB (bottom) and GU5A-96600D42-BB (back). The guy at my dealership told me that the TED for the back runs through the one for the bottom. He said if the bottom one fails, they will both stop working. He said that if the back one fails, the bottom will continue to work. Since neither of mine worked I opted to replace them both, just to be safe. Although if what he told me is correct, I probably only needed to replace the bottom one. I was also confident that since the lights in the console all worked, and the passenger seat worked, I was dealing with a problem in the seat itself and not a larger issue with the car.

First step is to remove the seat. There are 4 torx head bolts. I think they are T50. You will have to slide the seat back to get the front bolts and then forward to get the rears. There are plastic trim covers covering the front bolts. A small flat screwdriver will pop them out. Once the bolts are removed, tilt the seat back and unplug the two, large connectors under the seat. Then you can remove the seat from the car. Although not technically necessary, removing the headrest from the seat will make removal and installation easier.

To replace the bottom TED, flip the seat over so you can access the bottom. You may want to do this close to the vehicle so you can plug it back in and move the seat bracket if necessary. It turned out I left my bracket in pretty much the worst position possible but I had taken the seat inside where it was warm and didn't want to put it back in the car so I just dealt with it. Replacement probably would have been quicker if I had just moved the bracket. You will need to unhook the clips holding the bottom seat foam onto the seat frame. This will allow you to get your hands between the seat foam and frame to access the 3 bolts that hold the bottom TED in place. They are small, torx head bolts too. I don't remember what size but I think T15 or T20. I used a 1/4" ratchet with a torx socket and it wasn't too bad. After that, unplug the wiring and pull the unit out. Put the new one in, tighten the bolts, plug it in, reattach the seat foam and you're done.

For the back TED, near the base of the back there is a little fabric flap with some elastic straps and velcro. Remove them and you should be able to look up inside the seat back and see the TED (I had to unplug two more connectors to get the elastic off of their clips as the connectors actually trap the elastic straps beneath them). The only tool you should need to remove this TED is a razor knife. The TED is attached to the seat by some clips that just snap onto a stiff wire in the foam frame. Be careful with it but it will just come unclipped. There is a small duct that pushes onto a piece of plastic in the seat foam. It is held on with a zip tie. You will need your knife to cut this tie. Unplug the wiring connector and the TED will come right out. Put the new one in and clip it into place. Plug it back in and make sure you secure the new duct with a zip tie so it doesn't come unhooked inside the seat. Plug all of your connectors back in, reattach the elastic straps and then re-clip the fabric flap and velcro.

Finally put your seat back into the car. Plug in the two big connectors first and then bolt the seat down. Make sure your bolts are tight! Start the car and verify that your fish fryer/weenie roaster/cooler is now working correctly. If you don't want to wait for the seat to heat up, do what I did and turn off the climate control and radio and then hit the cooling on the seat. You will be able to hear the motors start whirring.

Sorry for the absence of pics but hopefully this will help some of you guys fix your seats and save some money. I can't believe I'm the only one out there that has experienced this problem. Especially since it has happened to both of my seats now. Good luck!

tldr - if your heated and cooled seat is completely dead but the lights in the center console work as they should, replace your TED units

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
Great writeup! This needs to be a stickie

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts