Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody getting flashed by oncoming traffic because the lights on these Fusion's are too bright? Every time I drive at night, three to four cars are doing this to me. It's starting to get old. And before anybody ask, no I haven't touched the the headlights.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
yeah, its the LEDs. Just shine your brights at them when they do it, then they will realize that its not the case. Just like how it is with people with the HID headlights as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not yet surprisingly, especially driving on a lot of pitch black 2 lane roads in the WI countryside. Know they are bright as ****, even too bright in wet conditions as everything bounces back light at you.

On the other hand, I drove my wife's truck a couple days ago at night. It was kinda scary, could barely see clearly like 50ft in front of me going 70mph lol. Had never bothered me before. FS is the first car I've had without regular incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Haven't been flashed yet and I drive with the fog lights locked on anytime my headlights kick on... Not quite bright enough for me without the fogs on. Maybe not aimed right? Seems like both headlights are aimed to a point about 100 feet ahead and have dark spots off to the sides.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
A few times. Usually when cresting a slight hill so I'm shining right in their face.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been flashed a couple of times, but when I flash them back they realize their error. I love the LED headlights. My wife has a 2008 Fusion SEL with original halogen bulbs and I never realized how horrible they are.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Haven't been flashed yet and I drive with the fog lights locked on anytime my headlights kick on... Not quite bright enough for me without the fogs on. Maybe not aimed right? Seems like both headlights are aimed to a point about 100 feet ahead and have dark spots off to the sides.
Interesting, mine seem almost the opposite. Probably the biggest observation I have with mine is the fact that the fog lights shine wider than I've ever seen before.
I've yet to be flashed too. I'll have to pay more attention to my illuminated distance forward. I certainly have the sides covered with the fog lights. Anybody else?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also get flashed. As a general rule I have the low beams and fog lights on at night.
I really like the way the low beams and the fog lights together light up the road, the ditch on the right, the median, the....
Anyway, they have to be the best set of headlights on a vehicle that I have owned so far.

I have not flashed them back yet. I just sort of ignore it. Who knows, flashing the brights might blind them which might not be good.

Reactions: Mag17

·
Registered
529 Posts
I get flashed on occasion, usually when cresting hills. One thing you can do is check the aim of your lights to ensure they aren't to high. Our housings do have a pretty tight cutoff with minimal light leakage. My Sierra Denali has LED lights as well, but they are inside a projector housing. The light cutoff on those is much cleaner.

I checked my lights after about 1,000 miles:
  1. Measure distance from ground to center of light housing (not the light assembly, but where the bulb is)
  2. Park on level surface, pointing vehicle perpendicular to a flat wall 25 feet away
  3. Turn on lights
  4. Mark on the wall the distance you captured in step 1
  5. using the lower cutoff of the driver side light beam, ensure it is 2" below the marking from the previous step
  6. Make sure passenger side light beam shadows the driver side. There should be a uniform cut off.

This is a little more straight forward with projector housings with a proper cutoff installed. However, you can apply the same steps to our headlights.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wouldn't really know if people are flashing me, since the vast majority of drivers in my area drive with their brights already on. They're considerate like that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I wouldn't really know if people are flashing me, since the vast majority of drivers in my area drive with their brights already on. They're considerate like that.
Ya know... I too struggle with this... I boil it down to the 32,982,739,874,119,077.7 distractions people face while doing the one thing their supposed to do in a car... pay attention.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I have only been flashed once since I got the car 5 months ago, and that was while I was going over a crest in the road, and I too have my fogs on all the time. I have however noticed the LEDs on the new Explorer and F-150 are really blinding (there are a ton around my area), even if I drive our Escape they blind me. I've yet to see anything worse than the new Carollas with the LED lights, tho.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The new Exploders are awful... It seems like there is so much light scatter and no cutoff to contain light leak.

I wonder if it is the project housing the light sits in that causes the issue? I didn't have this problem with our Impala that had HID. Those lights were amazing!

Do we know the lumen output of our LED headlights bulbs? Are they higher than HID?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts