Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been running my tablet with Torque Pro to get a full complement of gauges for my sport. While I have a mount that works good I really wanted what everybody else wants gauges built in. While this isn't a built in gauge it is something that so far, last couple days, has been functioning well. It's an app called ODB2AA and it utilizes the Android Auto connection to display gauges on your 401A head unit. There are limitations and requirements to get this operational and the app itself cost a whole $1.99.

First off you have an Android based phone with Android Auto installed. Then you need the Torque Pro app ($4.95), a OBD adapter of some kind that works with teh Torque App (I use a ODD Link MX Bluetooth adapter $79.95), the OBD2AA app and your USB charging/data cable. You can most likely use a cheap ODB adaptor but back when I first purchased my car and I planned writing changes to modules, data logging and other troubleshooting software I didn't want to take a chance on a $5 adapter. So I'll leave that decision up to you.

You have to have patients when dealing with initially setting all this up but once done it has been seamless.

The first thing is to get your Torque Pro app running on you phone and talking to your adapter. Make sure will display live data.

Once that is done, install Android Auto and get it connected it to you car. Once enabled and connected Android Auto should automatically connect when your phone is plugged into the car. (Both USB ports under head unit and in console will work for this.).

Now follow the link below for instruction to install the XDA Labs App and then purchase and download the ODB2AA app. I followed these instruction and didn't have any issue getting everything installed.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/app-obd2-plugin-android-auto-torque-t3657805

Once OBD2AA app is installed do the following:
Instructions on how to use from XDA:

1. Make sure you do not have any other 3rd party app Android Auto app installed.
  2. Open the app and hopefully it will be quite self explanatory on how to set it up (choose colours, set gauge number, etc)
  3. Open Android Auto (on the phone), go to About, tap the "About Android Auto" header 10 times, once you are a developer from the 3 dotted right corner menu select "Start Headunit Server" (ROOT users can skip this step!)
  4. Close Android Auto
  5. MAKE SURE YOUR SCREEN IS UNLOCKED and connect to the car, when prompted which app to use select "OBD2AA" and always (this needs to be done one time only) - If you are a HUR user select Android Auto and always! (If you do not see the prompt to chose, please go to settings -> apps -> all apps -> Google Play Services -> Clear Defaults and then try again)
  6. Select the last tab on the right, by pressing it again you should see an app selector and choose OBD2AA
  7. Give it a bit of time to start pulling the data from Torque.
You will have to configure your gauges, type gauges, and what PIDs you want to monitor. When finished you should get something like this...

If you have any questions let me know I'll be glad to assist.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I like that...thanks!

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe a silly quesiton but...is this a one time setup or do you have to do this process each time you drive the car?

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a silly quesiton but...is this a one time setup or do you have to do this process each time you drive the car?
Once you have it setup it's good to go you just press the lower right icon for gauges to be displayed.

Reactions: gjhazlett

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was playing with it again tonight running the 5 Gauge Cluster. On my Boost Gauge (gauge #1 large center cluster gauge) I set the Use Arch Color for Test option and set the Warning Level 1 = 35/Warning Level 2 = 65, Now the arch sweep progressively goes from red to green as the boost increases. The numerical Boost PSI number does the same. Something else I noticed is my volume notifications display in the center larger gauge of the 5 gauge cluster. It looks pretty slick.

I need to test the import/export feature. HERE is a link to my 5 gauge cluster setup if somebody wants to grab it, extract it and import it.

Reactions: El Beaner

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 Gauge with Custom Color Shift

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 Gauge Setup Volume Intergration

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm so doing this

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As this is running via the OBDII port you can't datalog with the SCT Programmer and have the gauge display. Torque Pro has it's own built in data logging capability. Settings, Data Logging and Upload, Logging Preferences, Select what to log, choose PID's in the Log PID Manager. You want to be connected to car w/engine running for all active PID's to display.

I know there are ODBII port splutters out there but I have never used one and I know our cars OBDII port can be finicky.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is awesome! I am tempted to get an android phone now but before I do anyone know of a way to do this with Apple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
This is awesome! I am tempted to get an android phone now but before I do anyone know of a way to do this with Apple?

It can't, Apple does not allow unknown source apps to be installed.

·
Registered
491 Posts

You can also just get a small android tablet instead of changing your phone. They are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah that is an option. I use Apple car play for my GPS and for music. We have 2 USB ports in the cars so I wonder if you could run both?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah that is an option. I use Apple car play for my GPS and for music. We have 2 USB ports in the cars so I wonder if you could run both?

You can't run both concurrently(have tried)

But you could just turn on your wifi hotspot on your phone, get a cheap android phone(since you use GPS) and then setup Waze on the Android, Google Maps and then sign into all your music apps and then just tether that phone to your iPhone for the data connection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have purchased, downloaded, installed and configured everything to get this going I am just waiting on the OBD dongle to arrive.

I imported your gauge setup for fast setup so I was able to see the gauges on the screen just without live data.

All in with priority shipping it was just under 100cad. This is a great feature for anyone that likes to be aware of the cars data.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
Quick question, the button you hit to display the gauges is the button that would normally take you back to sync 3. Is there another way go to sync 3? Only ask because thats the only way i know to change the hvac settings or radio station.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried this out on a cheap bluetooth adapter and the gauges skip around and aren't very fluid. It might have always done this in torque and I just didn't notice. I went ahead and purchased the OBDLink MX.

Quick question, the button you hit to display the gauges is the button that would normally take you back to sync 3. Is there another way go to sync 3? Only ask because thats the only way i know to change the hvac settings or radio station.
If you hit the button again it will bring up the return to sync option. You can also hit the sound button under the screen and that will take you out of AA quicker.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The three bars in the upper left corner will give you sync option when gauges are displayed if I am remembering it correctly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts