Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any posts on headwork on this or other FFS Forums. My experience with headwork has been great. Although it's been with American V8's. Some Mustang 2.3l have had headwork done with great results. Faster spool-up, better et's etc. Head work seems to be complimentary to forced induction. You know that if I'm going to go thru the effort to upgrade my Turbo's I am going to pull the heads, with not much additional work.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I haven't seen any posts on headwork on this or other FFS Forums. My experience with headwork has been great. Although it's been with American V8's. Some Mustang 2.3l have had headwork done with great results. Faster spool-up, better et's etc. Head work seems to be complimentary to forced induction. You know that if I'm going to go thru the effort to upgrade my Turbo's I am going to pull the heads, with not much additional work.
There's a lot more work with a DOHC engine.

It's not like the old 5.0 ohv days.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
MMR is doing some awesome work with the new 5.0, I would think there is room for improvement on the 2.7 3.0 heads, but the mono exhaust port set up make that side a bit harder. I would say a good clean up on the intake side of things would net some good gains.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It’s been awhile since I looked inside the intake manifold but I remember it looked terrible for flow to my eye. There were sharp edges, odd shapes that I could see. Being plastic I figured it couldn’t be refined much by hand. I figured with the forced induction the intake manifold ceased to be such an important factor as it would be with NA engines...but memories triggered by the “old 5.0 OHV days” made me think of Extrude Hone and how it made such a improvement in my ‘91 3.8 SuperCoupe. I wonder if it matters how much you work the heads if you do t work the intake manifold, too? Does anybody have technical knowledge, personal experience, or just educated opinion on the intake manifold for these engines?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply gentlemen. I going to give MMR a call when i'm ready to upgrade my Turbos.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
The laws of fluid dynamics apply the same to forced induction engines as they do NA engines. The air flows in both engine types from an area of higher pressure to an area of lower pressure. The easier it is for the air to flow, the more power you make. The only difference is that an NA engine has a relatively fixed itake pressure (atmo) vs the variable intake pressure of a forced induction engine.

Reactions: Shawnski and Skipe

·
Registered
847 Posts
A person could design a after market intake pretty easy for these, there a flat plane surface, and no port fuel injection, but one could build one to make use of it on top of the indirect. Space being a premium under the hood is the big issue I see, but it could be done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I graduated Aeronautical Dowling college in Oakdale NY 1975. I seem to remember that regardless of the atmos pressure, the less the restriction the more air will flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts